Start 'em early

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I need a LED light for my 1 1/2 year old nephew, he is amazed with flashlights, as most kids are, I just cant afford to give him my EDC E2L. It must me plastic, small enough for a kid and not so small the can get choked on it, and long runtime so it still works after he leaves it on all day.

winterzelt

Banned
jbosman1013 said:
you should get him a forever light its the one you shake

Yeah, but be careful cause the magnet inside could destroy his credit cards :rolleyes:

But seriously no 1,5 year old can shake this thing until it light`s up unless he`s a bodybuilder already ;)... got one from "sunlight" it`s amazing at least the first 2 minutes then it`s just :green: .

It should be a light size of the surefire L1 maybe, tough plastic housing, water resistant ;) , not too bright! (not harmful to the eyes when experementing),
but the most important thing it should not be able to be opened easy because of the small thing`s including batteries inside !!

Hm now what would come to mind ...anyone? maybe a UK but you can dissembel them quite quickly...

Last edited:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Dorcy International Gel Brite - under $10 at Wal-Mart or Target. If runtime is a concern, see if the Nite-IZE PR-LED replacment bulb will fit, or try the Sandwhich Shoppe.

Princeton tec also has some great lights, but they're more expensive. The Attitude and Impact LED run ~$15 - $25.

I'd worry that smaller lights might be too small. A 2AA or 2AAA light or larger has the advantage of being too big to be easily flushed :whistle: or swallowed :eek:oo: .

winterzelt

Banned
jbosman1013 said:
they do make a smaller version and its not hard to shake

sry didn`t know that :whistle:

Just looked into my equippment clauset and found the perfect light ;) ...just have to find a foto of it it`s from varta , nice thing for kid`s made. I`L search.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here's one I like to recommend for kids of all ages. It's the CK Sauce Lightwand. Lots of different color modes or all LEDs (red, green, blue) on for white, uses one AA, and turns itself off after 9 minutes (this can be deactivated). Craig at the LED Museum did a review. Here's a link to it.
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/sauce.htm

Geoff

winterzelt

Banned
OK here it is just found these bad photos which don`t show how cool detailed and well made it is in any way! Believe me I`ve got it in my hands right now!
0472988.jpg
120029.jpg

It has a glow in the dark giant tailcap with clicky, wristband , look`s like crocodile skin rubber outing, 2 aaa batteries inside , not able to open without tool, cool pocketclip to clip it to almost anything , nametag on wristband, plastik lens, incadescent bulb BUT package says dropproof because the whole thing is build shockabsorbant just tryed it ... it is ;), bright well not too bright... a kid`s light, water resistant and the best thing overall about 14 dollars . I really have to say as an adult ... IT ROCK`S :twothumbs

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Everyready with a "Disney Princess" theme from Target for my daughter. It's got a single LED and the head pops out to work as a lamp of sorts.

My suggestion: Get one that requires the user to hold the button down. The kid-themed squeeze lights would be good. Kids will leave flashlights on like nobody's business. My daughter left a Surefire Z3 bezel down on the nightstand. Drained the batteries and was about 9,000 degrees when I went to pick it up!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was about that age, my dad brought me home an army anglehead, I think the c battery version. If I remember correctly it didn't have anything that I could choke on, I could easily use it, but couldn't manage to take out the batteries. I'd for sure suggest something that can float.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
I am sure i don't have to say this....but i will anyway :)

Make sure what ever light it is....that it is child safe.

Stu