New Batteries

FastSkiing

Newly Enlightened
:thinking: This might be sillly but is it possible to make nuclear powered batteries which are safe to use and also give a vast amount of energy? :crackup:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Techincally, there is already something that has been called a "nuclear battery":

radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG)

A radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG) is a simple electrical generator which obtains its power from radioactive decay. In such a device, the heat released by the decay of a suitable radioactive material is converted into electricity by the Seebeck effect using an array of thermocouples. RTGs can be considered as a type of battery and have been used as power sources in satellites, space probes and unmanned remote facilities. RTGs are usually the most desirable power source for unmanned or unmaintained situations needing a few hundred watts or less of power for durations too long for fuel cells, batteries and generators to provide economically, and in places where solar cells are not viable.
Probably not something you will ever see at home.

-Bill

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow --

That RTG article (on Wiki) was very interesting !

And very technical, too.
smile.gif

Don't think it'll replace our 2700 mAH NiMH cells soon, however.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was also a nuclear powered pacemaker. it was a very heavy hunk of metal with a tiny grain of uranium inside. there were three chambers, and a drop of water. the isotope would heat the water to steam, the steam would pressurize another chamber, then it would condense in the third chamber, and then fall back to the 'heat chamber; no moving parts.. problems were; if it broke it could kill you and everyone around you..it was very expensive and 'valuable' -- the sort of thing someone might want to steal..which would be bad..
radles34.gif

but it's toxic for a thousand years...and more..

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel wow thanks for that link, that's amazing --
but I distinctly recall that this one pacemaker I'm thinking of used a drop of water for a steam-driven pulse -- I think it may have been Japanese..

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedTheLed said:
Just 157 gallons of gas?
That would make an eco-friendly car go for about 12000 kilometres...
I dunno about you, but from something that, if broken, will cause a horrible death I expect something like ten times that figure at the very least.