Republican wins Democrat primary election

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Republican wins Democrat primary election as a write-in candidate.

Republican Mayor Lou Barletta of Hazleton, PA won the Democrat primary election as a write-in candidate. He also won the Republican primary with 94% of the vote. He had been toughening the laws against illegal immigration and many Democrats had approached him saying they were sorry that they couldn't vote for him. So the Mayor sent a mailer out with instructions on how to do a write-in candidate entry on the ballot. And he won the Democrat primary in a city where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans 2 to 1.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Wow! There is hope. I had long since written off voters and elections in our system is fairly stagnant. One of the things I always hear is that 3rd parties will never work because write in candidates can't win. If you can win as a write in crossing party lines then surely we could elect a Libertarian, Green Party, or Labor type of candidate. Having a choice of something other than the Republocrats would sure be refreshing.

bitslammer

Enlightened
AndyTiedye said:
How does a mayor toughen laws against illegal immigration?

Yeah I missed that point in my post...and in PA no less. I guess I could see this being a little more of and issue in say El Paso or the like.

I'd say illegal immigration should be about dead last on my mayors list of things to do here where I live. It's a federal and only slightly a state issue. Mayors should focus on the local issues they have real control over. Here's there are only a couple of hundred pressing matters that have languished that are more important. But hey, bashing people who don't look, act or speak like us is a winning political move these days.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
How does a mayor toughen laws against illegal immigration?
From the posted article:
The measure, on hold due to a legal challenge by Hispanic groups and individuals, was approved last summer and emulated by other towns and cities. It would penalize landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and businesses that hire them.
-Bill

PS: I would guess this would be the flip side of Sanctuary States and Cities being provided by state and local officials (list from James Walsh, a former federal prosecutor):

Sanctuary states include Alaska, California, Maine, and Oregon. In New Mexico, Rio Arriba County has declared itself a sanctuary; and among the sanctuary cities are Anchorage, Ala.; Los Angeles, Calif.; Chicago and Evanston, Ill.; Cambridge, Mass.; Portland, Maine; Takoma Park and Garrett Park, Md.; Detroit, Mich.; Minneapolis, Minn.; Durham, N.C.; New York City; Gaston, Ore.; Austin and Houston, Texas; Seattle, Wash.; and Madison, Wis.

Last edited:

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
Given that most cities provide services such as schools and police, and some provide services to the poor and homeless, you bet illegal immigration is a local issue.

And it ain't just El Paso. There are many cities far from the border that have high illegal immigrant populations, Chicago being the classic example. And before you absolve state governments of responsibility, talk to a few prison guards;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/26/AR2006062601240.html

Money quote; "More than 10 percent of California's prison population is in the United States illegally."

Its kinda funny to see the race card played here on the Interweb. I live in a small primarily black city, and immigrant rights rhetoric goes over like the proverbial lead balloon. Strangely enough the progressives studiously avoid accusing the general population of xenophobia or nativism, except in the freebie liberal weekly and in yuppie enclaves.

Empath

Flashaholic
It's closed because it too politically charged. The discussion of topics that knowingly generate conflict, anger, hurt feelings and such are obliged by the Underground. Please give consideration to the direction your thread is likely to go, and avoid those that are basically designated as Underground material.

You have been given a place to post your thoughts. Remember, aversion to the use of the Underground does not grant justification for posting CPFU materials to CPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts