Fenix L2T battery reversal (Very bad I think)

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Yup, I put the batteries in my Fenix L2T in backwards, and now it's putting out about .5 lums. This light has been my EDC for a year, and I've dropped it, smashed it, ran it for hundreds of hours, don't tell me that it doesn't have polarity protection! If I did wreck it, is there anyway to fix it (if I send it into Fenix, will they fix it for me). If I have destroyed this excellent light, what should I look at for my next LED EDC light (<$50)? I loved the L2T, but something different might be cool (I've been looking at the L2DCE and the P3D). Thank you.

Last edited:

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
My sympathies... I have lost lights in the past too (somehow dropped or misplaced). Maybe you can ask the shop you bought it from if it can be fixed but I guess that may be expensive.

If you liked the L2T, I guess you'll love the L2D CE. Definitely blows away L2T in all aspects. Only USD52 shipped from fenix-store.com with CPF8 discount. For added versatility, you could even get the L1D tube to use 1AA.

P3D is nice I guess, but I'm not into CR123 :)

Happy hunting.

scottaw

Enlightened
7777, i've only been a customer with you once (so far...) but i've read a lot of your posts, and my one experience, dude, you rock, thanks.

michaelmcgo said:
Yup, I put the batteries in my Fenix L2T in backwards, and now it's putting out about .5 lums. This light has been my EDC for a year, and I've dropped it, smashed it, ran it for hundreds of hours, don't tell me that it doesn't have polarity protection! If I did wreck it, is there anyway to fix it (if I send it into Fenix, will they fix it for me). If I have destroyed this excellent light, what should I look at for my next LED EDC light (<$50)? I loved the L2T, but something different might be cool (I've been looking at the L2DCE and the P3D). Thank you.

It's quite well known on this forums that many Fenix brand flashlights aren't protected against mis-installation of batteries. Reverse polarity protection by an electrical or a mechanical means is employed on almost all battery powered consumer electronics.

I find it to be a deficiency in design for failing to provide adequate protection against a very likely accidental misuse.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I have to agree with handlobraesing completely.
And 4sevens replacement offer is very generous too by the way.
The Gods have noticed and will record this event for 7777's final judgment...he will pass into the light ;)

BGater

Enlightened
My vote also and all of my Fenix business in the future. I know this cant be done for every customer, but its refreshing to have a dealer step up and do something like this once in awhile.

BGater said:
My vote also and all of my Fenix business in the future. I know this cant be done for every customer, but its refreshing to have a dealer step up and do something like this once in awhile.

There's a difference between correcting a poor design and preventing failure in the first place vs continuing with poor design and having the dealer throw replacement as they break.

Asking that a car to be made resistant to crash damage proof is not realistic. However, requiring interlock on changing from forward-reverse is easily implemented and is effective at preventing transmission damage and parking lot accidents. Do you rather they do away with the interlock and replace your transmission for free whenever you mistakenly shift into reverse while in forward motion or prevent it in the first place with a design based solution?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
BGater said:

Actually, I'll be glad to take care of anyone who needs a head replacement :)

jur

Newly Enlightened
Reverse polarity protection is not so easy - most simple solutions suck a substantial portion of battery voltage: a series diode. Running a single AA this solution is not possible. With no series diode, the circuitry itself has to have a lack of reverse conduction path through it, also rare (perhaps impossible) with high efficiency switchers.

So I don't think this is a design deficiency; I would call it a calculated risk, alternatively a lesser of 2 evils, or with an single AA design, a necessity.

George M

Newly Enlightened
jur said:
Reverse polarity protection is not so easy - most simple solutions suck a substantial portion of battery voltage: a series diode.
OK, but wouldn't a mechanical solution be cheap and easy? Seems like a thin insulating washer on the positive contact that only allowed the positive nub of the battery through should be effective.

Out of curiosity, what would happen in a 2 cell light if you put only one of the cells in backwards?

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
I've been a customer of 7777 on 5 occasions I think... and I believe I will be for many more to come...

kudos...