Rechargeable options for SF A2?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if there is a lithium ion rechargeable cell(s) available for the Surefire A2? Cell or cells that will fit in it as well as work with it? What cells, what charger, and where to get them? I will be getting one soon and I really love rechargeable lights. (you can't beat guilt-free lumens, especially when they are regulated incandescent lumens). Thanks in advance for any info. (If this is in the wrong area, my apologies to all moderators.)

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
I guess you'll have to figure out what voltage range the regulator can handle.
2x rcr123's, or 1x 17670 wil fit, but don't know if the regulator can handle those.

edit:
I did some research of my own, it works with 2x rcr123's, the regulator works fine. But the LED's are direct drive, and they will be overdriven by the voltage.
Some still work fine, some don't. If you want to be sure you can get a aviatrix mod, which replaces the LED ring in your A2, and DOES work with both primaries and rechargeables.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
socom1970,

There are a number of threads on this subject. Do a search, and if you still can't find them, let me know and I will dig up the links.

In any case, yes, two rechargeable Li-ion R123 cells will not harm the regulator in any way, and the regulator will provide the correct voltage to the lamp.

But, as mentioned the LED's are direct drive, and are quite over-driven as-is, so you will inevitably fry them sooner or later using rechargeables.

The Aviatrix rings are made to handle the higher voltage of rechargeable cells. Atomic_Chicken is the person making these. Aviatrix B/S/T thread link.

BE CAREFUL WHEN USING UNPROTECTED LI-ION CELLS. Read the various warning and use threads here on CPF.