mag mod?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
i havent had a maglight in a long time but i think its time to get one. i have seen the malkoffdevice led upgrade and it looks impressive, also my friend wants to mod his dads mag for a fathers day gift. any other suggestions or is this the best upgrade.

racer7

Newly Enlightened
Its a question of price vs current at the led.

The Terralux drop ins are 500 mA approx at the led and $25. The Malkoff, if available, is 1A (in a 3D) or twice as much and around $70. It is substantially brighter than the Terralux (I've used both) and will not dim if you leave it on a long time because it has proper heatsinking.

Otherwise, build your own and you can push an SSC at bit higher but at some risk of problems, especially if push too hard and lack the tools to do electrical and temp measurements. But that's more $.

The Malkoff is the premier drop in at the moment and it matches Gene's modded mags that he sold prior to the drop in. But the Terralux is a good buy.
The Terralux likes a 4D with a 3D as reasonable. The Malkoff runs best in a 3D but will in a 2D still outperform the Terralux. Unless Gene has started to make and sell C drop ins, his first drop ins do not fit a C light.

Racer7

racer7

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention that the Terralux comments apply to the previously available SSC version for 3-6 cell Mags. MattK at BatteryJunction has the new Terralux SSC drop in coming soon for the 2-3 cell lights and it will make a very decent 2 or 3 cell, C or D light as it is apparently intended to perform like the one meant for more cells. However, it won't match the Malkoff in a 2D or 3D. Gene is probably going to be releasing his C size fairly soon - his website already has a placeholder for it. Gene's drop ins should not be run in 4-6 cells mags- they are designed for 4.5V max.

See the thread on the new Terralux for more info.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have Gene's drop-in in a 2D mag with 3C's crammed inside. :) So far so good.

Latest posts