Arc AAA and epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
even without the epoxy, the light is rated at 50ft, but it can go *much* deeper.

there was a diver that took them around 400ft i believe.

someone measuered the head to be resistant to around 2980ft.

somone even changed the batteries 9ft under water.

if you want, you can even take off the o-ring, as having water in the compartment in the tube will not effect performance!

mainly the only thing the epoxy does is focuses the light to make it wider then the normal. it also makes it easier to clean when dust and stuff gets in the reflector area.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
The epoxy turns it into a floodlight, and makes it lose throw. It's plenty waterproof as it is, so I wouldn't do it unless a floodlight's what you want.

Darell

Flashaholic
What they said.

The the electronics area already sealed up in epoxy. Adding epoxy to the reflector area won't help the waterproofness. You already have one of the most water-uneffected lights around!

I have one of don's epoxy AAA's and I really like it for its wide, even beam. But yes, it removes the throw. For really up-close stuff (like reading) it can't be beat.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Rothrandir:

somone even changed the batteries 9ft under water.

if you want, you can even take off the o-ring, as having water in the compartment in the tube will not effect performance!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is this true?! Wow...i never knew that. If it's true...GOOD JOB Peter Gransee!

B@rt

Flashaholic
It's true...
grin.gif

(I'm too lazy to find the thread, but Aragorn decided he needed to change the batt. underwater...) there have been numerous other experiments conducted... Darell comes to mind...

The Arc AAA is one of the sturdiest lights you can get.

Go for it!

Darell, I really need to do that too... Just not on an Arc, they're too bright!
cool.gif

I'll go for an Infinity Yellow, A pleasant color on the (partially) night adapted eye, and for reading text, I prefer the "softer" color. Of course if color rendition is needed, yellow won't cut it and you will end up with full spectrum lights, ergo white light...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bart,

Nichia sells a NSPW500BS with a special color rank DF3. I believe Dat1zip will have some of these in his store in the next couple of weeks. These LED's are warm; Nichia calls it "Incandescent" color. They are also not as bright as the standard NSPW500BS-b2S that is typically found in all of the flashlights, like the Arc AAA. You might want to make your own reading "candle" :)

- Don

2dogs

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I need to remind myself on occasion to ALWAYS come here first before I buy any light or propose any mod. The members here are the BEST!

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by LEDagent:
Is this true?! Wow...i never knew that. If it's true...GOOD JOB Peter Gransee!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Would I lead you astray?

'tis true. They work fine full of water! Cracks me up when folks talk about the waterproofness of the Arc AAA. It really doesn't matter if it leaks...

Bart - I think Don is onto something. I have some of those DFs too, and I think they're be just perfect for what you're after if you like a warm reading light. They make for a very mellow night light. Some folks get a bit jumpy when they see my moon/blue bright ones.
smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Thanks to the kindness of Don I now have some samples too,
grin.gif
icon14.gif
and I must say I really like them!
It is very soft to the eyes and still you can see the colors just fine.
cool.gif

Make sure you keep an eye on Wayne's shop to get some, they're great!

Don, Thanks again!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bart,

You're welcome! I had been told that these LED's were a color rank of Df. The pack I just got from Nichia says DR so I don't know what's what. I am now assuming that the key rank indicator here is D. These LED's are aboout half as bright as the b2S 500's but they do look like little suns in terms of color; yellow white.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I have found with my 3 mm fixed LED light systems, the only negative comment from some folks has been women saying that the blue-white of the LED is too cold for them in any interior night light or low level light system. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the "incandescent" rank is only available in the 5 mm so I can't make my lights with a "warmer and softer" version.

- Don

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since blue is boys and pink is for girls, it must be that the womenfolk like the longer wavelengths.

I think I'll be masculine, and order me some ultraviolet LEDs.
smile.gif
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.