New to batteries

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I got a new T3 but im bummed out that it takes 3 CR123 batteries. Im wondering about recomendations for rechargable batteries. I also have a number of 2 batter lights too. I was going to get a fenix that runs off of AA because then I can use AA NIMH batteries for recharging.

I understand there are regulated and unregulated types and that unregulated can be dangerous.
As i recall these rechargables dont last as long right? About half the time often. Why not just make a nimh the size of a 123Lithium?
Im guessing i cant maufactre them myslef hehe.

I wish INOVA or anyone came out with batter sticks that were rechargable and fit the T3(3 cell lights) and other 2 cell lights.

So what are the recomendations?

Anders

Enlightened
eyeeatingfish: I use AW:s 17670 in my T3, but first i did my tube a bit larger with sandpaper mounted on a rod.

Don't use two RCR123, the led will be destroyed.

Anders

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Anders said:
eyeeatingfish: I use AW:s 17670 in my T3, but first i did my tube a bit larger with sandpaper mounted on a rod.

Don't use two RCR123, the led will be destroyed.

Anders

Was the T3 still as bright? What about run time?

What are AW 17670s?

Arent those 123 rechargables? I did a search on battery junction and i only found the charger that would charge them. I saw something these but they arent the same height as the 123s.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/one2310mahhi.html
Whats with the tabs on some of the batteries?

If you have dealt with batter junction before, could i jsut call them and they would explain what i would need?

Last edited:

Anders

Enlightened
Aw is a seller here on CPF, batteries and chargers, here

With 17670 it is probably lower output comparatively to CR123A, the same with runtime, a bit lower.

What do you mean: "but im bummed out that it takes 3 CR123 batteries"

Anders

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Anders said:
Aw is a seller here on CPF, batteries and chargers, here

With 17670 it is probably lower output comparatively to CR123A, the same with runtime, a bit lower.

What do you mean: "but im bummed out that it takes 3 CR123 batteries"

Anders

Bummed out because that is just one more battery to pay for when i replace the batteries.
so the 17670 means lower output huh? Do you think its significant?
Hmmm The 17670 is in place of 2 batteries though not three right? The new T3 takes 3 batteries.

Im also worried about picking the right batteries because there are the safer 3.0 volt rechargable 123 and the 3.6 volt rechargable 123, I dont want to blow up my flashlight.

If I may bother one more question to you, whats the difference between AA NIMHs and AA rechargable Lithiums?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You are starting out like I did with basic level confusion about all the battery types. I highly recommend you take a few minutes and look at that battery university link at least the basic coverage pages of what you are interested in.

In a nutshell, the NiMH chemistry is totally different than Li-Ion (or "Lipo") chemistry. Also there are significant differences between rechargeable and disposable Lithium based batteries. These all have different voltages for the battery categories, different current output (mlliamps), different stored energy capabilities when left sitting unused, different duration of output when used in various applications, and different ways of charging.

Some lights can be "blown" by using a higher voltage battery than is specified...so you can't just substitute batteries (or number of cells) and expect everything will be ok. AA NiMH and AA Li-Ions ("14500" cells) are ONLY similar in their physical dimensions. Otherwise they are nothing alike. Be careful...and take a few minutes to learn some of the basics. I was amazed how much I didn't know when I started here, and it became interesting and fun to learn more. Good Luck!:rock:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Thanks, i checked out battery university. Too much to read all in one sitting though. Im beginning to understand the differences between the different types but still not sure which ones I should be getting for which lights.

greenLED

Flashaholic
eyeeatingfish said:
Too much to read all in one sitting though. Im beginning to understand the differences between the different types but still not sure which ones I should be getting for which lights.
...and that's why you need to read the whole thing first, especially the li-ion safety thread.

Otherwise, you risk a smoked light/circuit in the best of cases, or an explosion and chemical contamination in the worst scenario. Li-ion's are cool and all, but they're different "animals" compared to regular rechargeable cells.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
GreenLED is right, but I remember back to when I first started here.....it was MAJOR information overload. I thought my head would explode many times. It took me a long time to finally get around to reading Battery University completely....so for new members....maybe start out reading a few items that interest you, and it will not seem like a homework assignment.

One other things to remember about Lithium batteries, and why we are trying to get you up online is they have a danger of exploding causing a fire if not used & charged safely.

Try watching this video which may be a more fun way to get the point about Lithium batteries and motivate you to learn more. It sure did get my attention about Lithium batteries when I saw it. Good Luck!

Anders

Enlightened
eyeeatingfish: Sorry i didn't know it has 3 cells the new one. i did a search on the web without luck. You can't take a chance when choosing cells, you have to know for sure.

Anders

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. I understand the lithiums can be dangerous, that is one section I did read through carefully.
Ill probably read it again before i go use any too. AW said i should use 17500s in my T3, but he was either rushed or just wasnt much of a talker because his replys were really short and I really couldnt get much information from him, even though I am a likely customer of his.
I also saw the RCR123s but AW didnt mention using those.