LED for Gals on Campus

Mugwump

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker; first post. I did search for an answer to my question but I was quickly overcome by information overload. I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of this arena can help me out.

My daughter and her friends are all off to college next fall. I've purchased Fox Labs OC keychains for all of them and I'd like to add a good, bright LED flashlight. My requirements are: rugged, small as possible, single AA battery if feasible (lithium OK if that makes a difference), 'tactically' bright, simple to use (it comes on in 'brightest' mode or has only one mode), and lastly as cheap as possible (I need to get seven of these). If it uses CR123s, is too big or too complicated I suspect it won't be carried.

Any suggestions? TIA for you help.

mchlwise

Enlightened
For really cheap and basically what you described, look around DealExtreme.com or Kaidomain.com.

They're a couple of Chinese-based dealers who have a LOT of really cheap stuff. Quality is usually acceptable, but certainly not top-notch. I've gotten lights for my kids from them for less than $10 each, and the kids are very happy with them.

They have lots of AA based lights, which I agree with you would be ideal.

Looking for something with a "Cree" LED emitter would be the brightest. It won't be the cheapest, but probably will give you the most "bang for your buck" and will be closest to a "tactical" (whatever that means :shrug: ) level of light.

The problem with both of those sites is it takes weeks for your purchase to be shipped. Don't go there if you're in a hurry.

Edit: they are also known to have the occasional website unavailable issues, so you might have to try to get on a couple separate times.

If you need them in a couple days, try fenix-store.com. They have good LED AA lights, mostly in the $30-40 range, and their quality and reliability are very very good. They're based in Atlanta.

Another domestic supplier is lighthound.com, that has a number of good AA based lights, again starting in the $30 range.

Good luck. :grin2:

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
I vote for L1DCE from Fenix-store :D
Certainly not cheap, but can be made to come on at 90lumens ("tactical" enough?) and quick access to strobe. Uses 1 common AA. If required, it can also be made to last longer by using lower levels.

Too bad it'll run you about USD51 apiece (after CPF discount)...
If that's too much, then I vote for one of those DX lights.

mhubble

Enlightened
I would go with the MINIPALM. Its alot more reliable than alot of the chinese lights. VERY SIMPLE TO USE. VERY WELL MADE. Very bright, very small for a AA light, full brightness for almost two hours on regular DURACELLS, tactical type switch(push for temporary on, push til it clicks for constant on.) You can get it in 3-4 days from GOLDEN GADGET. This is what my daughter carries on campus AT VA TECH.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=327&osCsid=85f3t1ldu3df94ia5ev19nijv0

Check out their listings on EBAY, you can usually get the lights cheaper that way.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1D CE fits the slot, but it's a bit expencive at +50USD.

I would recommend the ultrafire C3, which seems to be perfect, very bright (cree), small, 1AA(takes both regular and lithium rechargables), simple click on click off UI, apparently pretty good quality, fit and finish(going by reviews) and only 18USD shipped. It's a bargain.

You can get it at www.kaidomain.com or www.dealextreme.com, but both seems to unfortunately be down(heard something about aggresive hacker attacks this week).

Reviews.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161298
http://www.lightreviews.info/
Here's the light with a seoul instead of a cree(the output should pretty much be the same).
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=160550

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
If you have a Targets nearby, they'd be worth a visit. They probably have an Inova or Rock River AA for under $20 and those generally have better quality control than what I've got from DX or Kia. You won't get a Cree, but reliability and user-friendliness is what you need for non-flashaholics.

EDIT: Targets had THESE for under $14 a couple of months ago but they might have been replaced by more expensive newer models since then.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Something AA-based from Huntlight, Fenix, or Lumapower.

Oh, and please make sure the girls know how to use the OC and they have it accessible at all times (OC inside purse= bad mojo). Buy them some inert canisters and have them "play" with them a few times. You can be the "assailant" and they can practice on you (it's inert - won't hurt).

Since becoming more aware of personal security issues, I've asked a couple of female students I see carrying OC if they know how to use it, and if they've practiced with it. None of them have answered "yes". :( When the time comes to actually use the darned thing, it'll be too late for them to figure it out.

Depending on where they're headed, their school might have classes on self-protection, awareness, etc. Their school's Public Safety office is a good place to call up ahead of time and inquire.

Last edited:

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
+1 on greenLED's advice about being sure they practice using the OC - it's the same principle with any emergency products (OC spray, fire extinguishers, etc). Also, while my keychain, and anything on it, is always in my pocket I've noticed that many ladies usually put their keys in their purses/handbags/backpacks so devices like the OC keychain often isn't easily accessible if they are caught off guard by an attacker... Sorry about drifting off topic.

I also second the recommendations on lights by Fenix, Lumapower & Huntlight, they may seem a little pricey but they are pretty reliable which is what you need in an emergency light. Aside from sites like lighthound.com, you can try browsing on flashlightreviews.com - the summary charts will give you an idea of what available AA lights.

Last edited:

Russianesq

Enlightened
for anyone who carries pens what about:
20935b.jpg

can be carried in the hand without freeking anyone out :whistle:

mhubble

Enlightened
mhubble, that looks like a nice light. What's the beam like? (with the collimator I would expect it to be spot with no spill.)

Its one big square spot just like the PALMBLAZE. As far as quality Its as good as any Fenix or Huntlight, and alot cheaper.

Mugwump

Newly Enlightened
mhubble said:
I would go with the MINIPALM. Its alot more reliable than alot of the chinese lights. VERY SIMPLE TO USE. VERY WELL MADE. Very bright, very small for a AA light, full brightness for almost two hours on regular DURACELLS, tactical type switch(push for temporary on, push til it clicks for constant on.) You can get it in 3-4 days from GOLDEN GADGET. This is what my daughter carries on campus AT VA TECH.

I went with this one, thanks for the advice. Exactly what I was looking for and the price was right.

Mugwump

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
Oh, and please make sure the girls know how to use the OC and they have it accessible at all times (OC inside purse= bad mojo).

Agreed. Each will be trained with inert units -- this is the third and final gaggle of girls I've done this with. Weak hand out in fending position, strong hand back and firing over the weak. As far as being buried in the bottom of their purse...that's likely. I tell them to carry it but you know how that will go. My thinking is they might dig it out if their spidey sense kicks in and might actually carry it if they hear of something bad happening to someone else. Situational awareness is hard to instill in a couple of sessions.

Thanks for the advice, one and all.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Mugwump,
Hmm, with so many offerings in the market nowadays, its get difficult to choose. However, IMHO the user being young ladies would therefore be KISS (keep it super simple), maintenance free (so twisty is good here), two stage (helpful when required for reading), small form factor (bling factor considered), and finally robust and reliable (LED preferred, brand named). May I suggest say Inova X1, AA, around $15-$18, fenix say civictor V1, AA, much brighter at $27, or the L1D Ce brighter still but $55, or something from Surefire, L1 comes to mind, 2 stage and although using CR123 it lasts a looong time. Someone else may also suggest many others, but put it this way, its a one time investment and for your loved ones!

s002cjs

Newly Enlightened
Mugwump said:
I went with this one, thanks for the advice. Exactly what I was looking for and the price was right.

Nice choice! I've been grabbing up a bunch of single-AA lights, and the Mini Palm is a darn nice one!

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Ah! The Mugwump speaks! :bumpit:
Russianesq said:
for anyone who carries pens what about:
20935b.jpg

can be carried in the hand without freeking anyone out :whistle:

So I wonder if those pens are any stronger than distilled water?:lolsign: I'd stick with Foxlabs.

josean

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest Fenix E1: Simple, efficient and excelent regulation.

Russianesq

Enlightened
So I wonder if those pens are any stronger than distilled water?:lolsign: I'd stick with Foxlabs.

The pen product pictures is a Sabre Red = contains 10% oleoresin capsicum measuring 2,000,000 Scoville Heat Units, producing 1.33% major capsaicinoids.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What, nobody suggested Mini-Mag LEDs at all? Well, then, I will suggest it. They are a pretty decent light for the money.