Cummins wins again!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had by far the heaviest and largest tow today! I have Michelin street tread tires, so 2WD (with limited slip) didn't win. A Ford F150 gave enough help to get me and the trailer moving.

But once I got the 30' Office Trailer out on hard pack the Cummins pulled it like it wasn't there! It had a LOT of tongue weight, so it rode kinda rough.

I had a pretty long avg. MPG on the readout and started the hooking up and about 25 mile pull at 21.5

I ended at 20.7, and got a tenth back on the way home.

I wish I could have pulled it across a scale, as I'd like to know.

And have I ever mentioned I LOVE my Cummins???

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I need decent camera.

Maybe next time I move it. And there WILL be a next time!

Here is thr Truck at least...

Truckwithboxes2.jpg

Last edited:

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
Ford makes a great fullsized pickup, but they oughta buy Chrysler from D-C just so they can offer the Cummins as an option for the F-250s and 350s. As hard as Ford and GM try, for most 9 out of 10 pickup owners the Cummins does everything they need done.

I wasn't willing to swing the extra 4 grand for the Powerstroke when I bought my F-350 and got the V-10 instead. A fillup these days involves two crying towels and a sedative. But I'm still not driving enough miles to justify the diesel.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard somewhere that ford bought cummings, dodge will be using MTU's which is a division of mercedes, chevy bought powerstroke from ford. I dont remember where this info came from

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My understanding is that Dodge loses Cummins exclusivety in like 2008, and that Ford actually owns Cummins or something like that.

I often thought an F250/350 with a Cummins and a good tranny would be the Bees Knees!

I've heard horror stories about both Powerstroke (the 6.0 PS) and the Duramax. I don't remember ever hearing SQUAT bad about the Cummins engine. I know 2001 and prior Dodge CHASSIS had their problems!!!

C

charge

I have always dreamed of owning a Dodge/Cummins.
Not much of a Powerstroke fan myself.

You cant beat a straight six Diesel:twothumbs

Just my opinion:grin2:

charge

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
The new 6 liter Powerstroke supposedly is pretty good now, but its still expensive, heavy, and complicated. It had some pretty horrendous teething problems, which is why I didn't wait the two months to order it on my F-350. Never buy the first year of anything, as the saying goes.

Both Ford trannies in the Superduties are pretty good. I have the 6-M. Other than some odd choices for gear ratios, its been perfect so far. Haven't heard anything about the trannies in the new F-150, but if the trannies are up to it I think a Cummins scaled down to about 4.7-4.8 liters in the F-150 and big-gas tanks would blow the competition out of the water. Though the styling on GM's half-tons is better than Ford or Dodge (never ever thought I'd say that!).

As for I-6s, one of the best engines Ford ever produced was their boring old 300 c.i.d. inline 6. Long stroke, lots of torque, durable. But not a V-8, so nobody wanted it.

Beamshots? One of these years I want to put some Hellas on my truck. Two Rallye 4000s, a pair of Jumbo 220s in Cool Blue, etc. All I need is to find a $1000 bill lying on the ground...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Since that picture of my Ram was taken (well actually in the last couple of months) my drivers side "fog" lite... (I call 'em ditch lites) got busted by a rock or something. And at almost $150 there is no telling when or even if it will get replaced.

I miss it!

I'd NEVER add extra "add-on" lites!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Have I ever mentioned that I LIKE my Cummins?

I need to let the insurance people see my truck. The other day a huge stone wacked my windshield almost right in my line of site.

Maybe I can get the fog lite replaced as part of the deal..

Made Corpus and back no sweat on one tank. And since it didn't rain it wasn't even a particularly exciting trip.

cy

Flashaholic
1997 Dodge Ram CTD, Ext. Cab 2500HD 4x4 3.55, 47RE, long bed, 96k miles, KDP killed, K & N, ATF 4+
______________ \____
¦ 6BT•••CUMMINS ¦¦ �,\____"
¦_...._...._________¦¦==¦"'"""'¦
/(©)¤(©) ¤¤¤ (©)¨(©)¨¨¨ (©)¨
°----°----°----°----°----°----°----°----™