Mini-Palm LED - 1xAA

mhubble

Enlightened
I reviewed this light a long time ago, cant seem to find the thread though. Ive got 3 of them I use almost daily. Great little lights. Very well made. Full brightness for almost 2 hours. Very bright. Has one big square hot spot like the PALM BLAZE. Its the only single AA light I know of that has a true tactical switch. Push for momentary on, push till it clicks for constant on. The coating is pretty slick so I sprayed mine with spray on texture from walmart. Works great. If you check out GOLDEN GADGETS Ebay listings you can usually get the MINIPALM cheaper than on their website.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
After reading mhubble's comments I decided to look for a Mini-Palm on e-bay. I just now purchased one for $14.55 including shipping! I think I did OK. :paypal:

mhubble

Enlightened
After reading mhubble's comments I decided to look for a Mini-Palm on e-bay. I just now purchased one for $14.55 including shipping! I think I did OK.

Wow, that is a great price for a great light.

And thanks Robban for finding the thread.

ps56k

Enlightened
yeah - I had read the other thread, which led me to post there, and then thinking of making a thread topic specific to those lights.
I'd like to see something of the real lumen output...
along with any other real world gotchas, switch failure, lens, lanyard slot, etc
Also saw them on eBay for lesser price+shipping compared to the original store website.
tnx for the input, will probably pick one up along with a new Mag LED 2AA

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Modern_Major_General said:
I heard some conflicting things awhile back about this light, does it in fact use a nichia or luxeon led?

I was just going to ask the same question after reading the other thread. DX sells a similar Nichia light for half the price (looks like the Nichia light MattK mentioned in the other thread), though they list their light as a .5 watt light.

Last edited:

mhubble

Enlightened
I heard some conflicting things awhile back about this light, does it in fact use a nichia or luxeon led?

They are definetly Luxeon Leds. And definetly 1 watt. I have no way to measure but compared to other lights I have its easily 50 Lumens.
Edit - I think the first ones that came out were nichia, but the last two I got(within the last few weeks) are Luxeon.

I'd like to see something of the real lumen output...
along with any other real world gotchas, switch failure, lens, lanyard slot, etc

Ive got one Ive had for a good while and use it almost daily, NO PROBLEMS at all. The switch is one of the besrt parts of this light. True tactical type. The lanyard hole is a litlle small but I easily drilled it out bigger.
Ive bought a ton of the cheap lights from DX and Kao, they cant even come close to comparing in the quality of the MINI PALM.
Go ahead and buy one, you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

freefall8

Newly Enlightened
I bought one as a gift. It's a good light for under $20. Just remember, there is no lens in front of the optic.

ps56k

Enlightened
freefall8 said:
I bought one as a gift. It's a good light for under $20. Just remember, there is no lens in front of the optic.
ok, went ahead and grabbed one from eBay,
but forgot about that lens comment - just seems weird to not have a lens ?

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I didn't realize there was no lens on the light! In the picture it looks like there is one. Oh well, $14.55 barely buys a good meal today so I guess I can live without a lens. I'm still looking forward to it's arrival. :broke:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
ps56k said:
ok, went ahead and grabbed one from eBay,
but forgot about that lens comment - just seems weird to not have a lens ?

I don't have a Mini Palm. It sounds like the same setup as a Coast LED Lenser David 15 which has a collimator but no window. That has not been a problem so far with the David 15.

ps56k

Enlightened
mhubble said:
They are definetly Luxeon Leds. And definetly 1 watt. I think the first ones that came out were Nichia, but the last two I got(within the last few weeks) are Luxeon..
How can you tell they are actually LUX (or any other specific LED) ?

s002cjs

Newly Enlightened
freefall8 said:

I've seen this before, and just double-checked mine. There IS a lens on mine, it is just contoured around the LED itself, so it's not a flat lens over the front of the light. The head unscrews easily so that you can see the oddly-shaped lens. I don't think my camera could quite capture it, but I'd be willing to try if there's interest!

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
s002cjs said:
I've seen this before, and just double-checked mine. There IS a lens on mine, it is just contoured around the LED itself, so it's not a flat lens over the front of the light. The head unscrews easily so that you can see the oddly-shaped lens. I don't think my camera could quite capture it, but I'd be willing to try if there's interest!

:naughty: Please do! :thanks:

mhubble

Enlightened
I've seen this before, and just double-checked mine. There IS a lens on mine, it is just contoured around the LED itself, so it's not a flat lens over the front of the light.

Its called a colminator lens(spelling) The palm blaze has one too. Thats where the big hot spot comes from.

mhubble

Enlightened
Yes the head is accessible. Heres a few pics of one of mine.

The green board is loose inside the housing. Just the two soldered wires hold it.