Are 2nd Gen Inova X-1's still available at Target?

Boom Stick

Newly Enlightened
Or have they phased over completely to 3rd Gens.

If so, anyone have an idea for a cheap single AA light with similar runtimes to the 2gen X-1 that can be purchased in a brick and mortar store?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 closest Target stores have only 2nd generation Inova X1 flashlights -- no 3rd generation yet in stores nearest to me.

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
I would just order one from Matt at Battery Junction, http://batteryjunction.com/inxledfl.html remember to use the coupon code cpf2006 for a 5% discount. I am sure that if you select the cheapest shipping option that you will be well under what you would pay at your local Target espically if you include tax.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that of all the Target stores across the country, 95% of them still have Gen 2 X1s hanging there ready for you. In Indianapolis and St Louis, only the stores in the more affluent areas even have the Gen 3 lights at all. One store in St Louis actually had Gen 1 (with the optic), Gen 2 (Nichia CS with the reflector) and Gen 3 X1s hanging on the same peg.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes!! I picked up a Gen3 X1 on Friday evening at Target. :) I like it much better than the 5mm. One of my biggest complaints with the gen2s was that the LED was often cocked to one side and caused a whole bunch of goofy color fringing. Anyhow, I put a new lithium in the nex X1 and I've been using it for my (walk around the house at night) light. It's a bit bright for that but still works well.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some CPFers are probably waiting for the Gen 2 X1s to go on sale or to be clearanced out... That will almost definately never happen. The Gen 2 and Gen 3 X1s have the exact same barcode from Inova so I don't see how Target could discount the Gen 2s without also discounting the Gen 3 unless they used some sort of price lookup type tag.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
...The Gen 2 and Gen 3 X1s have the exact same barcode from Inova so I don't see how Target could discount the Gen 2s without also discounting the Gen 3 unless they used some sort of price lookup type tag.

Therein lies the reason I suspect that Inova makes major technical changes to its flashlights while keeping the model name and product bar code (UPC code) the same:

To make it easier for Inova dealers to manage their inventories and displays. That would be an incentive for mass market buyers (e.g., Target) to purchase Inovas over a competitor which changes model nomenclature and SKU numbers with each new product.

Latest posts