Do HIDs make a noise?

PayBack

Enlightened
I'm just wondering if they do. You see the huge spotlights on TV that make some kind of electric static noise when they start up... do they do that or is it just hollywood? And if so, do HIDs make any kind of noise when starting up?

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certain HID's will make a noise. The noise primarily comes from the ballast. However the noise isn't as loud as some of those huge spotlight noises. A lot of times it's a very faint buzzing sound.

nc987

Enlightened
My HF HID will make a very slight buzz if you put your ear next to it. Not noticable in normal use. Then again, I have yet to find a normal reason or normal use for this light beyond showing my friends and lighting up any random thing within a couple of miles.......

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
nc987 said:
Then again, I have yet to find a normal reason or normal use for this light beyond showing my friends and lighting up any random thing within a couple of miles.......
I've read that it makes a handy locator beacon for out-of-town friends to find your house -- just point it straight up and tell them to drive to the light. Never tried it, but I don't doubt that it works.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
ckthorp said:
I've read that it makes a handy locator beacon for out-of-town friends to find your house -- just point it straight up and tell them to drive to the light. Never tried it, but I don't doubt that it works.

LOL, i bet it would work if they aren't that far away. Just tell them to stop staring into the light while they are driving. if they stop concentrating on the road and it turns then we'll have other problems. :crackup: