After a small RED LED light

Brozneo

Enlightened
Hey,

Im after a small LED light with RED LED's - this is so I can use it at night.

Looking for something around a SF L4 size, running off single or double 123's or AA's... I'm not after anything with huge output tho!

I had a look round but haven't found anything yet, so any suggestions?

Thanks!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Eternalight Derringer? It's small and red, but runs on 3 AAA's and probably isn't the brightness you're looking for.

Geoff

Energie

Enlightened
I like the Fenix LOP SE with a red 1 Watt Lux emitter.
3 stages (no strobe and no SOS), AAA eneloop.
It is bright, smaller than the SF L1 and ideal for closer ranges.

LOP-SE%20RED.jpg

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

I bought a Peak LED AA Kilmanjaro with RED LED, what a disappoinment :thumbsdow The beam was just horrible!! :sick2:

Got a MiniMini Maglite here on CPF with a TerreLUX TLE-5 MiniStar2 RED LED. Great light, mybe to much light... so I put on a SureFire F04 Beam Diffuser Lens, and I had a perfect RED LED light :twothumbs

But it didn't stop there :whistle: Since I like SureFire lights, I got the "old" model L1 with RED LED 2-stage 1.1 - 22 Lumen. I also put a F04 Beam Diffuser Lens on it and it is now my maine RED LED light on travells :twothumbs Just waiting for the Delring switch ring which is in the mail, so it can stand on the tail too...

If you are going for the L1, I think I would recommend the "old" model and not the new one coming later this year as the new 2-stage is from 10 - 65 Lumen and with shorter runtime...

A standard Mini Maglite with the TerraLUX RED LED and F04 is also a very good choice!! :)

PA

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brozneo said:
Hey,

Im after a small LED light with RED LED's - this is so I can use it at night.

Looking for something around a SF L4 size, running off single or double 123's or AA's... I'm not after anything with huge output tho!

I had a look round but haven't found anything yet, so any suggestions?

Thanks!

I just bought This Coast at Lowe's for $30.00. I love my Coast lights. I have four of them now and they are my favorite lights so far. They have great battery life and throw like hell. I also found This Coast, but unfortunately not at Lowe's. It may be more what you are looking for. The one I bought today is 2.67 watts at 22 lumen's and has a Run Time of 115 hours. It is only 3.75" and fits very nicely in the palm of your hand. It also comes with a lanyard and sheath with a Velcro flap. I don't think I have ever seen a 5 LED light as bright white or intense as this one. The red is also very intense.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second an Inova X5(though I don't have one), or my fav that I do own, CMG/Gerber 1xAA red.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone find me an AA equivalent of Inova X5?
Something cheap, red led, long runtime, low output, waterproof, small.:)
Thanks.

LightScene

Enlightened
When I wake up at night I use a CMG Infinity Ultra w/a red LED (1xAA). I love it.

Last edited:

dca2

Enlightened
Here are my reds:

-Peak Mattrhorn 3 LED -- nice, but alot of light (1xAAA)

-CMG Infinity (NOT Gerber) -- very nice, looooong run time, alot easier to operate with the bezel twisty than the Gerber version which has a tailcap twisty, wish it was AAA size (1xAA)

-Gerber Infinity -- see CMG above, terrible artifacts in beam (1xAA)

-Inova Microlight -- tiny, 3 output levels--low, very low and flash (button cell)

-Inova 24/7 -- nice reds + white and all the crazy blinks see this interactive web page - click on products, 24/7, modes , but not as pocketable as the others, but it does have a clip. Just plain cool, get one of these even if you chose something else:grin2:(1xCR123)

-Fauxton -- nice, small, cheap - replaced white LED with Red and went from 2x2016 to 1x2032

-SO-LED from County Comm -- lots of attachment options, low level, info

How much throw and lumens do you actually need from a red light you will be using to preserve night vision? A low red will give suprising results with dark-adapted eyes. They take a little getting used to, weird color renditions--problem if you are using colored maps and need to see the different colors (if this is the case, get a real looooow white)

My favorite in the above is the CMG Infinity with the Peak Matterhorn in close 2nd. I think if I get a Peak Matterhorn 1 LED head, that will take 1st place. These are nice lanyard-around-the-neck size.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that the new L1 will only be available in white. I hope this is wrong.

I hope Maglite comes out with a red Minimag LED. I think it would be a good seller.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Broznco,

I think the Inova X5 is what you're looking for. The red X5 uses one CR123 battery with a permanent battery spacer because it uses the same body as the X5 with white LEDs that uses two CR123s. I have two of these and they are pretty nice lights.

Here's a link http://www.brightguy.com/products/Inova_X5_LED_Flashlight.php

The Surefire KL1 with a red Luxeon is really bright. The Surefire L1 with a red LED is really bright on high, but it might suit you on low.

I get more use out of my ARC AAA with a red LED or a Photon II with a red LED, but your needs might be different. I prefer the ARC and the Photon because of size.

Daniel sk,

I don't have one, but the Peak Kilmanjaro with red LEDs might be what you want.

Here's a link http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Kilmanjaro_HA_7LED.html

I use the CMG Infinity with red LEDs when I want a to use AA batteries with red LEDs. These have one LED and use one battery. If you want one of these, you might try to buy a used one in the B/S/T subforum here on CPF.

Gerber bought out CMG, but I don't have the Gerber model, so I can't comment on these.

22hornet

Enlightened
My fiancée uses and loves her (was mine) ARC AAA/3 red led. It gives enough output for her intended uses and is compact as well as beautiful and extremely well made.
As these colored ARCs are no longer available, a Peak Matterhorn comes close.
For more power, I would suggest the Peak McKinley (with a momentary switch!) which is not longer than a Matterhorn, only fatter.

Kind regards,
Joris

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brozneo said:
Im after a small LED light with RED LED's - this is so I can use it at night.QUOTE]

Pardon the sarcasm, but, uhh you don't need a red led so you can use it at night and do you use white led's during the day?:thinking: Sorry, I'd suggest the Gerber Infinity Ultra also, I don't have one, but I've read that they are tough, waterproof and have really good runtime. Any specific place or application that you'd use the red led for, for instance needing light when you're in the passenger seat of a car and don't want to distract the driver, seeing your way through the house without getting your head bit off by a light sensitive person with a migraine or special ninja covert missions?

Light Headed

Newly Enlightened
I have used this light for over 7 years in the field for working with my telescopes

The CMG Infinity
One tuff light, indestructible
I"ve had the same lithium battery in it from day one
Good light output
Made in USA
And it won't put you in the poor house buying it.
Here's a link where you can check it out.
I'm not endorsing the seller it's just a link I found it at.

http://www.vicomptel.com/CMG/infinity.htm

Light Headed:)

Last edited: