Just got my LS2 "WOW"--PURE WHITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cman light

Newly Enlightened
Just got my blemished LS2 and I would just like to say that this light has a pure white beam, not blue, green, or even violet, just pure white. I have 4 other LS1's and none of the colors are this pure white. The beam is a hot center with a smooth corona, the LS1 looks a little more impressive up close but at further distances it's much more noticeable, but again the beam is much more pure white than even a ARC AAA LE.
The beam is comparable to a SF E1E but not quite as bright.
The blemished finish is just a tad lighter than normal, an almost grey green I was worried that it would be very noticeable but it's not.
Another great ARC flashlight that I would highly recommend...

Deth

Newly Enlightened
I also just got mine, and it's *BLINDINLY* white. And as for the blemishing, it's rather hard to see. All I need now is the 2AA TSP, and life'll be good
smile.gif

MY

Enlightened
Some comparison pictures please from those who have a LS2, LS1 and KL1. I think that ARC's statement that the LS2 is 50% brighter than LS1 must be substantiated. While I am hoping that this true, 50% increase is hard to believe. I think that a lot of folks are just waiting for some proof that the LS2 is worth the investment and substantively better than the LS1 or KL1.

By the way my LS2 should be here soon so I am not one of those that need to be convinced.

MikeF

Enlightened
I just received my LS2s (#545) Blemished version, and the switched tailcap is great, and the finish is not all that bad, but it does not have quite the consistency or color depth of my LS1-first. But my initial comparison of the light output is that the LS2s is not as bright as either one of my LS1's (#219-second & #1026-first). I put a brand new fresh off the blister pack Eveready 123 into the LS2s, and the LS1 has a single used Eveready 123. Even with the used 123, the hotspot is smaller, and not as bright from the LS2s. I then swapped batteries between the LS1 and the LS2S, with the same results, so it does not appear to be a battery issue. In comparison between the LS2S and my other LS1 with the two AA holder and Lithium batteries, again the LS1 is brighter. It is not just the smaller hotspot, the hotspot of both LS1's are brighter and larger than the new LS2S that I just received. I will shoot and post some beamshots later.
confused.gif
frown.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MikeF:
I just received my LS2s (#545) Blemished version, and the switched tailcap is great, and the finish is not all that bad, but it does not have quite the consistency or color depth of my LS1-first. But my initial comparison of the light output is that the LS2s is not as bright as either one of my LS1's (#219-second & #1026-first). I put a brand new fresh off the blister pack Eveready 123 into the LS2s, and the LS1 has a single used Eveready 123. Even with the used 123, the hotspot is smaller, and not as bright from the LS2s. I then swapped batteries between the LS1 and the LS2S, with the same results, so it does not appear to be a battery issue. In comparison between the LS2S and my other LS1 with the two AA holder and Lithium batteries, again the LS1 is brighter. It is not just the smaller hotspot, the hotspot of both LS1's are brighter and larger than the new LS2S that I just received. I will shoot and post some beamshots later.
confused.gif
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just got my SLS2 today and noticed the exact same thing. It's about the brightness of the LS1 but with a smaller hotspot and the exact same throw. So to my eyes it's dimmer than the LS1.

The finish is just lighter in color, otherwise it looks fine.

I'm starting to like the 123TSP.
smile.gif

Pics:
ls2c.jpg

sls2.jpg

sls2b.jpg

rick258

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I must report that I am very disappointed with the SLS2 I received today. I was hoping for a WOW response once it got dark and I fired up the new SLS2. Instead my response was "gee, sure looks greenish to me". Did a quick eyeball comparison between a rev2 1st, a hybrid 2nd 400ma, and the SLS2. The rev2 was much brighter and whiter than any of the others with the hybrid 2nd noticiably brighter and whiter than the SLS2. The SLS2's beam is duller and more green to my eyes. NOT what I was expecting for the money I paid. The only upside to this purchase is that I actually like the TSP and believe it has a place in my flashlight arsenal. Will probably be returning he SLS2 as it does not meet expectations. Rick

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean, I am noticing as well that some of the units don't seem as bright as I expected. I took 4 of the latest SLS2 off the line and home with me this weekend for more testing.

I am going to test them by comparing them to a SLS1 I have here for tint, brightness, etc. I will also be dunking all 4 to see how consistent the water proofness is.

These HDs are N3K bin so they are within spec. They have a great tint (not too blue, not too green), but their brightness seems middle of the road. Earlier this week, I was seeing units that where noticably brighter. One possibility is that our last reel of LS1s was exceptionally bright. But it shouldn't be that big of a difference. Gosh, these variations are going to drive me crazy... If you get a part and it doesn't just make you say, "wow" (like most of the LS2 reports we have heard so far), then we will take care of it.

Btw, the 3 tint is actually pretty good. They do look greenish when next to the blueish 4s, but they actually are more white in real use. I think I am just use to the blue tint of our LEDs.

The bin ranking on the reels is a general rule I think. There still will be quite a bit of variation among the parts. We sort then by eye for tint. We also eyeball them for brightness, but that is more subjective. N flux is not a bad flux, but I think we got spoiled on that reel of P fluxes. If worse comes to worse, I will just stop using anything less than a P4 in the LS2 firsts. That will really reduce their availability big time. Understand that the overwealming majority of the parts we recieve our much worse than even the N3 we have been using. P4 would make these parts about as rare as the LE.

The idea here is to use the latest technology to make a bright, compact light.

I apologize if you got a SLS2 and it was dissapointing. We will take care of you. I knew the LS2 reel we were using this week was N flux. I just didn't think it would be that big of a difference. I checked each one for tint (because even though the reel says 3 tint, there are aberations on the reel) myself and that looked fine so I figured we where home free. I also took a few units and compared them to a LS1 I have last week and the LS2 was about 50% brighter. Now this week I do the same thing and they seem about the same or dimmer. Do you guys think at $125 and including the tailswitch, they are a better or worse deal than the $120 LS1 without the tailswitch? If you think they are generally a worse deal, we will lower the price and issue credits. I just want to do what is right by the CPF.

On monday I will look through our reels of HDs and see if we have anything better than the N3s. If so, I will save those out for the LS2 firsts and get back to you on how we are going to offer these.

Peter Gransee

KenBar

Enlightened
I wish we treated our customers, where I work, this way....
"If you get a part and it doesn't just make you say, "wow" (like most of the LS2 reports we have heard so far), then we will take care of it."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by KenBar:
I wish we treated our customers, where I work, this way....
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
"If you get a part and it doesn't just make you say, "wow" (like most of the LS2 reports we have heard so far), then we will take care of it."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's why I have an order in for a $150 flashlight, sight and specs unseen, in spite of having at least a dozen other types of suitable lights.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gransee:
On monday I will look through our reels of HDs and see if we have anything better than the N3s. If so, I will save those out for the LS2 firsts and get back to you on how we are going to offer these.

Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would like to exchange mine for a brigher one please.
smile.gif

Btw, the 3 tint is actually pretty good. They do look greenish when next to the blueish 4s, but they actually are more white in real use. I think I am just use to the blue tint of our LEDs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually the beam tint I have is perfect (white with slight greenish tint). I don't know why people want blue so bad. BLue looks blue no matter what, but the SLS2 I have looks white until you do a side-by-side, then you can see a slight amount of green in it.

People need to realize that you will not get a white one, it will be blue, violet or green. I prefer the slight green I have in my SLS2 it is very close to white.

But if it takes a 4 that's blue to get higher brightness than I'm all for it.
wink.gif

As far as their value compared to the LS1 rev2, the SLS2 has a nicer beam but is much dimmer (at least mine is). I can only go by my gut and say that even with the discount it wasn't worth it. If there is no way to swap my SLS2 for a brighter one then I would say it's a worse deal than the LS1. I am liking the TSP though.

Oh and Peter, disregard my email about exhanging my SLS2 until you decide/figure out what you can do. It's not worth swapping it out if the next one is the same.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about this some more tonight. True, these tints will drive me insane, but I feel like I should have definately known more about this when we orginally offered the SLS2.

It's friday night ("date night") and I must not ignore my beautiful wife much longer. But, I will think about the flux problem over the weekend and come up with a decision by Monday. My gut feeling is to lower the SLS2 price and get more picky on the flux for the LS2 firsts. If we simply can't get the higher flux HD, we won't offer the LS2 firsts right now.

What a mess.

Peter Gransee

Joel

Newly Enlightened
Set another place for dinner, I'm finally home! My first post. I didn't know a place like this existed. I've always been into flashlights. I used to save cereal box tops as a five-year-old kid just so I could send them in for those cheap key-chain penlights. My family knows me as the "Flashlight Freak." Funny how they don't complain about my collection anymore, I was handing out flashlights like candy at Halloween when the big California earthquake struck in 1994. All this aside, I've just purchased my first Arc lights, a couple AAA and a LS2 blem. When all is said and done the AAA is the best light I have ever owned, it's awesome! I do, however, have to agree with most in this thread that the LS2 was disappointing , the color is fantastic but the output is dim. I also tried several different batteries just to make sure but right now my Inova X5 is kicking its tush. I know Peter must be freaking out, but who better to test these things than the people that really care. We also realize what a fantastic job Arc is doing and we appreciate the commitment to craft. It seems to me that Arc has always done right by their customers, that's why I didn't mind spending the bucks and I will continue to do so. This too shall pass. May the light shine bright on you and yours this holiday season.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a mess.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So Peter...

How did Friday the 13th end up for you otherwise?

I`ll now wait to see what kind of "luck of the draw" I`ll get with the LS2`s that are winging their way to me as we speak.

We, of course, trust you implicitly. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes.

smile.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, do you have any kind of light meter? Even a $5 solar cell & volt meter would work. If you did, you could just run them through a quick test, instead of trying to eye them up.

Deth

Newly Enlightened
Well, Peter the more I compare it to my existing LEDs (V2 Triplex with 3 and Inova X5T) the more I realize that it's not as bright as I first thought
frown.gif
Don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely beautiful light even with the blemish.

OTOH, if you were to offer a head/assembly exchange for a LED more in light with the 50% bright than LS1 estimate, I'd definitely want one.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Sean on the beam color, that slightly green is best. When by itself, it looks white, you only notice the green when comparing it side by side with a blue/violet beam. Out of probably ten Luxeon lights I have come across only two exhibit this tint.

RickLux

Newly Enlightened
I really enjoy my flashlights and I live in Charlotte NC where we have thousands still in the dark 11 days after the ice storm that left 2 million in this area without power. I have some great lights. I carry a aaa le and a surefire with me. I have a Lambda cyclops and couple from Wayne and Mr Bulks lgi not mentioning a couple of great lightstreams. So here I am in the middle of 2 million outages and my lights stay on!! sheesh
icon8.gif
confused.gif
!! All my family's also stay on, except my Dad
grin.gif
so I gave him a ls 1 watt I got from Wayne, he loved it! My blemished arc ls is arriving Monday not that I need it right now my lights are on. But i am hoping it will be one of the bright strong flux ones.
tongue.gif
Love your products Peter

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I got my BLS2 and it's nowhere near as bright as my Arc-LS First Run #763, not even mentioning it should be 50% brighter. In fact, compared side by side, it's the least brightest of all my Arc-LSs (all first runs), although it is the whitest of the bunch.

Let me know what I should do. I don't think it's worth it at this price, because my older Arcs are much brighter...

rick258

Enlightened
Just got back from a vacation and see that others have received their SLS2's. I also see that there has been a lot of activity in "ARC World". Peter has, as usual, come to a reasonable solution to accommodate the purchasers of SLS2's. I had intended on returning mine when I got back off vacation but I am pleased with Peter's offer of a credit. Wish mine had been one of the white ones but I am now satisfied with my purchase. I just hope, as others have expressed, that those of us who took a chance on the initial LS2's will be given a chance at the first truly "Peter Perfect" LS2's when available. THANKS for the great customer service Peter. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts