surefire and rechargable batteries ?

bouncer

Enlightened
Hello everybody,

I have a question and this is the place I know I will get the answer. I have a surefire L4 and e2l and I want to go rechargable in the simplest manner possible while also getting the best runtime not modding or boring out my light bodies unless necessary am I better with RCR123 or another option ? Thanks for the advice I know I 'll get the best answer here

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Run a 17670 li-ion in it.
Yes this is what I'll use to power both the KL4 and KL1 (of the E2L light) heads. Do not use 2xR123a 3.7v for the KL4 head...you'll fry it! Its ok though for the KL1 head.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
eyeeatingfish said:
Wait, they make rechargable 123 lithiums?

They make rechargeable 123 lithium ion batteries. Search for RCR123. There are several "flavors": 3.0 volts, 3.7 volts, unprotected, protected. Buy the charger that is designed for whatever you get, otherwise they are dangerous and can explode when being charged using the wrong charger.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Can someone direct me to information on these batteries please?
I am a little lost when it comes to the volt, mAh etc.
How do i know which ones will fit my lights and what volts etc i need?

Volts. vs mAh?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
eyeeatingfish, when you look at the specs for lights, you will likely see the type of battery that the light will take, ie. AA, 1xCR123, 2xCR123, etc. Basically, a large number of LED lights these days take advantage of the energy / size ratio of the CR123 batteries which started off being used in point & shoot cameras. Flashlight manufacturers realized that they too could take advantage of the higher voltage and stored energy that the CR123's offered.

There's A LOT more info that you will have to pick up as you go but here are some things to get you started:

Someone once gave the following analogy (maybe on these forums) when explaining Volts vs. mAh... Think of Volts as the horsepower of a car and the mAh as the size of the gas tank.

Also, check out this link: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Good luck!

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
That is a good analogy. Does that mean the mAh doesnt make a difference in output? Is too much mAh going to blow your light? Does mAh hinge on bulb ability?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi bouncer, eyeeatingfish,
More mAh means more runtime. Most importantly is the volatage rating of your light emitter whether its Incans bulb or LEDs. Overdriven or underdriven your lights may not be desireble. Make yourselves to the battery section of this forum and research on the various kinds available.

bouncer

Enlightened
Thanks everyone

I've owned numerous surefires just bought my first quailty led's a couple months ago and very much need to switch to recharchables