• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Signup Thread for the BigLeef system

Leef

Enlightened
This thread refers to my threads on the BigLeef modular system here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/158560

and here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2021359#post2021359

These CPF members have indicated their intention to purchase BigLeef parts (don't worry if I've not stated exactly what you want, esp. SF C v. SF M necks). :grin2:

ar_wanton, 1, 2C
Chronos, 1, 2C
dradee1, 1, 3C
brunt_sp, 2, 3C
Skalomax, 1, 2C
Waynejitsu, 1, 3C
Kakster, 1, 3C
Lips, 1, 2C
Msaxatilus, 1, 1C and 1, 2C
Ming560, 1, 2C
Strauss, 1, 2C
Action, 1, 2C; 1, 3C
flex76italy, 1 TC and neck
Rommul, 2, 2C
Softfeel, 1, 2C
Nebula, 1, 1x26650
joedos 1, 2C
Pete7226, 1, 2C

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take one.

Just to get things straight...

These will fit all Surefire M-Series Heads?
These are going to be available In HA NAT, You can use 2 AW C Li-ION cells?

Thanks

Action

Enlightened
So this will only fit M series heads? I keep coming back to why M series heads? Many more people have KT2 heads that fit C series heads than KT4 heads. Now if you made an adapter that would convert any KT head to fit M series bodies, I bet that there would be some market for them since Surefire refuses to sell adapters like this. Then I could buy one of your 3x18650 tubes C-M and quit bugging you about building 3x18650 C-C tubes (which so far appears to probably have better sales potential than these).

I would be interested in C-C, maybe a 2C & a 3C, but only in C-C or if you make adapters for the KT heads to fit M threads...

Leef

Enlightened
Lips, Kakster, Waynejitsu et.al, my apologies for not making this clearer (or maybe you understand and there's just a problem with terminology).

There are no extenders! All bodies for a particular battery are the same. The necks and the tailcaps have nothing to do with battery type (at this point, C cells and A123 26650 cells) or number of batteries the light will use. If you had a dozen bodies (for a particular battery type) in a box, you could put together a 1-cell, 2-cell, 3-cell, etc., up to a 12-cell. It would make no difference which body you pulled out of the box first, second, or last.

Leef

Enlightened
Re using the BigLeef for SF C-series bodies: There seems to be a lot of interest in this, so (as Doc H said), "I'm your huckleberry!" That is, I'll get right on this tomorrow and see if a C-series neck can be designed. If so, I'll make a prototype and get a CNC bid.

I agree with you C-series enthusiasts -- it'd be a great addition to the BigLeef to give it this flexibility!

That's where I'm hoping to go with this -- a flexible, modular system that will accommodate a few different battery types and a few different heads, just as long as they're about the same size (e.g. it would be really odd to fit an E-series head to a C-cell). If the LeefHead project :)whistle:) works out like I hope, that will add more flexibility yet, including a large (3" or more) head.

Leef

Enlightened
I'm reposting the basic description on this thread for everyone's convenience.

=====================================
Okay, guys, I have some cost numbers on the BigLeef and need to decide whether this project makes sense.

To review, the BigLeef is a multi-battery (two types, each type in unlimited numbers), modular system consisting of a neck, one or more bodies, and a tailcap. There are necks for the SF C-series and M-series. A neck is under study for the Mag D head. Behind that, one or more bodies can be screwed together for one or multiple cell capacity (which means no extenders per se). The bodies fit together closely and overlap for nearly an inch, so the joint is quite strong. Finally, the tailcap screws into the body and has a tactical clicky switch that will handle most hotwire current loads (a higher capacity switch will be offered, but it'll be a reverse clicky). All joints are sealed with an o-ring.

The photos below show prototypes with the M-series neck that differ from the final product in three ways -- color, body pattern and tailcap design. As to color,the basic will be HA-III (gray, matching the SF M-series heads) and if there's enough interest, I'll do an electroless nickel finish. The tailcaps will have teardrop shaped cutouts matching those on the neck, scaled down to fit, and they will have lanyard holes. Current plans are for them to be scalloped, altho I realize that some people prefer a plain end. In either case, the light will tail stand.

img7819pe7.jpg

img7821rm0.jpg

img7820lq1.jpg

As to body design, a unique interlocking, progressive spiral design I call a spider web pattern is under consideration in lieu of knurling. The first 100 necks will be sequentially numbered. Of course, the Leef logo will be attached, attesting to the quality of the product.

The BigLeef has two different body sizes. One is for the protected, rechargeable LiIon cell offered by AW, having a capacity of 3,300 mAh (50% greater than the 18650). These bodies also fit NiMh and other standard size C cells.

The second body fits the new A123 26650 cell. These are used by DeWalt in their power tools and have three advantages: they're safe, and they can be discharged and charged at rates unheard of in the flashlight world (30 C continuous discharge and <5 min. full charge). See www.a123systems.com for more information on these cells. Milkyspit has built lights around this cell -- keep an eye on his pages.

I'm really excited about this product, but then, what really matters is whether enough of you are interested to make a production run a good gamble. So what I've decided to do is test the market. A minimum production run, for reasonable unit pricing, is 100 units. If I can get half that number of firm commitments, I'll proceed with construction.

Here's how that works. Anyone who intends to buy one or more basic light needs to PM me and I'll post an updated list. Specific numbers may be requested. If 50 or more units are signed up for, then I'll make a second list, a confirmation list based on a 50% nonrefundable deposit via PP. Not later than when I get 50 deposits, I'll start production. Since the prototypes have been made and firm cost bids obtained from the CNC shop, it won't take long for the lights to be delivered. To be on the conservative side, I'd allow a month after I place the order.

Here are the prices for the first 50 units: M-series necks @ $45, C bodies @ $42, A123 bodies @ $45, and tail caps @ $46. C-series necks not yet determined, but they should be a bit cheaper than the M-series neck.

So, for example, a 1-cell C light would cost $133 and a 2-C light would cost $175. You can order as many bodies per head/tailcap as you wish.

These lights will be sold by Lighthound, subject to his usual shipping, etc. policies and great service.

The second 50 will be 10% higher. Depending on the acceptance of the BigLeef, the above prices may drop a bit if I decide to make more than 100 in the first run. So anyone who's serious should sign up early.

There are other Leef parts that might become a part of the BigLeef system, for example a neck for the soon-to-be-announced LeefHeads :whistle:. My interest in developing such things depends on the success of the basic unit.

As has always been the case, I sincerely appreciate your interest in all Leef parts. Let the games begin!

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
Dave, here are the prices (as posted below):

Here are the prices for the first 50 units: necks @ $45, C bodies @ $42, A123 bodies @ $45, and tail caps @ $46.

So, for example, a 1-cell C light would cost $133 and a 2-C light would cost $175. You can order as many bodies per head/tailcap as you wish.

dradee1

Newly Enlightened
I still dont think everyone gets the concept, maybe becasue its a awsome idea and not many things are made this way.......

Buy 1 neck and 1 tailcap and if you want a 1 C-cell light then buy 1 C-cell body if you want a 2 C-cell light then buy 2 bodys and so on and so on, the awsome concept of a truley modular flashlight...,, right?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Leef. I got so excited when I saw the prototype photos, I decided to jump on the bandwagon regardless of price.

Thanks,
MSax

Action

Enlightened
So will you be manufacturing the collar to convert KT heads to M threads or will you be making separate tubes for M, C, & Mag lights?

Will anodizing be available or will they just be bare?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a 3 C body option?

Edit: ignore this post, I think I have it now.

My preference would be for standard knurling (yep, I'm boring)

Leef, please count me as interested fo at least 2 LeefHeads if that project ever gets off the ground.

Last edited: