• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *** Aviatrix and GlowFob Production Schedule and Updates ***

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I've been getting so many questions on the main Aviatrix thread, PM messages, and emails regarding the production and shipping status of my products, that I decided to open this new "central clearinghouse" thread to answer all of these types of questions, and give current production status updates for all the products I'm currently producing.

The two posts following this one will be devoted to production scheduling/updates for the Aviatrix and GlowFob products, in that order.

Aviatrix
======

Aviatrix first production run (25 pcs.) is currently in full-swing. I expected to complete the first 25 piece production and have them all shipped by yesterday (2007-05-12), but unfortunately that was far too optimistic of a schedule to realistically keep. I've been building and shipping between 1 and 4 units per day (depending on my schedule of other projects), and at that rate it will still be Thursday or Friday (2007-05-18) before the first production run is complete. I apologize for not meeting my initial anticipated completion date, but I am wrapping this up as rapidly as possible - as I am looking forward to the next production run, including international orders.

To let you all know, the reasons that the first production run is taking several days longer than originally anticipated are several-fold. First, I'm building the first 25 orders by myself, by hand, in order to identify potential production bottlenecks, difficulties, and areas of the production process that require better jigging or documentation. My plan is that at the end of the first production run, I'll have a smooth-running process that my normal PCBoard assembly subcontractors can take and run with - for any production quantity that comes along. Also, I've been spending part of the time that I have allocated to the Aviatrix project toward code development on the 3-Stage and other advanced Aviatrix models to be announced soon.

GlowFobs
=======

I have completed cylinderical machining and epoxy filling of roughly half of the GlowFobs ordered, although none have yet shipped due to my dissatisfaction with the finished appearance of the first few that I milled the two keychain attachment flats onto (the part the keyring goes through). I decided that the radius I was using was too small a diameter, and did an experiment with a larger diameter radius. It came out looking very good geometrically... but the 6-flute endmill I was using grabbed and "galled" the chips, making the surface finish look scarred and opaque. I ordered a 2-flute endmill last week to solve that problem, it should be here Tomorrow or Tues. (2007-05-15), at which point I will mill the flats on the ones that are in process, ship them, then do the other half. I'm planning on having all GlowFob orders that are currently pending finished and shipped by Thurs. of this week (2007-05-17).

Other A2 Mods
===========

I have 2 LED replacement mods currently pending. I'm letting those of you who ordered the THC3 LED replacements in your stock Surefire LED rings know that both mods are complete, packaged, and will ship back to you tomorrow (Monday, 2007-05-14). UPDATE: These 2 mods have shipped.

New Orders
=========

I am currently taking orders for more GlowFobs, and the 2nd production run of all Aviatrix products. The 2nd production run is approx. 2-3 weeks out - so if you order now just be aware of that delay. Placing an order now will reserve your place in line, first ordered = first shipped. If you'd like to place an order for either product, paypal to:

bawko AT hotmail DOT com

I am not yet accepting international orders for either product - but that will change in about 2 weeks when I have finished researching the best way to ship internationally and quickest way to do the customs declaration form.

Questions or Comments
=================

I can be reached at any time on the above email address... I check it at least twice a day, so you can expect a reply within 24 hours.

Thank you all for your incredible patience during the startup phase of these new products, please let me know if there is anything I can do to improve production scheduling, product improvement, or overall communication.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Aviatrix Products Production Announcements

Greetings!

Aviatrix Products Production Announcements/Updates
========================================

2007-05-15:
Three more Aviatrix mods finished and packaged for shipping. Total Aviatrix mods shipped to date: 14

2007-05-16:
Two more Aviatrix mods finished and packaged for shipping. Total Aviatrix mods shipped to date: 16

2007-05-17:
Extremely busy day - only 1 more Aviatrix finished and packaged for shipping.

2007-05-21:
Three more Aviatrix mods finished and packaged for shipping.

2007-05-22 through 2007-05-28:
CPF goes down. I'm down for the count with a bad cold/flu thing. Coincidence? I wonder...

2007-05-29:
Two more Aviatrix mods finished and packaged for shipping. Major update - See Post #22

2007-05-30:
Three more Aviatrix mods finishes, including the free one for the winner of the "Aviatrix" naming contest!
Only 3 more to go on the initial 25 pc. production run!

2007-05-31:
One more Aviatrix mod finished and packaged for shipping. My expectation for today was that I would finish the last 3 Avaitrix mods in the first production run, but other demands kept me from meeting this goal. An extremely busy day... but progress was made regardless. Only 2 to go!

2007-06-01 through 2007-06-04:
I'm out of town on these days, can only answer emails and post here.

2007-06-05:
Back in town, no new Aviatrix boards finished today.

2007-06-06:
Ran out of liquid solder flux midway through building an Aviatrix, I'll buy more tomorrow and finish the last two!

2007-06-07:
Purchased new container of liquid solder flux. Only had time to finish one of the last two Aviatrix mods... ONLY 1 MORE TO GO!!! :)

2007-06-11:
Last Aviatrix of the first production run was completed today! I finished soldering and testing it just before leaving the office, I'll have it packaged and ready to ship tomorrow!

2007-06-13:
Circuit boards and several parts (including processor chips) ordered for the 2nd production run, I'm trying to get everything in-hands for Mon. or Tues. production startup.

2007-06-15:
Spent most of the time today dealing with an unexpected error in the circuit-board Gerber files sent to the PcBoard fabricator - found the problem, re-sent the files.

2007-06-21:
First batch of parts, including processors and SMT diodes arrived today.
Checked with PCBoard manufacturer - Aviatrix circuit boards should be finished tomorrow (Friday) or Monday at the latest.

2007-06-27:
All new PCBoards and parts in-hand. Please read this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168135

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
GlowFob Products Production Announcements

Greetings!

GlowFob Products Production Announcements/Updates
=========================================

2007-05-15:
Received new 2-flute endmill, test-cuts are correctly radiused, and surface finish is acceptably clean and galling-free. Will post photos of new Keychain flats radiusing tomorrow... all of you who ordered GlowFobs will be pleased - it gets rid of the last 2 "right angle" cuts (where the keychain flats meet the round "glowy" part) on the fob, making it melty-smooth!

2007-05-16:
As promised, here are are photos comparing the new style GlowFob keychain flats to the old style. Sorry about the poor image quality - I took the photo of the new fobs with my PDA camera:

NewFobs.jpg
GlowFob2TN.jpg

The new style (done with the new 2-flute endmill I ordered) is on the left, the old style (done with cross-milling) is on the right. The new style is smoother, less likely to hang up on your pocket, etc. - and just looks better (in my opinion). If anyone still wants the old-style, I can still machine that for them... let me know if you prefer it for some reason. At this point, I'm ready to proceed full-speed with finishing up all pending orders - sorry about the delay... I'm just trying to make all the products I sell the best possible before shipping a bunch.

2007-05-21:
Set up milling machine for final flat milling run, started milling. About half the fobs have half the flats milled. Should have machining on all current orders finished by Wed. (2007-05-23) of this week.

2007-05-22 through 2007-05-28:
CPF goes down. I'm down for the count with a bad cold/flu thing. Coincidence? I wonder...

2007-05-30:
Major Update - see Post #22.

2007-05-31:
Finished milling keyring flats on several more GlowFobs... but didn't finish them with the final keyring hole and beveling due to other demands... Every bit of progress counts, though!
Shipping of the first run of Glowfobs just another day or two away... almost there!

2007-06-01 through 2007-06-04:
I'm out of town on these days, can only answer emails and post here.

2007-06-05:
Back in town. Much progress made with GlowFob machining - Several finished, ready to ship tomorrow.

2007-06-06:
Three GlowFob orders finishes, packaged, and ready to ship tomorrow.
Minor glitch with keyring drill hole being off-axis, jig has been corrected.

2007-06-07:
Finished 5 more GlowFobs... including the first "For Tritium" model which has slighly different drilling.

2007-06-11:
Finished 4 more GlowFobs - including 3 for Mr. Pokerstud. Packaged and ready for shipping tomorrow.

2007-06-13:
Finished and packaged for shipping 3 more GlowFobs.

2007-06-15:
Finished, packaged, and shipped 4 more GlowFobs.

2007-06-18:
Finished, packaged, and shipped 6 more GlowFobs.

2007-06-20:
Finished, packaged, and shipped 2 more GlowFobs.

2007-06-21:
Finished and packaged for shipping 4 more GlowFobs.

2007-06-27:
Please read this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168135

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Aviatrix and GlowFob Production Schedule

Thanks for the update, Bawko! :thumbsup:

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the update! I don't know how you find time for all this, I can barely walk the dog and take out the garbage in one day!

I just wanted to double check that you got my Aviatrix order and PP last week, and if it would be okay if I put in another order sometime this week? I made sure to give my CPF name as well.

One more question- will you be offering, or does anyone know where I can get, spare screws for the A2, just in case one gets lost? I had a similar incident with a knife last year.

Thanks!

Katdaddy

Enlightened

"Thank you all for your incredible patience during the startup phase of these new products, please let me know if there is anything I can do to improve production scheduling, product improvement, or overall communication."

Let's see.... You conceived this product and began shipping in under 2 months and you feel the need to thank us for our patience.:wow:

INCREDIBLE!!

CDI

Newly Enlightened

How do I order for the next batch? Just post here?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

Kraeken said:
Thanks for the update! I don't know how you find time for all this...I just wanted to double check that you got my Aviatrix order and PP last week, and if it would be okay if I put in another order sometime this week? I made sure to give my CPF name as well.
Yes... I received your Paypal on 2007-05-05. Didn't you receive the "Thank you for your order" email that I send to everyone that orders? If not, don't be too surprised - I was having some internet problems last week with my provider (Comcast Cable) and had a few "glitches" posting on this forum, receiving returned emails, etc. Just know that I did receive your order.

Kraeken said:
One more question- will you be offering, or does anyone know where I can get, spare screws for the A2, just in case one gets lost? I had a similar incident with a knife last year.
Yes... I have a few spare A2 screws, but I don't want to sell them unless it's an emergency - so try not to lose yours! :)

CDI said:
How do I order for the next batch? Just post here?
I'm currently taking orders for the next production run, if you are willing to wait 2-3 weeks for shipment. This will insure your place in line - kind of a "pre-order" but with less of a wait than the usual around here.

If you'd like to order an Aviatrix from the next production run, just paypal payment to:

bawko AT hotmail DOT com

No need to post anywhere - that was just to reserve a spot in the first 25-unit pilot production run.

Katdaddy said:
Let's see.... You conceived this product and began shipping in under 2 months and you feel the need to thank us for our patience.
INCREDIBLE!!
Hey... I'm trying to maintain my own standards, not necessarily the standards you might have grown used to from other people! Thanks, though. :)

BTW, have you received your Aviatrix yet Katdaddy? I know it's been shipped...

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I will try not to lose my screws...

Last summer I was out on my deck. I had a Strider RC in several pieces for cleaning, and my dog jumped up and scattered the hardware. I lost two screws, but thankfully Strider was cool and sent me replacements. I have learned my lesson.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Update: Added announcement on Aviatrix production status section (Post #2) of this thread.
Update: Added announcement on GlowFob production status section (Post #3) of this thread.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Oh Great Feathered One,

Please see my post in other thread. (I am unaware of how to post a link). Sorry. I will be ordering more.

Phredd

Enlightened
Bawko,

I just read the update and the new fobs look great. If you haven't already made mine, can you make one of mine 1/4"? I'm willing to take my chances with the thin walls. Considering that I'm carrying a thinner, soft plastic covered vial now, this will be a 10x improvement. Otherwise, the 3/8" will be fine, too.

Thanks,
Phredd

Pokerstud

Enlightened
AC,

I just want to make sure I understand...you haven't shipped any of the fobs as of yet, correct? Trying to read all the different threads / posts. Just wanted to make sure the 3 ultra green V10 fobs I ordered didn't get lost in the shuffle. I do like the new milling. :twothumbs

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Pokerstud said:
AC,

I just want to make sure I understand...you haven't shipped any of the fobs as of yet, correct? Trying to read all the different threads / posts. Just wanted to make sure the 3 ultra green V10 fobs I ordered didn't get lost in the shuffle. I do like the new milling. :twothumbs

Actually, I have shipped a few of the old-style fobs, to one person (not a CPF forum member... he emailed in one of the first 2 or 3 orders...). After I grew more and more dissatisfied with the old-style keychain flats, I sent him an email asking if he wanted me to update/replace them with the new style, and he told me he was OK with the old version. I have also shipped 2 of the new-style fobs yesterday (shortly after taking the photo of them!) to a CPF member who had combined an Aviatrix and GlowFob order and wanted them shipped together.

Your order wan't lost... if you didn't get the "thanks for your order" email I send to everyone, don't be too surprised - I've had a few problems with my net connection in the last few weeks... which ended up with Comcast replacing my cable modem 2 days ago.

I'm glad you like the new milling - I think it looks 100% better!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Lips said:
Hello Chicken!

Checking to see if the first 25 Aviatrix have shipped.

Thanks

I saw the other post just then :)

Getting close... should only be a few more days at most. You are #5 on the next production run, so once I finish the first 25 yours will be in the first batch out the door.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Lips said:
Are you sure...

I got in on the 1st day, one of the 1st ones...

I also have a blood-hound version comming too...

Sorry... it was the blood-hound version that is #5 on the 2nd production run that confused me when I looked up your order. Your order for the first one (#19 of the first production run) has already been completed, packaged, and will be shipped out with the next batch of Aviatrix mods tomorrow (Tues. 2007-05-22). Sorry for the confusion.

Best wishes,
Bawko