E1L help me hotrod mine

Bigmark408

Newly Enlightened
I would like to Hotrod my E1L...the problem is that i dont know nothin about lights.

can you folks tell me whats out there.....cool tailcaps, head mods,ect....

please post some pics of your Modded El1's so i can get some idea's.

and recomendation's on someone to mod the head.

please keep in mind that i dont know much about lights so keep it simple so i can understand.

Energie

Enlightened
The E1e is a very nice object to mod.
In the pics below you can see several tailcaps (E2D, Mc Gizmo tailstand and
2 stages) and two versions of the head: with the stock optic and a McR20-S reflector. Both have a SSC P4 emitter.

I think, the best way to start is, to contact milkyspit, the master of surefire-mods.

e1e-34.jpg

e1e-35.jpg

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Energie said:
The E1e is a very nice object to mod.
In the pics below you can see several tailcaps (E2D, Mc Gizmo tailstand and
2 stages) and two versions of the head: with the stock optic and a McR20-S reflector. Both have a SSC P4 emitter.
e1e-34.jpg

e1e-35.jpg
:kewlpics: I hate to hijack this post but I'm thinking of modding my E1L with a Seoul and reflector - how do you like the reflector over the stock optic? Good throw or very floody?

ROK

Enlightened
You can use only SSC LED due to the heatsink shape of KL1.
eyeeatingfish said:
Do the soul and cre LEDs just drop right in?
How about other 2L flashlights?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflector is definately the way to go, even stock its a huge improvement. Then you
can add a Seoul and then a 2 stage tailcap. Milkyspit or CM or grnamin are who I
would contact. KL1s are hard to crack open without marring the finish.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
I used strap wrench and was able to open 2 with no problems at all... prior to the strap wrenchs, i marred my orginal KL1. The right tools can make a world of a difference

ensile

Enlightened
so with straps, a p4 u-bin + some time these lil things can be modded fairly easily ? can I just ask, Brightness, what kind of increase (not technical, approx like 1/3 or 1/2 more light), run-time any increase ?

cheers

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
ensile said:
so with straps, a p4 u-bin + some time these lil things can be modded fairly easily ? can I just ask, Brightness, what kind of increase (not technical, approx like 1/3 or 1/2 more light), run-time any increase ?

cheers

strap wrenchs makes opening the head much easier. basic soldering skills needed. I'd get the McR20s reflector too. you can get you parts from sandwich shoppe. its where I got mine.

using primary cells, I'd say over 2 times brighter and the beam with the reflector is much more useful, slightly less throw than optics. I've tested both outdoors and prefer the reflector.

good luck

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've opened 7 KL1's now with just a heat gun and a strap wrench. None of them had any marring to the finish. I have only had 1 head that I couldn't open, and I didn't try to hard on it cause I had run out of new LEDs to put in it.

I really like what a reflector does for the beam, the Kharod 20mm smooth reflectors are a nice cheap alternative to the McR20, but the McR20 is best.

The hardest part is opening the head. The last two I had opened at the BACK side first! That made things difficult, but it was still managable.

Now if I could just get this X200 open i'd be set. Its proving much more stubborn than KL1's.

schiesz

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to suggest the Seoul/McR20s mod as well. grnamin was kind enough to break open my KL1 head for me, and he swapped out the original optic for a UCL lens and McR20 reflector. I then swapped the emitter(USWOH Seoul) and sanded down the reflector to match the beam profile of the Seoul....rather than buying a new reflector. This set-up rocks, over double the output with the same runtime! :) Now I just need someone to mod my McClicky into a 2-stage switch for me :whistle:

m5shooter

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone or dealer sell these lights already modded with all the goodies.
If so where and how much?
I would like one but don't want to mess with it myself.

ensile

Enlightened
ok, so the runtime's are the same, i think i'll wait for the new model. that apprently has something in the ways of 17hours ? if I were to mod one, i'd keep the original optic, there's somethinig about throw that makes me happy, deep down inside.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
new KL1 according to current specs won't be nearly as bright. 17 hours total runtime, max output runtime is going to be less than 17 hours. I still might get one but will have to wait and see since i'm very happy with my modded KL1.