Terralux TLE-5 with SSC P4 or TLE-5EX

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question or 2 for you guys.

I have modified two TLE-5 upgrades to the minimag with Seoul Semiconductor P4 LED emitters. And I really like what I see.....quite a bit more light than with the stock TLE-5 but with the same run time on batteries. I know that the TLE-5EX already has this LED on it but I understand that the TLE-5EX also drives more current into it thus while you would get a brighter light you sacrifice some life on the batteries. To me it seems the best comprimise is a TLE-5 with SSC p4 rather than the TLE-5EX....personal preference.

I measured the battery current on the TLE-5 and it was around 230mA with battery voltage around 2.65v. This means that the light is going to last around 8 hours on freshly charged 2500mah batteries. I presume the TLE-5EX will be quite a bit less time and I do not know what the current is on the TLE-5EX.

Am I crazy for wanting the TLE-5 with SSC p4 rather than the brighter TLE-5EX?

Another question on forward voltage drop on the leds:

The SSC P4 that I used was a USVOI with 3.25v-3.50v forward voltage drop spec on the LED. With the current that I was running through them, one read 2.22v and the other 2.16v while the TLE-5 with 1w lux was Vf of 2.24v. If I had bought a p4 emitter that was spec'd out for 3.00 to 3.25v forward voltage drop what that have amounted to on my modded TLE-5? Would it get more efficiency or more light with the same driver? Or have I got this backwards.

Jeff

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hey Jeff,

Current on the TLE-5EX is around 700mA. You're not at all crazy for wanting the TLE-5 with Seoul--I modded one this way myself. Of course, it's not as bright--but sometimes you want the runtime, and not the crazy brightness + heat. Sorry I can't answer your question on Vf. But I'm sure someone here who actually knows what they're soing will be able to :grin2: