ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 238

Thread: LumaPower MRV - 100 & 200 m Beamshots & Runtimes! MRV Deconstructed. Now FluPic'd!

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default LumaPower MRV - Beamshots & Runtimes! UPDATED!

    At last "IT" arrived in the mail.

    A group photo. From the left: LumaPower D-Mini, Dereelight CL1H with 6-mode dropin, Eastward YJ U2 style and last the MRV.


    Same order as above. The business ends.


    To switch levels turn the plated light engine in relation to the body. Clockwise to go to high from low, and counterclockwise to go from high to low. Don't tighten it too much clockwise, that could loosen the switch mechanism. A soft click indicates the switch between levels.





    The extreme reflector with GITD o-ring between bezel and lens.



    Tailcap with aggressive cutouts. Very nice to use and easy to click.



    Two shots to show the different textures, HA vs plating.





    Tailcap with reverse onestage clickie installed. Note the treated threads on the battery tube.



    Light engine and head taken off.



    Head with light engine taken off as a unit from the battery tube.Also shown is GID switch cover, spare o-rings and the momentary push switch (screw on for constant light).



    LumaPower D-Mini on the left, MRV on the right. @ 2 meters. Both on one 3.7 volt LiIon. F/2.8, 1/200 s, ISO 100. Waaaay underexposed and taken in daylight. Better shots will come later, from various sources no doubt.



    The GITD o-ring in the bezel.



    This is how the underside of the light engine looks like when you screw out the plastic retainer for the mode switch. Under the plastic cover there is a switch with a resistor on the board. On the switch there is a small spring with a brass contact resting on it, the same brass contact you see when you disassemble the light engine from the battery tube. That makes contact with the brass contact screwed down into the battery tube. When you tighten the tube clockwise against the light engine assembly it puts pressure on the switch and when it clicks it bypasses the resistor for high mode.





    This light is like no other. I think you need to hold it to understand that. It will momentary blind you if you look into the lens and CLOSE YOUR EYES before you turn it on. The plated light engine looks very nice in real life, it's not mirror shiny. More like machined and semi polished stainless steel. HA is a sort of gray green that is very handsome on this light.

    Throw Lux @ one meter:
    · 18650 x 1 on high: 10100 Lux
    · 18650 x 1 on low: 5700 Lux
    · RCR123 x 2 on high: 11500 Lux
    · RCR123 x 2 on low: 5900 Lux
    (In the table presented by LumaPower Lux @ one meter are:
    18650 x 1 on high: 16900 Lux
    RCR123 x 2 on high: 20100 Lux

    I not totally clear on whether LumPower is stating throw Lux or total output. 16900-20100 Lux in throw seems outrageous @ 1 A even considering the larger reflector. My guess is that these figures reflect total output, especially since the MRV have a large and bright spill area which is much brighter than the D-Mini.
    As a comparison, my D-Mini with an Cree Q2 dropin led engine driven at ~1.3 A produces 12600 Lux in throw.)
    LumaPower have announced that the throw Lux figures published earlier are from Engineering Samples with a much tighter hotspot and less spill light than current versions. The current version of the reflector is in the light reviewed here. The new reflector have more useful spill light and throw numbers are in the range of 10000 Lux and up depending on cell/s used.



    My conclusion
    This is a magnificent flashlight. Very nice. Very high quality in my opinion. Construction is very well done and the light is rugged, it feels massive in the hand. It's possible to disassemble it completely, save for the light engine internals, and all parts fit together snug and tight. No loose threads or other inconsistencies in construction. It's very bright with excellent throw capability, and at the same time it produces a bright and large spill area.
    I'm very picky with my equipment, but I can really recommend this light to anyone who wants a good flashlight in this size and class.
    The only two weak points would be the mode switching assembly under the light engine, part plastic and a delicate switch, and the GITD o-ring between the bezel and the lens. The o-ring should be kept in place by a ridge in the bezel to stay in place securely when the bezel is tightened down. It takes a fair bit of abuse to compromise the GITD o-ring, you have to overtighten the bezel quite a lot to get the o-ring to pop out. The mode switching assembly also needs to be abused to stop function as intended, if you overtighten the battery tube hard, clockwise, against the light engine one of the switch retaining parts can come loose. What happens is that the low mode disappears until you take the battery tube off and tighten the relevant part down again. The light still functions, only the mode switching is affected. But, you need to abuse the light quite a bit for this to happen.



    Now some real life beamshots.
    All nightshots are taken with an 8 second exposure time. Also note that the sky doesn't go totally dark this time of year in Sweden. The 8 second exposure time is very close to what I saw with my bare eyes when I did this. I took my likely throw candidates, the spotlight was just for fun, but I found that it had its place in this.

    From the left: D-Mini on RCR123 LiIon, MRV on 18650 LiIon, 5 D Mag with Mag halogen bulb on alkaline, "2 Million CP" Spotlight 6 Volt.


    Throw Lux: D-Mini 7800 Lux. MRV 10150 Lux. 5 D mag 14000 Lux. Spotlight 33000 Lux.


    The first setting.
    The end of the road is 100 meters away. Composite picture first, then the individual shots.
















    The second setting.
    The treeline is 200 meters away. Composite picture first, then the individual shots.













    MRV bonus image, probably a bit over 100 meters. Very nice.



    About the distances involved in this, they are known. Both by official map and by measurement. Here is a nice sat/air shot of the area.



    Two shots just to show how "perfect" the MRV hotspot is. Why use white walls for hunting when there are rune stones standing around. Second shot shows the corona around the hotspot. There are no rings that I can see in the MRV beam.

    MRV. 1 m. F/5,6 1/50 s.


    MRV 1 m. F/2,8 1/30 s.


    Inscription on the stone, literally: Inga had this stone inscribed for Aslak her Stepson. Age on the stone is +1000 years.


    Runtimes on RCR123, 18650 LiIon & CR123A

    Runtime with RCR123 on the high setting. 25 minutes of 100%, then it shuts off. If you let the cell rest for a few minutes it will come on again for a minute or so. Expect much better runtime with primaries since they hold much more mAh than RCR.



    RCR123 on low. 2 hours and 20 minutes.



    Runtime with AW 18650 LiIon 2200 mAh. 3 hours and 15 minutes to 50%. Usable light up to 4 hours and thirty minutes. Expect low to have at least 12-15 hours runtime, I'll do that one when and if I have time for it.



    This is the result from Energizer CR123A primary cells. MRV on high. about 53 minutes to 50%.



    I went one step further with this review. I disassembled the light engine to get the driver pcb out from my MRV. Before I disassemled it I desoldered the positive lead from the led in order to get milliAmpere readings to the led. They are as follow, with the stock driver circuit and fresh cells:

    On AW 18650 LiIon:
    - Low 410 mA
    - High 830 mA

    On two RCR123 LiIon:
    - Low 410 mA
    - High 1190 mA

    On two CR123 primary cells:
    - Low 410 mA
    - High 1190 mA

    The space in the driver compartment is: 7.2 mm in height. The driver pcb is 17 mm in diameter. Including the brass contact ring the pcb is 18.85 mm in diameter to fit the depression in the light engine.
    A magnified picture of the stock driver.



    The backside of the stock driver. This miniature click switch is what changes the mode when you turn the body, it’s what makes the soft click when you turn the battery tube to go low or high.



    This is a picture of the led mounted in the light engine heatsink. It’s glued to the heatsink with some spongy thermal epoxy, it’s a very thin layer of it under the mini star that holds the Cree emitter.



    See post #120 for modification with new AMC7135 driver.

    See post #133 for modification with FluPic.

    See post #169 for CREE X RE Q5 WG bin installation.

    Stefan

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Update 2007-08-23

    I have received another MRV, this is the new version with dark brown hard anodized finish and dark chrome on the light engine heatsink.
    Fit, finish and build quality are very good, better than the previous version. Flawless anodizing, better threads, stiffer spring in the midbody switch mechanism. The glow in the dark lens o-ring is held in place more securely than on the first version. Output is up a bit from the first version, likely due to the CREE Q2 used in this version. Driver seems to be the same model that is used in the first version MRV.




    Finish is very good. Here beside the first version.




    Anodized and deeper threads on the new version.




    Output is slightly higher on 18650. Definitely higher on CR123 and RCR123.

    Old version. Throw Lux @ one meter:
    · 18650 x 1 on high: 10 100 Lux
    · 18650 x 1 on low: 5700 Lux
    · RCR123 x 2 on high: 11 500 Lux
    · RCR123 x 2 on low: 5900 Lux
    New version. Throw Lux @ one meter:
    · 18650 x 1 on high: 11 300 Lux
    · 18650 x 1 on low: 7200 Lux
    · RCR123 x 2 on high: 14 350 Lux
    · RCR123 x 2 on low: 7100 Lux
    · CR123A x 2 on high: 14 400
    · CR123A x 2 on low: 7100 Lux
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Further beamshots with the MRV will be in a new thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...57#post2105757

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by StefanFS; 10-10-2007 at 12:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Escondido, CA, US
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Nice shots. I look forward to your further impressions. I just ordered one of these this morning. Kind of an impulse thing.

    P.S. Am I the only one that thinks "LPower Uma" when I see their logo?

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Thujone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,688

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Thanks for your review, the wait is beginning to actually hurt..


  4. #4
    Flashaholic* MarNav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,182

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Double O-rings too, do the parts go on and off easily? Also is a two stage switch
    availible?

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* Thujone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,688

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1
    Double O-rings too, do the parts go on and off easily? Also is a two stage switch
    availible?
    The light is two stage. Built in.


  6. #6
    Flashaholic* EngrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    3,679

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    I like what they've done with the beam, compared to the D-mini nebula.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Manzerick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,794

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    LPower UMA here too!!


    Thank Youf or the review! Very promising!

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* Strauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    1,301

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Interesting lux figures...I do believe Lumapower was measuring lux at one meter in their figures as well It will be interesting to see more independent results!

    I usually get lower lux reading than most others do as well, but overall output readings are pretty accurate on my part. I wonder if it's in the way the meter is set-up for lux. I put my meter at one end of a cloth-covered ironing board, and the flashlight one meter away on the other side. Whats your set-up?
    EDC: Ra Clicky 100WWCn/ Muyshondt Aeon
    Other Favorites: Surefire LX2/Eagletac M2XC4/ DBS V2 1S-R2, MC-E

  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* selfbuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS
    [*]18650 x 1 on high: 10100 Lux
    [*]18650 x 1 on low: 5700 Lux
    [*]RCR123 x 2 on high: 11500 Lux
    [*]RCR123 x 2 on low: 5900 Lux

    In the table presented by LumaPower Lux @ one meter are:
    18650 x 1 on high: 16900 Lux
    RCR123 x 2 on high: 20100 Lux
    Great preliminary review StefanFS, I'm anxiously awaiting mine from Matt.

    To give us D-mini holders some perspective, do you have lux readings for your D-mini to compare these results to?
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by Strauss
    Interesting lux figures...I do believe Lumapower was measuring lux at one meter in their figures as well It will be interesting to see more independent results!

    I usually get lower lux reading than most others do as well, but overall output readings are pretty accurate on my part. I wonder if it's in the way the meter is set-up for lux. I put my meter at one end of a cloth-covered ironing board, and the flashlight one meter away on the other side. Whats your set-up?
    Could be a communication error in the sales thread. Or my MRV is a bit off.
    I do Lux @ one metre in our dark closet, the lux meter is on piece of cloth and I'm using a one metre stick to get the height right. There's nothing wrong with my meter, it checks out on my other lights. With my bare eyes the MRV does have a bit more than double the throw when compared to my D-Mini. Maybe my Lux meter freaks out, but it's rated to go up to 50 000 Lux.
    Stefan

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt
    Great preliminary review StefanFS, I'm anxiously awaiting mine from Matt.

    To give us D-mini holders some perspective, do you have lux readings for your D-mini to compare these results to?
    My D-Mini on high with the stock driver, throw Lux: 7400-7800 Lux depending on what condition the LiIon is in, it seems to fluctuate, even with the same cell between charges. If you really work on finding the perfect focus point the D-Mini can go up to 8000 Lux.

  12. #12
    *Flashaholic* selfbuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,936

    Sigh Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS
    My D-Mini on high with the stock driver, throw Lux: 7400-7800 Lux depending on what condition the LiIon is in ...
    Hmm, seems pretty consistent with what Lumapower themselves report for the D-mini, so it seems like your lux meters are similarly standardized. I guess we'll have to wait for a few more specimens to get out there ...

    Thx for prompt reply StefanFS ... enjoy the light (and the thread count hits).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  13. #13
    Enlightened moski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stockholm - Sweden
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Great review StefanFS.

    Strange thing about the lux readings?

    StefanFS said:
    Or my MRV is a bit off.
    Since i got my MRV today as well,
    im just curious where in Svealand you live?
    If you would like to measure mine.
    But im not so keen on sending it by post .
    (i just got it)
    I live in Haninge.

  14. #14

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    The most useful and revealing beamshots will be those comparing the MRV with other "throwers", taken outdoors using buildings, trees and other objects at known or approximated distances.

    Brightnorm

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Removed!
    Last edited by StefanFS; 05-14-2007 at 04:29 PM.

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* Thujone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,688

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    OK.. Glow ring in bezel looks great.. Did it come that way or that a ring you added?


  17. #17
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm
    The most useful and revealing beamshots will be those comparing the MRV with other "throwers", taken outdoors using buildings, trees and other objects at known or approximated distances.

    Brightnorm
    That's definitely in my immediate plans for this magnificent flashlight.

    Thujone, the GITD o-ring was installed when it arrived. Don't twist down the bezel too tight, it will bungle up the o-ring.

    About the output. 20000 Lux as LumaPower states with 2 x RCR123 would be somewhere in the neigborhood of 240 Lumen, which is the stated maximum output from an CREE X-RE, according to CREE themselves in their specification. OK, thats total output at the led, but I think it may be that the figures 16900-20100 Lux are derived from the max output in the CREE specifications. I feel that it's not realistic to expect 20000 Lux in throw from an Cree X-RE led driven at 1 Ampere.

    My MRV throws a bit over 10000 Lux, and total output should be a little bit more than that. My guess is that the MRV's total output out the lens is over 150-160 Lumen (factor in losses in the reflector and the lens and you might be a lot closer to 200 Lumen). Which is incredibly bright. My MRV is visibly brighter than my Eastward YJ U2 style, and that one produces over 130 Lumen out the lens.
    Stefan
    Last edited by StefanFS; 05-14-2007 at 02:16 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    waterproof? and i guess i can assume this is a SPOT light and not much flood? also, your cree dropin throws further than this according to lux numbers?
    Last edited by cheapo; 05-14-2007 at 02:26 PM.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapo
    waterproof? and i guess i can assume this is a SPOT light and not much flood?
    It has about the same flood area as the Eastward YJ U2 and almost as large as the Ultrafire C2. It has a BIG reflector. Real big flood with this one.

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* Daekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    It has a powerful spot with a generous spill as I understand it - not quite the same as flood. I believe spill is usually defined as the secondary cone of light that comes a flashlight, which is a separate entity from the focused beam itself...

    Please correct if I'm mistaken!

  21. #21

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    i have the 6-mode dropin and i am contemplating getting this depending on its throw numbers comparatively.

  22. #22

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS
    Throw Lux @ one meter:
    • 18650 x 1 on high: 10100 Lux
    • 18650 x 1 on low: 5700 Lux
    • RCR123 x 2 on high: 11500 Lux
    • RCR123 x 2 on low: 5900 Lux
    In the table presented by LumaPower Lux @ one meter are:
    18650 x 1 on high: 16900 Lux
    RCR123 x 2 on high: 20100 Lux

    I not totally clear on whether LumPower is stating throw Lux or total output. 16900-20100 Lux in throw seems outrageous @ 1 A even considering the larger reflector. My guess is that these figures reflect
    total output, especially since the MRV have a large and bright spill area which is much brighter than the D-Mini.

    As a comparison, my D-Mini with an Cree Q2 dropin led engine driven at ~1.3 A produces 12600 Lux in throw.
    I think I would rather get the D-Mini with an Cree Q2 dropin led engine driven at ~1.3. Where can I get the Cree Q2 dropin led engine driven at ~1.3?

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida, US / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    539

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Stefan: Thanks for this review and pics, looks great!
    I'm really looking forward to getting my MRV, it is my candidate to be my new default outdoors light.

    Luigi
    Visit my EDCreviews weblog.

  24. #24
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar
    It has a powerful spot with a generous spill as I understand it - not quite the same as flood. I believe spill is usually defined as the secondary cone of light that comes a flashlight, which is a separate entity from the focused beam itself...

    Please correct if I'm mistaken!
    I believe you're quite right. You could say that the MRV has a generous spill beam to avoid any misunderstandings.

    This is where I got the 6 mode dropin modules. They use PWM on low and medium (less than 100Hz) and the same UI as the Jetbeam C-LE.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=161471
    It does run hot on high, fast. I'm working on a secondary heatsink of some sort before I use this in my D-Mini permanently.

  25. #25

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    the 6-mode led dropin fits the d-mini! wow.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* cryhavok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Those lux readings are kind of disappointing...but I'm glad you reported them.

    For comparison, I have a Aleph 3/1xrcr123/NG1000/XR-E P4 and I just measured 13,700 lux@1 meter and 1.2a draw from the battery. Perhaps the McR reflector/coated lens are more efficient? How big is the reflector of this light?

    This is making me appreciate my Aleph 3 more...the throw is quite astonishing from such a small light! I can't even imagine what this light would do with a smooth reflector
    Last edited by cryhavok; 05-14-2007 at 03:56 PM.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* StefanFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Silicon Road 1, Sweden
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by cryhavok
    Those lux readings are kind of disappointing...but I'm glad you reported them.

    For comparison, I have a Aleph 3/1xrcr123/NG1000/XR-E P4 and I just measured 13,700 lux@1 meter and 1.2a draw from the battery. Perhaps the McR reflector/coated lens are more efficient? How big is the reflector of this light?

    This is making me appreciate my Aleph 3 more...the throw is quite astonishing from such a small light! I can't even imagine what this light would do with a smooth reflector
    From LumaPowers sales thread:
    "Overall length : 160mm
    Head diameter : 45mm
    Engine diameter : 28.5mm
    Battery tube diameter : 25.5mm
    Tailswitch diameter : 29mm
    Reflector diameter : 42mm"

    There could be something wrong with my specimen. But I don't think so. When I compare the MRV with the D-Mini it's apparent that it throws at least double the distance. Not everything is throw Lux, the reflector in the MRV is a piece of art. It collimates the light into a precise spot that is consistent over distance much better than that of the D-Mini. I'd be willing to wager a considerable amount of money that the MRV throws well past 200 meters under really dark conditions. I'm in the city now so I don't dare to start shining lights all over the place, but I did try it just now (it's midnight here now) at a distance of maybe 150 m out in a park with streetlights in it. And the result is that I can see the MRV spot where the D-Mini doesn't even reach. I'll do some distance shots when I go out to the countryside.
    Stefan

  28. #28

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS
    From LumaPowers sales thread:
    "Overall length : 160mm
    Head diameter : 45mm
    Engine diameter : 28.5mm
    Battery tube diameter : 25.5mm
    Tailswitch diameter : 29mm
    Reflector diameter : 42mm"

    There could be something wrong with my specimen. But I don't think so. When I compare the MRV with the D-Mini it's apparent that it throws at least double the distance. Not everything is throw Lux, the reflector in the MRV is a piece of art. It collimates the light into a precise spot that is consistent over distance much better than that of the D-Mini. I'd be willing to wager a considerable amount of money that the MRV throws well past 200 meters under really dark conditions. I'm in the city now so I don't dare to start shining lights all over the place, but I did try it just now (it's midnight here now) at a distance of maybe 150 m out in a park with streetlights in it. And the result is that I can see the MRV spot where the D-Mini doesn't even reach. I'll do some distance shots when I go out to the countryside.
    Stefan
    Could you please measure the lux at one meter with fresh batteries again? Also, could you please remeasure the Mini on the same setup? I have no reason to doubt your first measurement. I am surprised at the difference between the your measurement and the LumaPower measurement. I am also surprised that the Mini measured higher than the MRV. I understand if it's too much trouble.

    Thanks for taking time to do this great review.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* AlexGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    3,649

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    I'm also wondering how did you fit the module to the D-mini, Maybe It could be done to the M1

    AlexGT

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* whc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: LumaPower MRV - Something Else Entirely!

    Nice review, good pictures, looks awesome.

    A runtime test in high mode with 18650 would be very nice ...

    How is the Cree ring with the smooth reflector???
    Eagletac G25C2 MKII | Nitecore SRT3 | Nitecore SRT7 | Nitecore TM26 | SkyRay King |

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •