Purchasing Some Lights...

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a P2D for my brother for his B-day and i'm contemplating whether or not I should get a L1D or a P2D for my father. I'm thinking the L1D just because of the AA use instead of the costly CR123a's for people that don't know where to shop for them.

Any pros/cons people can put out for them? I searched many a thread with peoples likes/dislikes and would like some more comments. Thanks.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
shadowbuds,
My P1D uses cr 123a bats. Maybe you're thinking of the L1d which uses AA bats. For a nonflashaholic I think AA's might be best. I still use my L1P routinely. If he's a gadget lover he won't mind finding the 123's.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
P1D uses CR123... perhaps you're thinking of the L1DCE?
I wholeheartedly recommend the L1DCE due to its use of AA's.
Maybe later you can buy the P2D tube (it's the same head I think?) when it becomes available.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I ment the L1D. I figure AA batteries are the best because they're everywhere and not very expensive.

ensile

Enlightened
I agree with the simplistic nature of the AA batteries, and from reviews and pics, the l1d-ce is plenty bright with the right battery choice.. these are really cool gifts, i want to get my dad the AAA cree version, or the l1d, have to see some in the flesh though :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, better get the CR123 version rather than the AA version. Simple reason is that, I gave my dad an inova x1 which is on AA. Since he is not a flashaholic like me, he wouldn't really use it much and stays in his briefcase. AA tends to leak if not used alot. CR123 tends not to leak and they have very low discharge rate compared to other battery types. I make it a point to check the lite once every few months to be on the safe side.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
You can still have the stability of Lithium primaries like the CR123A in the AA form factor if you use Energizer e2 Lithium I think? They ain't cheap, but they're nice and last a little longer. Turbo mode also becomes a (very) little bit brighter than max.