Audi R8 LED Headlights

josean

Newly Enlightened
Published today on a blog:

"The Audi R8 claimed to be the world's first car to use LED cluster lights instead of regular headlights."

You can also see a video of the Audi R8 on that website.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Are they crazy?

Lexus showed LED headlights on the LS600 h months ago. :thumbsdow Audi

Here are a few other Lexus "firsts" maybe Audi can claim these too...
New features in LS460, LS460L and LS600 h
1. First car with V8 hybrid engine
2.First car with LED headlight (usually new cars have only taillight LED)
3.First car with 8-gears auto
4. First car with Collision avoidance system using two front cameras and two radar sensors and one camera inside the car (which monitors driver face direction, if he is looking away from the road and there are obstacles ahead, the car will push the brakes gently and warn the driver !!)
5.First car with body temperature sensor (for adaptive A/C)
6.First car with Adaptive Gear ratio power steering (adjust steering sensitivity according to your driving style, your speed and safety state (measured by Precollision system)
7.19 Audio Speakers (450-watt)
8.Auto parallel parking feature (the one which was advertised by BMW few months ago, it is already there in the production Lexus LS460 !!!)
9. Passenger Aircraft style seats!
10. 8 GB Hard Disk drive (HDD) for audio playback!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
too bad lexus isnt jeep, otherwise they might actually be good cars.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
too bad lexus isnt jeep, otherwise they might actually be good cars.

thinking.gif
+1

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stay on topic, please. Don't turn this thread into some off-topic Japanese vs. American car rant.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
cryhavok said:
Are they crazy?

Lexus showed LED headlights on the LS600 h months ago. :thumbsdow Audi

Here are a few other Lexus "firsts" maybe Audi can claim these too...
New features in LS460, LS460L and LS600 h
1. First car with V8 hybrid engine
2.First car with LED headlight (usually new cars have only taillight LED)
3.First car with 8-gears auto
4. First car with Collision avoidance system using two front cameras and two radar sensors and one camera inside the car (which monitors driver face direction, if he is looking away from the road and there are obstacles ahead, the car will push the brakes gently and warn the driver !!)
6.First car with Adaptive Gear ratio power steering (adjust steering sensitivity according to your driving style, your speed and safety state (measured by Precollision system)
7.19 Audio Speakers (450-watt)
8.Auto parallel parking feature (the one which was advertised by BMW few months ago, it is already there in the production Lexus LS460 !!!)
9. Passenger Aircraft style seats!
10. 8 GB Hard Disk drive (HDD) for audio playback!

Only today? I was reeading a mates mag about the audi months back. It mensioned the LED lights then. Not saying they beat lexus....just that they haven't suddenly started using LEDs today.

VW also did a study on it. I heard about that at least 6 months ago. their test unit used osram ostars i beleive.

Stu

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
cryhavok-

As usual, the devil is in the details. Reading press releases or advertising media requires attention to these details.

The Audi R8 will, in fact, be the first production car to have all LED headlights. The Lexus LS600 will have LED on low beams only and use xenon projectors for the high beams.

Also, while the feature set you have detailed for the Lexus is impressive, comparing a luxury sedan to a limited production, mid-engined sports car is not particularly valid.

BTW, neither LED headlight equipped car is available for sale in the US as of today.

Mark

Dobbler

Enlightened
RustyKnee said:
Only today? I was reeading a mates mag about the audi months back. It mensioned the LED lights then. Not saying they beat lexus....just that they haven't suddenly started using LEDs today.

VW also did a study on it. I heard about that at least 6 months ago. their test unit used osram ostars i beleive.

Stu

Audi = VW

They are the same parent corporation.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
josean said:
Additional info here for those interested in the initial topic.

You can also find more info on the LED headlights of the Lexus LS600h
I wonder if these lights will cause a lot of headlight flashing from other drivers due to their very high color temperature? Much like HID lights that were perceived to be on high beam when they were not.

Will they prove to be better than incan lights or are they more of a marketing and design tool?

The LED array on the Audi looks rather ugly to me in the picture. Might look better in real life. Based on that, I probably will not be spending $200,00+ for this car. :laughing:

Based on the limited Lexus and the very limited Audi, I think it will be quite a while before we get to see LED headlights for real.

Mark

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the audi r8 is a beauty. 420 horses and a beautiful interior. This car uses essentially the same platform as the lamborghini gallardo, so we know its good, but LED headlights make this car even more amazing, considering how efficient it already is.

SemiMan

Banned
Flash, I would not be surprised if these did not use 4K color temp LEDS in which case they will look just like regular 4K HIDS.

Semiman

Focal

Newly Enlightened
Audi doesn't equal VW. They mealy share chassis on SOME models. I believe the Bora and A4 share a chassis and the similarities end there I'm afraid.

The Audi R8 has had led headlights in their specification of the R8 for nearly a year I believe. It's a great idea and I'd be surprised if most car manufacturers go that way in the near future. I believe Peugeot have led brake and rear lights already on some models.

So you can kiss goodbye to getting a ticket for having a light out. :)

RustyKnee

Enlightened
Focal said:
Audi doesn't equal VW. They mealy share chassis on SOME models. I believe the Bora and A4 share a chassis and the similarities end there I'm afraid.

The Audi R8 has had led headlights in their specification of the R8 for nearly a year I believe. It's a great idea and I'd be surprised if most car manufacturers go that way in the near future. I believe Peugeot have led brake and rear lights already on some models.

So you can kiss goodbye to getting a ticket for having a light out. :)

Not sure we wer saying they were exactly the same cars hehe. VAG is Volkswagen Audi Group.

Quite a few of european cars have LED rears now. BMW and Merc have used em for a while. aswell as a few others i can't think of....mostly higher end cars though.

Stu

r0b0r

Enlightened
cryhavok said:

They really need to improve on the comfort of that internal temperature probe....

I haven't been able to sit down for a few days :|