Some beamshots, LED and incan, surefires and ROP

SCblur

Enlightened
I felt like comparing some of my lights, so I got the tripod and camera out as soon as it got dark and had some fun. Here's the lineup:

lights.jpg

As you can see, I tested the G2z with three different lamp assemblies, the ROP with both the high and low bulbs, and the stock mag reflector on the low bulb (for max throw), and lastly: I tested the MN10 and MN11 in the M3 both with the stock 3xCR123 surefire body, and with the 2x18650 leef body (it's brighter on the 18650's!). All pictures are taken with a Canon 30D on a tripod with a cable release at F8.0, 1/3 second, auto white balance. Pictures are intentionally underexposed to avoid blowing out the beamshot photos on the higher output lights, and to aid in comparisons. Let the pictures begin:

below: U2 high
u2-high.jpg

below: L2 high
l2-high.jpg

below: WE 6mx explorer, 100 lumen lamp, 18650
explorer.jpg

below: G2Z, P60 lamp
p60.jpg

below: G2Z, P61 lamp
p61.jpg

below: G2Z, GP-HP-9v lamp w/ 2x R123 unprotected
gp-hp-9v.jpg

below: stock M3, MN10
sf-mn10.jpg

below: stock M3, MN11
sf-mn11.jpg

below: Leef body M3, MN10 (2x18650)
leef-mn10.jpg

below: Leef body M3, MN11 (2x18650)
leef-mn11.jpg

below: ROP-LE-low, stock mag reflector (throw monster)
rop-lo-mag.jpg

below: ROP-LE-low, HS reflector
rop-lo-smooth.jpg

below: ROP-LE-high, HS reflector
rop-hi.jpg

some side-by-side comparisons to make it easy for you:
beamshots.jpg

SCblur

Enlightened
if you're going for sheer output, yes it does. However, it requires unprotected cells to work (unless you move to a 2D nimh ROP, I have the LE variation), and only gives about 20 minutes runtime. For me, the Leef body M3 and MN11 lamp is my favorite setup. compact for the output (about 350 torch lumens), and a decent 45 minute runtime. (over 100 minutes on the MN10). The ROP-hi definitely stomps the M3-MN11 in the lumens department though, no contest there.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beamshots and I agree with your conclusions here.. the ROP is the monster, but there are the days where I prefer the lower profile and particularly the smaller bezel of my Surefire M3 (non-Turbohead) and MN11. I run mine on 17500s, standard Surefire body and twist switch. Still love both of the lights for everything they are :)

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
SCblur said:
if you're going for sheer output, yes it does. However, it requires unprotected cells to work (unless you move to a 2D nimh ROP, I have the LE variation), and only gives about 20 minutes runtime. For me, the Leef body M3 and MN11 lamp is my favorite setup. compact for the output (about 350 torch lumens), and a decent 45 minute runtime. (over 100 minutes on the MN10). The ROP-hi definitely stomps the M3-MN11 in the lumens department though, no contest there.
I use 2 of AW's new style protected 18650 2200 mAh cells in my 3 C ROP LE, and other than a double-click cold start, they certainly work. I have not run it continuously, but I will probably be using it quite a bit tomorrow night from 18:00 - 04:00 (or later - usually later!).

SCblur

Enlightened
The newer cells must perform better than mine. Mine are about a year old, and they won't power up the hi bulb to save my life. I'll have to grab some new AWs, thanks for the heads up.

Aepoc

Enlightened
The ROP pics really show how much more lux the stock mag reflectors have. At first I was into replacing as much of the light that I could, but I have come to realize that the stock mag reflectors in many cases are the ideal choice. Of course... you wouldn't want to use these in any light brighter then the ROP low.

SCblur

Enlightened
Aepoc said:
The ROP pics really show how much more lux the stock mag reflectors have. At first I was into replacing as much of the light that I could, but I have come to realize that the stock mag reflectors in many cases are the ideal choice. Of course... you wouldn't want to use these in any light brighter then the ROP low.
That's exactly the conclusion I came to. I bought an HS reflector when assembling my ROP, but I always found myself wanting more throw. It's insane how far an ROP low will throw photons with a stock mag reflector. It will out-throw the M3-MN11 four or five times over, easy. Anymore, I just keep the stock reflector installed, and use my other incans when I want a more diffuse and pretty beam. But when I need to spot something half-way down the block, out comes the ROP.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Nice shots SCblur!! That WE 6MX is really pretty impressive. So can I ask you a question about your ROP? Do you think the ROP Low with the stock reflector is the best bet as far as throw? Or do you think there is a combo out there with the ROP high and a different reflector that would beat the stock reflector? Not sure if you have any other reflectors for your ROP, but thought I would ask. Nice shots again--thanks for taking the time to post them!

SCblur

Enlightened
tomcat017 said:
Nice shots SCblur!! That WE 6MX is really pretty impressive. So can I ask you a question about your ROP? Do you think the ROP Low with the stock reflector is the best bet as far as throw? Or do you think there is a combo out there with the ROP high and a different reflector that would beat the stock reflector? Not sure if you have any other reflectors for your ROP, but thought I would ask. Nice shots again--thanks for taking the time to post them!
Thanks tomcat, I appreciate it. Hmmm, that's a good question. I haven't used any other reflectors hands on, hower a light stipple, or light orange peel would be pretty throwy. I don't know if anybody makes just polished aluminum reflectors or not, but that would be your best bet if there is such a thing. A LOP reflector with the high bulb might be good competition for the low/stock reflector, but I'm just guessing. I would imaging the substantial increase in output would make up for much of the loss in throw in the stock reflector. Maybe somebody who has both will chime in with a more informed opinion...

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ROP high with a LOP reflector will out-throw the ROP low with the stock Mag reflector. I have a ROP low set-up with the stock reflector, and my ROP high with a MOP reflector throws just as far...with a MUCH bigger hotspot of course.

And thanks for the link fix...nice beamshots :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice job SC!! I especially like the smaller side by side shots because it's very easy for the eye to pick up on differences. The Leef with 18650s holds its own. I'd take the Leef because of run-time. It's a good comprimise in a smaller package.

Last edited: