Nichia announces blue laser plans--mass production

comozo

Enlightened
Mass production of 250 mW blue-violet sources will begin in January 2008, with 320 mW on the way.

Nichia announced its plans to produce blue-violet laser sources for next-generation DVD drives at Laser Expo 2007, held in Yokohama, Japan, at the end of April. A 180 mW pulsed-mode model will start shipping in June 2007, to be followed by a 250 mW model in January 2008.

The sources will enable data to be recorded onto DVD disks at much faster speeds. Nichia states that 4x-6x recording speed is possible onto a dual-layer disk using a 200 mW blue-violet source, while 8x speed is possible with 240 mW sources.

Nichia also plans to mass produce a 320 mW model in the first half of 2008, which the company claims will allow 10x recording speed. The estimated lifetime of the device is more than 10,000 hours.
Nichia also announced a high-power blue laser source for image display and rear-projection applications. Outputting 500 mW in continuous-wave mode at 445 nm, the company claims a working life of about 30,000 hours. An increased emission wavelength of 460 nm is being developed, and Nichia believes that sources capable of over 1 W light output could be produced by optimizing the heat dissipation from the source.

Ragnarok

Newly Enlightened
comozo said:

"Nichia also announced a high-power blue laser source for image display and rear-projection applications. Outputting 500 mW in continuous-wave mode at 445 nm, the company claims a working life of about 30,000 hours. An increased emission wavelength of 460 nm is being developed,...
"

Now THOSE are wavelengths I've been waiting to see in higher power diodes!! (drool)

Aseras

Enlightened
lasers are about to get so cheap. I'd say within 5 years you'll be able to get any spectral line you want 500mw, and be less than $1000 for a complete setup.

Laserprojection and holography is where it's going to be.

Freyth

Enlightened
Perhaps even a Laser Museum? You can see all the past lasers, histories behind them and how damn expensive they were lol.

Conceptcar3

Newly Enlightened
any spectral line 500mW less than 1000! I want that world haha. But... what sort of laws will be in place at that time?

Aseras

Enlightened
they dont make these for geeks to have laser pointers, they'll be in devices. worst comes to worse and evil lasers get outlawed or restricted, you can always rip something apart for the diode.

We'll probably have to do that anyways. even right now, that's the easiest ways to get a high power red diode since we can't buy enough in bulk to warrant a decent price.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
1W capable 445nm $50 each now.

Edit: probably should have left this thread in the depths of the archives, but I just thought it was too cool seeing these diodes being speculated about a few years back, and how the diodes have exceeded expectations in most cases.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
1W capable 445nm $50 each now.

Edit: probably should have left this thread in the depths of the archives, but I just thought it was too cool seeing these diodes being speculated about a few years back, and how the diodes have exceeded expectations in most cases.

Yeah, Wicked Lasers recently announced a 1 Watt Spyder III using this diode, and are selling it for $200.

Although I'll wait for someone other than Wicked to put one out. I don't need to pay for their nicer boxes or fancy website design.

(which is crashed as of today...)

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, Wicked Lasers recently announced a 1 Watt Spyder III using this diode, and are selling it for $200.

Although I'll wait for someone other than Wicked to put one out. I don't need to pay for their nicer boxes or fancy website design.

(which is crashed as of today...)

By then the it will be banned and you would be SOL.

I predict it will get banned in a few months once a few people are blinded and maimed by 1Watt Class IV, lasers mom bought for their precocious teen.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, WL is shite for doing that.

they're just trying to get some quick sales an claim that they were first. if you had $200 and wanted to buy a laser off of WL's site, your choices would be a <0.005W Blu-ray or a <1W blue. I reckon they're smoking crack or simply just don't give a crap.