LS vs Inova 5X

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@rtin

Newly Enlightened
I've got an X5T and an LS1 hybrid. The LS1 is brighter and whiter than the X5T, and probably about 4mm thicker. The new LS1 rev.2 and LS2 is thinner than the old LS1, so knock 1-2mm off that for those.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, i don't have the inova...but it only uses 5 nichias...

the ls2 uses a luxeon star, which, when driven at specs, is said to be between 15-20 nichias driven at specs.

the inova, does of course overdrive a bit, but the ls2 is still brighter.

i don't have any comparison pictures, but the arcls is much shorter, and and almost exactly the same width.

plus, when you buy the arc...you buy an arc
grin.gif

***edit***again...someone budged in line...this happens to me a lot.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Inova being a fine light that it is, is still only five Nichia LEDs so even my CMG Reactor is brighter.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I own both the Inova X5 and LS1. When I bought the Inova, I thought it was the neatest flashlight ever. It's good looking, and has the wow! factor whenever I show it to co-workers.

Then I bought the LS1. It's more than twice as bright and 1/2 the size of the X5. The LS1 became my EDC, and the Inova was relegated as a back-up in my house emergency kit because of it's longer run time.

LLLean

Enlightened
I just received my Inova 5X yesterday and I'm now thinking about getting the LS2. The 5X is very beautiful and nice, but it's longer than i had thought, so i may need a different light. I want it to be my EDC. Can someone comment on the beam quality/brightness between the 5X and the LS2 (or LS1)? Also, is the LS much thicker? Comparison pix will be greatly appreciated. Much thanks in advance.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5 makes a great car light. Not too expensive of an investment and you have the storage/weather advantages of the lithiums. That is what mine is used for but Arcs and other LS lights rule around the house.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5T is a very nice light. It is small, lightweight, has a 20 hour run time, is very bright (yes, on 5 Nichia LED's it is VERY Bright).

All the LED''s are recessed, so there is minimal scratching when in your pocket, and no side spill.

My Inova is becoming an EDC light for me. No where near as bright as my LGI from Mr. Bulk, but very white and very bright.

Also, a thing to consider is the maturity of the Nichia lights. Don't have to worry about color variation, like you do with the Luxeon Stars.

Brightguy also has them on sale for 41 dollars.

It is not the ultimate in LED lights, but it is very cool looking, bright, nice white color, lightweight and long running.

LLLean

Enlightened
Much thanks to everyone for the useful info.
BON, in that second pix, what's that light third from right on the bottom row (next to the Arc AAA)?

Yes, the Inova 5Xt is an absolute beauty and the light is nice white, but it's a tad longer than i had thought and also not too bright (i'm too used to SureFire incand!). So I'll have to get the LS2. I just gave my 3-day old Inova to my room-mate for his car.

Was there a difference in light output between the orig Inova 5X and the 5XT?

Regarding the ArcLS2, are the beams typically white or do there vary a lot?
blush.gif
I've never owned an Arc before. Sorry for asking such basic questions. The pix from BON had the LS with yellow light!
blush.gif

BON

Newly Enlightened
quote:
Originally posted by LLLean:
>Regarding the ArcLS2, are the beams typically white or do there vary a lot?
>I've never owned an Arc before. Sorry for asking such basic questions.
>The pix from BON had the LS with yellow light!

I am sorry. My explanation was not enough. I have a feeling that LUXEON-HD which I have is not the quality which Arc uses. The person who purchased LUXEON-HD from the website of Arc said. It is white like NICHIA-LED.
I hear it and I think that the quality of ARC-LS2 is probably excellent.

BON
flashlight_en.gif

web page

Deth

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have both the Inova X5T and a freshly minted blemished LS2 (yes *LS2*). I haven't been able to test 'em both in a nice dark room, but my very subjective viewing in my family room tells me that the LS2 is far brighter, and just as pure white (I guess I might have gotten lucky). And the LS2 has *WAY* more wow factor
smile.gif

LLLean

Enlightened
Deth,

You mean you have both the Inova X5T and the
**LS2** and you HAVEN'T done a test in a nice dark room? Are you serious? Have you been sick? Why do you buy these lights for then? Hehehehe....
smile.gif
smile.gif

Ok, when you get the chance, please test them and let us know how they compare. I'm interested in how they compare in terms of:
a) wideness of beam (say at 10-20feet)
b) throw

Much thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.