can anyone recommend a cross-country moving company?

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a cross-country moving company? One that won't steal or lose my stuff? Of course, my flashlight collection is coming in my vehicle with me.
naughty.gif

Thanks!

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
Last time I moved I used PODS. I had some friends help me load up and at my new place I found some movers on Craigslist.

The only sucky thing was when I booked, they quoted me a 5 day delivery from the day I called to pickup. But because I called right in the middle of the holidays it actually ended up being 10, which was a major pain. I'm sure it was 100% holiday related though.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I guess it depends on what type of service and the amount of stuff you're moving.

We used ABF for our across the country move. It's sort of a DIY deal, though. You get to pack your own stuff, they deliver a container to your door, you load it up, they pick it up... 3-5 days later your stuff is wherever you're going on the other side of the country. They drop of the container at your location, you unload, they take it away. Their prices were very decent and they service was good.

If you want something fancier where they come into your place and package and load everything themselves, that's a completely different story (and price range).

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read through this earlier CPF Moving thread... The moving companies can be giant scam machines with estimates/binding estimates/finding out that a binding estamite is not binding--hold your stuff hostage...

Check out your moving company throughly--references, everything.

Moving Scams:

Please be aware, that "Binding Estimates" are not binding... They can, and do, double the price when they showup at the new place... And legally, it is hard to do anything about it.

Moving Tips:

OK, you have chosen several possible candidates for movers. You have good recommendations and they all are clean with the Better Business Bureau. The next step it to get written estimates. It's important to take the time to have the mover send a representative to your home to see the move and give you a written estimate. This is where most people get tripped up. If you have a written estimate done by a representative who came to your house, you have certain legal protections against the price being jacked up. So long as you do not make any material changes in the move, the mover can only collect within a certain percentage of his estimate on delivery. In many cases, if the actual charges legitimately go more than that, you may owe him the money, but you will not have to pay it on delivery. Many movers will even guarantee their estimate if they come to your home to do a home survey.

Many movers know if they give you a written estimate, they will be legally bound within limits to their estimate, so they may try to actually talk you out of sending an estimator. This is a BIG WARNING SIGN that this is a company you do NOT want to work with, no matter how nice or sincere the fellow sounds on the phone, or how cheap they may seem. In every news story I have ever seen about moving horror stories, virtually all have said 'I got a good price on the phone, but when they did the move, they jacked it way up!'

-Bill

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
More recently I have used someone local to where I was moving from, to minimize the whole scamming potential. But that can cost a little more. Several friends and relatives have been very happy with the whole PODS thing, because it has more flexibility built into it.

I have also used the super cheap guys, but that leads to the scamming and hourly rates and materials charges and crap like that. You can minimize those charges by packing and taping everything yourself to avoid tape and box charges, having your stuff ready on time so they don't wait on you, and helping out and monitoring the situation constantly, instead of zoning out or going out to lunch while they move.

daloosh

greenLED

Flashaholic
Our experience with ABF was a good one. *We* actually estimated we'd used more space than we did but were able to cram things up and use several feet less. They charged us for our actual use of space, not what was initially quoted.

Coyotease

Newly Enlightened
I've used this company Three Men & A Truck twice over the past few years and have no complaints about them. Certainly on the cheaper side compared to others I looked at and I would definitely use them again if I was moving. Thankfully, I don't see that happening any time in the near future! Best of luck to you.