Argh. Fried a brand new TLE-5EX. I'm an idiot....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dangit, I always gotta mess with stuff, don't I? Got this new TLE-5EX module in today and plopped it in. Very nice. Noticeably brighter than the standard TLE-5 with a Seoul on it. So like the wannabe-modder/experimenter I am I decided to take the black plastic washer thing on the end of the Maglite so the module would sit lower and have contact with the maglite body for heat transfer. That worked fine. But then I thought hmmm, I have a Mcr20 reflector sitter lets see how that looks. Apparently the end of the reflector shorted across the leads of the emitter cuz I felt heat, smelled some electrical-burning and now it only has about a quarter of the output as before. Sigh. I'm hoping its just the emitter thats' toast, but I think it may be the elecronics.

Energie

Enlightened
KDOG3, I like your posts. Allways action!
smile.gif

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did something similar with a BHC head from H22A. That has an McR 27L reflector installed. The bottom of the reflector sits on the black part of the LED, not the 'wires' that go into TLE board. I also removed about .200 inch from the top of the reflector so the head would screw down more with the terralux installed. The terralux installed ( with the H22A head ) on the standard mini-mag switch is much thicker, as a result, the head does not screw down as much. I have not had any problem with my set up.

Was the McR -20 bored out at the small end ?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
See those little wires below the soft optic? Just takes a little bit of pressure on the dome to break them, especially side-loading.

Energie

Enlightened
Slightly off topic:
I am now 6 month here on CPF and my English is as bad as before.
But I have seen a lot of new therms, especially in your posts.
My favourite is "ARGH!" followed from "DANGIT!!!"

Best wishes for your mods...

big beam

Enlightened
I just got three stars (SSC) from PF for my nuwai 800? 3x3 watt.Put the SSC's in and when I went to tighten the reflector shaved the gummy tops right off the emitter.

You only fail when you push the limits(that's what I tell myself anyway)
DON

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Energie said:
Slightly off topic:
Energie said:
I am now 6 month here on CPF and my English is as bad as before.
But I have seen a lot of new therms, especially in your posts.
My favourite is "ARGH!" followed from "DANGIT!!!"

Best wishes for your mods...

Lol, you made my day :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys think it could be just the emitter? I have a spare Seoul lying here, but don't want to go through the trouble if its the driver board.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grief, I'm just all thumbs today. I found out that it was just the driver, so I tried to take the emitter off to salvage it, but destroyed that too. It gotta be this midnight shift I'm working, got me all messed up. I guess I'm done with that!

Niteowl

Enlightened
KDOG3, big beam, thanks for sharing. Not only did I get a good chuckle at someone else's expense, it also helps knowing I'm not the only one that does that kind of crap!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate it when things goes wrong eh? But thats the best way to learn IHO....experience counts....you'll get over it soon. !