L1D & P2D Questions ?

Budman231

Enlightened
Are these two lights exactly the same except that the body of the P2D will accept the cr123 cell ?

If so, does that mean we won't see a 123 body for the L1D..?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D and L1D heads are the same. The tailcaps will not interchange. 4Sevens says there will be P2D body and tailcap later.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Budman231 said:
If so, does that mean we won't see a 123 body for the L1D..?

The 123 body for the L1D will be a P2D body and tailcap (since the tailcaps are not interchangeable). 4Sevens said they should be under $20 when they become available.

Budman231

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

I really wish Fenix would go modular so we could pick, choose and build our own dream lights from parts that work together. I guess someone over there thinks it would be a bad financial move to offer the product this way. These lights are so similar now but they do crap like making the tailcap a different size. It is frustrating to say the least ... :mad:

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Budman231 said:
Thanks for the info.

I really wish Fenix would go modular so we could pick, choose and build our own dream lights from parts that work together. I guess someone over there thinks it would be a bad financial move to offer the product this way. These lights are so similar now but they do crap like making the tailcap a different size. It is frustrating to say the least ... :mad:

I think a lot of that has to do with their ongoing R&D, and the very quick way they get things out.

They design something, then release it. Then improve on it, and release the improvement, which is not necessarily backwards compatible.

A perfect example of this is the L1D/P2D:

They use the same head, but the 123 is larger diameter than a AA, so the body has to be reamed out more. On the tail end, it would have made the body wall too thin where the o-ring was, so they had to make the tailcap slightly bigger to accommodate. Hence, the tailcaps aren't interchangeable.

They could have thought about this before releasing the L1D, and designed and prototyped and worked all the bugs out of the P2D before the L1D was even released, but that would have delayed the L1D by months at least.

Interchangeability would be nice, but it's nicer to have SOMETHING.

Budman231

Enlightened
Ya I understand your point of view. The problem is that all the light are so similar it doesn't seem like a bit of forward thinking would be that hard. To go to the trouble design-wise to make a multi-volt, multi-light head as sophisticated as the L1D head and screw up on the thickness of tube because of the tail cap because you never considered the 123 cell seems a bit strange and rookie-like. It seems more likely to me that they are thinking ahead but choose to make things just a little different so we have to continue to buy the entire light to get a small change. I don't know... Just don't know.

chanamasala

Enlightened
Does anyone know if once one of AWs 3.7v RCR123s enters regulation on max in the P2D, will you then have all the differnet levels, i.e. low, med, strobe, etc?

mchlwise

Enlightened
chanamasala said:
Does anyone know if once one of AWs 3.7v RCR123s enters regulation on max in the P2D, will you then have all the differnet levels, i.e. low, med, strobe, etc?

Yes, once the cell reaches a certain voltage, you have all the levels.

Unfortunately, you don't have a whole lot of capacity left at that point. :(

mchlwise

Enlightened
riffraff said:
CR123 primaries work okay for you? Huh.

They work fine for me too. :shrug:

I can't speak for the beamshots, but my P2D on a 123 primary is noticeably brighter than my L1Dce on NIMH or L91. :rock:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Work for me too. These numbers are for comparison only. The P2D on turbo with primary....148, with an R123....156. This is using a light meter and ceiling bounce.