• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: your tungsten light

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone got a light made of tungsten and would like to part with it drop me a PM.

And for you trickster out there, I do not want your incands :nana:
I'm more of a white light guy.

Thanx,
Jonathan

Patriot

Flashaholic
Has somebody actually made a light out of tungsten or were you just tossing that out there? I would love to see somebody do this! Great idea.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ever made a tungsten light? --- YES!
PICS -- When I get it.
I'm assuming you meant tungsten coating? --- NO! I'm looking for Tungsten alloy light
The material price is nothing out of the ordinary, maybe twice that of Ti. It's the machining process, that I'm after.

X Racer

Enlightened
AlexGT said:
Would love to see pics of such a beast, good luck! Anything special about tungsten?

AlexGT
Tungsten is insanely hard. I don't think tungsten carbide can be machined at all. I have some tungsten carbide jewelry and I can't even scratch it. Great looking stuff, kind of a black chrome look. Super heavy though...

highorder

Enlightened
I cut my teeth in the shop machining tungsten carbide tooling. it can be worked easily with diamond or CBN wheels. The issue is with fragility... I'm not sure it would make an acceptable body material.

as for machined tungsten:
from www.key-to-metals.com

Metallic tungsten and tungsten alloy mill products account for about 16% of consumption. Tungsten and tungsten alloys dominate the market in applications for which a high-density material (19.3 g/cm3) is required, such as kinetic energy penetrators, counterweights, flywheels, and governors. Other applications include radiation shields and x-ray targets. In wire form, tungsten is used extensively for lighting, electronic devices, and thermocouples.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys want to see such beast, run your CPF search. They are around, made by "The Master"

I never mention anything about Tungsten Carbide.

Tungsten alloy are not that hard. You can machine them with plain old carbide tools and some coolants. The thing is they chip easily (so I was told).

The reason I want it is ... for a good paper weight. ;)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
a high-density material (19.3 g/cm3) ... such as kinetic energy penetrators
Translation: Bullets, etc. Lead is 11.34 g/cm3 so it would do very nicely, and presumeably cheaper than gold.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe these there's a possibility that there is a Larry light made in this material?

DM51

Flashaholic
TorchBoy said:
Translation: Bullets, etc. Lead is 11.34 g/cm3 so it would do very nicely, and presumeably cheaper than gold.
You can't use it for bullets unless it has a jacket (eg. copper) or a sabot. It is too hard, and would strip the barrel rifling. It can be driven with a sabot at extremely high velocity for armour-piercing purposes.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point (no pun intended). It's used for throwing darts too, which I guess explains why they feel rather heavy for their size.

DM51

Flashaholic
They tried tungsten for shotgun pellets too, in an attempt to find a good lead subsitute for environmental reasons. They used tungsten powder for its density, mixed with a polymer binding compound to avoid the tungsten scouring / abrading the barrels.

The pellets had a similar density to lead, so it was good from that point of view, but it was a very expensive alternative. I think there were also issues with the polymer compound disintegrating after a while. There is still no 100% satisfactory lead substitute.

Latest posts