What goes sqeeeeeeeek in the night?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's 3am and my woman just woke me from a fine slumber. "what's that noise?" she asks. "what?" I reply.

"just wait, you'll hear it again" she assures me.

"squeeeeeeeeek" I hear it! It's alien and loud. Now my adrenalin is flowing. Instantly I'm awake. I try to guess what it is. A dying animal in my house? It's downstairs.. I grab my Glock 30 pistol and my Streamlight Scorpion and head into the darkness slowly, quietly toward the stairs.

"Squeeeeeeeek" it's unaware of my existence. I can sneak up on it! I make it to the first floor and illuminate everything. My sleepy night adapted eyes feel slight pain, everything is overexposed; surreal. I begin my sweep. Quickly I check the blind spots on my way to the source of the noise. The bathroom, the kitchen I quickly point both light and .45 tube as one. I'm listen for anything, any reaction to the sudden light; Nothing.

Then "Squeeeeeeek!" Again as if I wasn't there ready to put .45 size holes in whatever the hell woke me from my dream. What was my dream anyway? I can't remember. Clearly there's no threat. I begin to calm down. I stand perfectly still for what seems like a minute and I hear it again. I close in on the source. Is it behind my computer? "Squeeeeeek!" it's IN my computer! I carefully pull off the quick release cover and examine the case. Everything is in its place. No dying cats inside. The keyboard doesn't respond.

"squeeeeeek" The hard drive just squeaked at me! Sonofabitch! the hard drive is seizing up and sounding like a dying rodent. I unplug and go to bed.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
You break out the artillery for a squeek in your house? Man, you sure are paranoid :p

BTW, I sure hope you have backups...

Eric_M

Enlightened
A few good sprays of WD-40 will quiet that squeek down.....

:grin2:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmm, data recovery might be tough after a lead slug impacts it and then try to explain that to the insurance company! :crackup:

Illum

Flashaholic
a .45 isnt something for a light varmint....you can shoot boars with this stuff

any idea why its making that noise? whem my last harddrive was dying it sounded like the laundry machine with a broken bearing...continuous, not like what you depicted

Illum

Flashaholic
Sub_Umbra said:
Anyone remember the guy in the novel "Catch-22" who tied a string from the light switch to his big toe and slept with a .45?

Havermeyer? the sadistic pleasure in the shooting of field mice with a .45
what about him?
what a coincidence...I have the book sitting on my desk:grin2:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A guy on one of the boards I'm on took a boar with a .45 1911. He'd never try it again--after the first shot slowed it down he had to shoot it repeatedly in the chest before getting close enough for a clean kill shot to the head. Those big slow bullets just weren't going through the meat and gristle.

riffraff

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
Anyone remember the guy in the novel "Catch-22" who tied a string from the light switch to his big toe and slept with a .45?
Ah, yes...
"Havermeyer had grown very proficient at shooting field mice at night with the gun he had stolen from the dead man in Yossarian's tent. His bait was a bar of candy and he would presight in the darkness as he sat waiting for the nibble with a finger of his other band inside a loop of the line he had run from the frame of his mosquito net to the chain of the unfrosted light bulb overhead. The line was taut as a banjo string, and the merest tug would snap it on and blind the shivering quarry in a blaze of light. Havermeyer would chortle exultantly as he watched the tiny mammal freeze and roll its terrified eyes about in frantic search of the intruder. Havermeyer would wait until the eyes fell upon his own and then he laughed aloud and pulled the trigger at the same time, showering the rank, furry body all over the tent with a reverberating crash and dispatching its soul back to his or her Creator."

Great book.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
a .45 isnt something for a light varmint....you can shoot boars with this stuff

And what if it was a sqeaky boar in his house? Huh? Huh? ;)

Illum_the_nation said:
any idea why its making that noise? whem my last harddrive was dying it sounded like the laundry machine with a broken bearing...continuous, not like what you depicted

I doubt it's the hard drive, or the OS would be throwing errors right and left. More likely it's a fan; when the bearings start to go on 'em, they tend to do the intermittent squeal thang, just as described. Good news is, a fan is a lot cheaper to replace than a hard drive.