A Big "THANK YOU" To Peter And Merri Gransee And My Mini Review Of The ARC-SLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Big "THANK YOU" To Peter And Merri Gransee And My Mini Review Of The ARC-SLS!

I had wavered back and forth on getting an ARC-LS for a good while mainly because I already had a E1/KL1 combo. I finally went for one earlier this week. I just HAD to know if these were as small and bright as everyone has stated. I ordered one of the "factory second" LS1 hybrids offered for $60.00 on Peter's site, before they were all gone. I also ordered one of the "second" TSP-123, ("clickie"), packs with it.

First of all, I ordered the LS1 hybrid through the ARC site on Saturday and ordered the TSP-123 pack on Sunday. I e-mailed them back on Sunday and asked that they be shipped together to save the additional $8.00 shipping. Merri Gransee got right back to me Monday morning to let me know they WOULD be shipped together and I would only be charged the single, ($8.00), shipping. Great service!

I received the package today, (Friday), and no big deal because I know everything is really slow now, especially less than two weeks before Christmas. Here's the kicker though. In the package was the LS1 hybrid, the TSP-123 "clickie" pack AND A 2 AA PACK at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! Even though a letter accompanied my order stating that the 2 AA pack was included at no charge, it WAS NOT GUARANTEED due to the fact it may have problems with insufficent thread. It looks good to me and what a pleasant surprise!

These LS1 seconds are the upgraded, (hybrids), with the new current regulated cicuit and the raised gold contact that Sean's great photos on his site shows, (thanks Sean for a great site!). These are also the "old" style that have the shorter, thicker and more rounded bodies. I was really glad because to me these older, shorter and thicker bodies just look better to me. These twist end pack LS1's really are a much smaller package than the SF E1/KL1 combo.

First off, I popped a 123 cell into the LS. Nice beam but seems very blue. Got out my E1/KL1 combo to compare it to. No bluer than the KL1! The E1/KL1 combo is about 10% brighter though but again, just as blue. Not bad for a package around 20% smaller than the E1/KL1!

Next I attached the TSP-123 "clickie" pack. This adds about 10% more length but is STILL about 10% SMALLER than the E1/KL1 combo. That's saying something! The clickie pack works wonderfully, (to me), and offers about the same resistance in the "momentary" position as the SF E1/KL1. The constant-on or "click" mode takes a firm push but feels nice and crisp.

If you're looking for the perfect finish and completely color-matched components, forget these and go for a "first". The anodizing on these are off and in the case of the LS1 I received, some of the knurled upper body isn't even anodized at all! No matter to me because I like the "already broken in" finish and especially at this price!

Final thoughts; If you want the brightest, smallest and the most rugged LED light around and don't mind a mismatched appearance, (it's not THAT bad!), get one while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.