Arc LE hard to turn...is this normal or a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased my first Arc LE. I like the color of the housing and the color of the LED but noticed something. The head is quite smooth in texture compared to my Arc turquoise EV. It is also quite stiff to turn. These two things together make the LE require 2 hands to operate. Is this normal or does mine have a problem?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is normal... Lube it up good, take out the battery and turn it off and on about 100 times. This will loosen it up some and "seat" the o-ring... happy twisting!!!

Darell

Flashaholic
I like to clean all lube off the threads with a mild solvent then relube. Then twist 100 times, wipe the lube off one more time (with accompanying black gunk) and relube. Then you should be good to go. The more you use the light, the nicer it is to use...

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, thats what I meant.
rolleyes.gif

Darell, Go back to bed!
grin.gif
wink.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...as if my carpal tunnel syndrome weren't bad enough already
smile.gif

Peter? Really? Is this the only solution?

Darell

Flashaholic
Sorry, me again.

No, that is not the only solution. You want the EASY way? Shoulda asked that the first time. Take the O-ring off, and forget about it. Problem solved.

I'm quite serious, too.

I give this advice for free, you know....

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did that on a couple. Worked very well, & as long as you aren't going swimming with it, should be no problem. Later, I put them back on & worked much better. Think the threads may have been stiff. TX

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
water shouldn't matter in the compartment...at least that's what people have said, i'm not brave enough to try it!

aragorn even changed his battery under water...

bucken

Enlightened
Seriously, removing the o-ring seems to do no harm. I have a couple of LE's that have gone through the washer & dryer countless times (always carry one in a pajama pocket and the wife never removes it). Neither one has o-rings. At worst, just dry out any moisture with a paper towel. They just keep working fine.
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Doesn't even matter if you go swimming with it. Works find even with the battery tube full of water.

None of the youngsters out there will know what I'm talking about, but I'm starting to feel like a broken record. A scratched CD, if you will...

smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
tongue.gif

Here Darell--I'll bring it up to 2002 Standards

A MP3 when the remote comptuer (The one the MP3 is on) is shut off.

Darell

Flashaholic
I think "record" even predated "LP" which predated "album" which predated "vinyl."

There are some days when I feel far, far too old. But my two-year-old keeps me frisky.

Tomas

Banned
What helped my Arc AAA's (and Arc LS) was to remove the "O" ring and put lube in the channel it rides in, then put it back on. This allows it to move much more easily.

After doing that I ran the head and body back and forth on their threads with no batteries installed a number of times, then cleaned the threads and re-lubed - lightly.

They all work just fine now. Smooth with just the proper amount of needed friction to keep them from unscrewing ...

tomsig01.gif

(The first pop record I ever bought was a 78 RPM by Frankie Laine ... )

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i did the same thomas...seemed to work better.

i recently replaced the o-ring, and it just takes some time to smooth it out i think.

i recently desoldered teh solder blob, and added a much, much thinner and filed it down to about the same height as the lip of the 3.1 in order to reduce the gap between the head and the body...it seems to be a little harder to turn...could that be true, or is it just my imagination? (i did this about the same time i reduced the solder blob)

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
remove the O-ring huh...I think I'll try that. I did notice the other day that the O-ring does appear to be a little on the large size...

Status
Not open for further replies.