Small lights: Arc LS vs E1/E1e/etc

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of interesting choices now in small lights that fill the gap between the smaller LED lights (Photon II, Arc AAA) and the smallest "full size" lights like the E2, Asp Taclite, TacM, etc. Some of the interesting choices in this area are the Arc LS, SF E1e, and a number of 2AAA lights from UKE etc. I was wondering what people have found the most useful, now that these lights have been out for a while.

For me, this size light focuses on carryability in a pocket (they're too big for a keychain), and good brightness for the size (as always).

The light that's really shined for me is the Arc LS, and it has so taken the place of the SF E1 that I'm thinking about selling the E1. Why?
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Size: LS is smaller, so small it fits into a watch pocket. E1 is bigger and much more noticeable in everyday carry, IMO. I would accept less carryability if the E1 had other advantages, but ...
<LI>Beam: The LS has a beam that is perfect for utility use as-is, and is very bright. The E1 has a small very bright spot -- but the spot is so small, it's usually less than useful. To make the E1 useful, I have to use the beamshaper, at which point, the LS is much brighter than the E1, and still has a better overall beam for use.
<LI>Runtime: Add to all this 4+ hours of runtime for the LS versus 90 minutes for the E1.
<LI>Other factors: both lights are very well-made. I like the E1's switch better, but not at the cost of the extra size.
[/list]

In all, for me the E1 really doesn't do anything that the Arc LS doesn't do better.

I also have the PT and UKE plastic 2AAA lights. I like the UKE over the PT -- the PT is brighter, but the UKE is so much smaller and more carryable, due to the much smaller head.

The UKE 2AAA usually, but not always, loses out to the Arc LS. Again, I love the robustness, beam shape, and runtime of the Arc LS, and am willing to put up with a bit more weight. More importantly, since the light in this class is often a backup to my SF M2, I like it that in an emergency, I can use the M2's batteries in the Arc LS to get a total of 12-15 hours of light in the Arc LS. So battery interoperability is another plus. I carry the UKE 2AAA only when I want the absolute lightest carry.

So, in summary, for me:

• <LI>Arc LS: clear winner for me, by far the most useful compromise of carryability, beam shape, runtime, battery interoperability w/ my primary light.
    <LI>UKE 2AAA: niche light that is sometimes useful because it's so lightweight.
    <LI>Surefire E1/E1e: Not useful, I leave it around the house as a convient-to-grab light.
    <LI>PT 2AAA: Not useful, I leave it in the baby's diaper bag as a backup backup.

I'd love to hear how others feel about this class of light.

Joe

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of being called the Edward Scissorhand of ARC flashlights again, I'll point out that 3 adjacent, but spread ARC AAA's on a keyring aren't obtrusive in a pocket. They form an easily gripped triad that covers roughly the volume of an ARC LS 123. They can be turned on 1, 2, or, 3 at at time. They can be tightly focused or spread out to provide wide angle fog-light coverage of the near-in ground surface.

My ARC LS also eliminates any desire for an E1. For any light requirement between 15 L and 60 L I'll use my E2 with or without my newly acquired beamshaper.

I use either the ARC LS or my X5 in my NitIze head band when I have a headlamp requirement.

For extended use between 60 L and 110 L I'll normally use a PT40 with NiMh's and a 3.85 V 1.20 A bulb. I sometimes use my somewhat dimmer serial DB 4AAA mod with NimH's and the bulb from a DB 6AA. For 110 L I'll use my 8X with or without its newly acquired beamshaper which is more comfortable than my Surge. Above the 110 L level I alternate various functioning DB 6AA, DB 8AA, and UKE 1200 toys and some soon to be functioning projects.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I carry the E2e and an ArcAAA. These two pretty much cover all EDC illumination requirements I have.

I used to carry the E1 & M2. I preferred the E1 over the PhotonIIs.

Now, the E2e for me is so easy to carry, I need not an E1e / Arc LS sized light.

When the SureFire A2 is released, I'll be able to carry that alone.

Of course, when the M2D is released, I'll be carrying that, and the A2! But I may feel the need for an L1 or Arc LS instead of the A2.

The main reason I don't have an Arc LS right now is because I don't need to carry that sized light. When SureFire release their 'Luxeons' and 'Digitals', I will be very interested the L1 v KL1 v Arc LS...

Al
smile.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe,

Great topic! Always wondered what people choose as their "gap" light between the keychain and the high-powered stuff.

I Completely agree with you. For me, the current Arc LS with the 123 pack fits perfectly between my Arc AAA and Surefire E2/M2 "every-day" lights. It offers the best combination of size, output, durability and runtime that I have seen.

For me, its all about "pocketablitiy". I can carry the Arc AAA/LS/E2 combination with relative ease. BUT, 99% of the time, the E2/M2 is riding in a briefcase or fanny-pack because they are slightly bulkier. Like the keychain lights, the LS is always there, within easy reach, and unless I have a dead battery, will always work. The Arc LS replaced my previous EDCs, the Eternalight and Inova X5 mainly because it is smaller.

Just my opinions.

Aloha

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Inova X5 is Level I due to battery type commonality with Level II: the ASP Taclite. The ARC LS, although brighter that the X5, is Level 1A because it is slightly larger and more difficult to carry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was puzzling over this until I realized that you must be talking about the Arc LS 2AA. I never specified -- I was talking about the Arc LS 123A, which is smaller and brighter than the Inova X5, and in addition also takes 123A batteries like your Taclite. Does that change the equation any? I'd think the LS would be an easy winner over the Inova in this regard.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't like the lamp assembly. For me, the E1 is too big for Level 0 and too small for Level 1. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[edit: oops, my bad! Somehow, I read the above quote as talking about the E2 being between his levels 1 and 2, whereas kog was really talking about the E1 being between levels 0 and 1, something I agree with. I will leave my below comments anyway, but recognize they're the result of a mistaken interpretation]

Could this be a cse where your taxonomy is the real problem? For me, the E2 is a real problem-solver. First, what it is not: it is not my first-choice tactical light, so it's not the light that I keep by my bedstand. It's also note easily and effortlessly carried in a pocket, so it's carried less than the Arc LS 123A.

But where the E2 shines is for a case that spans your levels I and II. Although it's not my first choice for a tactical light, it is easily bright enough to function as one. It's also marginally bright enough to function as a distraction, and definitely bright enough for my heaviest-duty utility use. But most importantly, in the boatload of cases where I'm just not going to carry a big heavy M2 or even a C2, the E2 is there. The E2's compromises: much better carryability and good-enough performance for nearly everything from utility to tactical uses, makes it a great solution. If not for the E2, there are loads of times the only light I'd have on me is the Arc LS 123A, which although my way favorite light in this class, is too underpowered for many uses.

Joe

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For up-close and quick illumination, I use my ARC AAA LE. This is always with me wether I am at work or play. While I am working I have an E2e in a holster on my tool belt, so it provides illumination for most things. If I need longer throw, I use my G2 rechargeable.
I used to own an E1 for EDC when off work, but I sold it to a person at my work because he was so amazed by it. I liked the E1, but it did have a rather narrow beam that didn't really work for me. I have found that the ARC LS with the 123 pack fits the bill just fine with comparable light output to the E1 with a beamshaper, at a reduced length and longer runtime. If I need a brighter LED light for EDC I can grab my Lambda Illuminator
smile.gif
I do think that when the L1 is released, that I will purchase one, because I do enjoy the fit and finish that it offers, as well as the pocket clip.

Eric