D mag incan beamshots?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, i have never owned a maglite and would never own one because it woule not "FIT" my needs.. however i would like to see beamshots + distance shots of like 2,3,4,5,6 D cell maglites so i can compare them to lights i own.

Any links i can see beamshots like this?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
My reasoning for not using a mag is that a) they are too big b) and that they have more reach but not as much light to see at those distancies

As i understand it they have a far reaching pnetrating beam, although are not as "bright" as other lights?

Any which way, i prefer a Surefire G2 or Fenix P2D CE

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that their pnetrating beam is becouse of the relative big reflector(compared with a fenix or a surefire 6P)

please correct me if something is wrong:)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i am greeted with comments like "Led's cant throw" and "Whats the point of having an LED light when its brighter than everything else but does not go further than 2 feet before it disipates into nothing!"

So i have been checking specs of led and 1 of the mag D cell, and it seems my fenix is more bright than a maglite but does not have the throw. Same as it seems that my fenix P2D CE is brighter than my surefire G2, but does not "quite" have the same throw..

So you think that if all these led's had a good reflector they would get a "marked" improvement in throw stats?

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
excuse me I have forgotten something....

I think so becouse if you put a LED upgrade in a mag you will have almost the same throw of the incandescent....

another way to improve the throw is using an aspherical lens without the reflecrtor....but this light will become a LASER and not a flashlight...:)

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
techwg said:
.. however i would like to see beamshots + distance shots of like 2,3,4,5,6 D cell maglites so i can compare them to lights i own.
I don't like stock incandescent Maglites because of the dismal beam quality. See this for a couple of beamshots.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
techwg said:
Hi, i have never owned a maglite and would never own one because it woule not "FIT" my needs.. however i would like to see beamshots + distance shots of like 2,3,4,5,6 D cell maglites so i can compare them to lights i own.

Well I have SF-L2, Fenix L1P, L2P, P1D-CE & Jetbeam clone and can say 100% for certain that LED lights are like comparing a capgun to a real gun. You are really lucky if you can find an LED that puts out more than 150-200 Lumens.

I migrated to Maglites back when I was debating getting a SF M6, but there was not a viable rechargeable option. I never looked back. LED's are nice for indoor use and long run times, but just do not have the throw or lumen output. (Mac's custom Aspherical lens Mag using LED is an exception).

I have a 1D & 1.5D size Maglites that puts out about 1,000 Bulb Lumens & 1500 L on 4 rechargeable Lithium cells respectively. I have my choice of reflector surfaces to give a sharp hotspot, or a diffused flood. There are other reflectors that give extraordinary throw and remove any beam artifacts.

I don't think many of us will bother going and finding beamshots with the tone of your posts, so you may want to bring some honey when you are asking for information/help. Suffice it to say that your understanding of Maglites is completely off base.

Using GeorgePaul's link to a stock Maglite is not what ANY of us use when we are talking about our Maglites. I'll make my point by giving this very limited link of a couple of popular Maglite mods with images here.

lukestephens777

Enlightened
I have a couple of maglites and the beam quality is very dismal...

You should check out the Lumapower MRV over in the dealers corner..
Uses a Cree led driven at 1amp and apparently has unbelieveable throw!!

I might have to get one... :)

Brozneo

Enlightened
My Mag w/ Malkoff LED drop-in driven at 1A has tremendous throw! Mag's CAN be good, but the stock standard Mags definately arent!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
None of us who promote the Maglites are talking about stock Maglites which are crap bulbs, plastic reflectors, and worthless performance. It is only a host for all the easy replacements we do....and that once done blows ANY LED EVER MADE totally out of the water....as a capgun analogy....when it comes to throw and overall lumen output....and while LED's can be put into Maglites, their comparison next to the hotwire incandescent bulbs isn't even on the same scale of brightness.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
look here,
you can find some some led lights beamshots and seems that they throw pretty good....:)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, well i can tell you that LED throw is always improving, and statistically when you look on the flashlight review site, that my fenix P2D CE is not far from throw of a SureFire G2, + the brightness blows a G2 out of the water. So my theory / question is will better reflectors = better throw and equal like G2.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
techwg said:
wow, well i can tell you that LED throw is always improving, and statistically when you look on the flashlight review site, that my fenix P2D CE is not far from throw of a SureFire G2, + the brightness blows a G2 out of the water. So my theory / question is will better reflectors = better throw and equal like G2.

No doubt that LED's are making progress...but saying a P2D CE is not far from a G2 which puts out 65 lumens is like saying my acme capgun toy blows away your Sears capgun toy. None of those are remotely on the scale of Maglite Mod "Real Guns" like we talk about in this forum. People jump up and down and spit nickels when their latest LED revolution goes from 50L to 150L.

With our Maglite mods, we are moderately impressed if someone finds a 700L ==> 1,000L improvement with a new bulb/battery combo. The better Maglite mods are closer to 1500 L. That's 20 times your G2. LOL!

Then there are the deep and wide reflectors, and all their textures. There are no LED's that are even on the scale of these Maglite mods. You just don't know what we are using I guess.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes but maglites are large compared to other led lights.. for example my Middle finger is longer than this p2d ce. . . . that impressed me especially for brightness. im looking for a hidden edc, not a cumbersome item needing a sling.. :D

I have a pouch that can "just" accomodate a G2, so since the P3D is smaller a little and its way thinner, it will be the perfect thing to replace my G2 i think since turbo has similar throw with Oddles of output .

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well, yeah...I'll concede that point. My 1-D or 1.5D Maglites are larger than my Fenix P1D-CE....so if you are now adding a requirement that a light can only be 3-4 inches vs. my short Mags that are 6-7 inches....that is a whole other matter that you didn't start the discussion with.

My short 1D/1.5D Maglites fit in my pockets of a jacket, or sweatpants/sweatshirt which is good enough for me when outside walking/hiking. They put out between 600L and 1500L depending on the model. When I'm doing things inside, I use my capgun LED's.

My main point is that people who only have LED's apparently do not realize what real lumen output and throw is available, or they wouldn't make claims like they do about LED's being brighter/better throwing than these Maglite incandescent mods.

There are places for both types of lights, and I like my LED's too....but how your first posts started out told me that you (like many LED enthusiasts) just really have no idea about these Maglite mods. And I have not even gotten into the "Deathblaster" "MaxBlaster" or "The Torch" Mag Mods.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get the impression the original poster thinks of stock Mags...

please, whoever prefers a 6P :thinking: over a good led because of being brighter than a similar sized, longer running light (led): give me pics!

I have made these two pics here:
L1D-CE on high: left, at front tyre
very cheapo 28 Led cluster at rear tyre (nearly not to see)
2D mag high focus: up (w. fresh Ni-Mhs)
middle: 6P modded with an 18650, cree, flupic 850 mA
which eats all the other lights and runs for nearly 2.5 hours on this output

anfwze53b5281js6s.jpg

or some other lights including 10 W HID and 9N and a 12 V/20W IRC lamp (brightest one of batch, but 24 degrees and the yellow incan output seem dim)

amllrpqr338m5hvg4.jpg

maybe I do some pics with more distance to the wall in future ...

PS. when talking of modded lights and comparing them to stock Led-lights, not the led lovers compare apples and oranges. Think of multiemitter-lights that draw the current of Your lights. One would not even notice the incans are on ... ;)

Last edited: