Which AAA - LOD-CE or a PEAK?

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
I, like many, are looking for the right AAA light. Not many new ones since the Cree/SSC arrived on the scene. Looking for a simple UI with a nice HIGH output. Two levels would be nice. More are unneccesary. $50 or so tops. Some like the ARC just don't offer enough light for my liking.

I've got it narrowed down and I am about to pull the trigger on an LOD-CE but hate that I'll have to do multiple twists to get to high.

I think the only other I'd consider is a Peak. Just starting looking at the Peaks but there is very limited information on them. I see people talking about alternate bodies, clickies, lugs, etc. but their website stinks. Can someone direct me to a site with more info on the Peaks and what is available?

What are the overall lumen ratings for the top rated AAA peak with the SSC?
What are the runtimes?

Thanks a bunch.

Anything esle I should consider?

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a question - Will you really need the 50 or 100+ (10440 battery) lumens for most situations?

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
No, but I LIKE it...

Tried the SSC Huntlight but didn't like just the 20 or so lumens it put out. I currently carry a CR2 Lux 3 light I want to replace with a AAA. The CR2 gets about 50 lumens and I'm happy with that.

adnj

Enlightened
Try the L0D-CE. I think that the first mode is plenty bright. You may never want to get to high.

JML

Enlightened
LumaPower has an "F-Mini" AAA light due in May. Given their track record for quality and design, it's probably wise to wait and see what they can deliver.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's kinda funny that with the LODCE and 10440 you don't even have to twist multiple times for high because standard and low are so bright. I don't own a Peak, and they sound very nice, but I'm sure pleased with the LODCE. It seems to be my new "do everything" light.

jdawz

Newly Enlightened
While I do not have one, I saw the Jetbeam AAA on tadgear.com - looks like the one to get, waterproof to 10 meters and very bright.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kinda funny that with the LODCE and 10440 you don't even have to twist multiple times for high because standard and low are so bright. I don't own a Peak, and they sound very nice, but I'm sure pleased with the LODCE. It seems to be my new "do everything" light.
This is what sealed the deal for me on using the 10440 with the L0D-CE. Instead of twisting three times for high (as I did most of the time with the stock battery) I would twist ONCE and be at "medium" which is actually significantly brighter than the stock light on high.

Many people have been surprised, followed by me shortly switching the light over to the insane high mode :D

Hans

Enlightened
dbhn said:
I've got it narrowed down and I am about to pull the trigger on an LOD-CE but hate that I'll have to do multiple twists to get to high.

I think the only other I'd consider is a Peak. Just starting looking at the Peaks but there is very limited information on them. I see people talking about alternate bodies, clickies, lugs, etc. but their website stinks.

I reckon it all depends on what exactly you want. If you want different levels and a really nice toy, go for the LOD CE. If you want a light that's almost indestructible, go for the Peak.

The Peaks are IMO among the toughest lights out there, but they aren't quite as versatile (or bright) as the LOD CE. Still, in situations where I want a light that won't fail I'd definitely go for the Peak.

Hans

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
dbhn said:
I think the only other I'd consider is a Peak. Just starting looking at the Peaks but there is very limited information on them. I see people talking about alternate bodies, clickies, lugs, etc. but their website stinks. Can someone direct me to a site with more info on the Peaks and what is available?
I suggest that if you want more information about Peak lights, you call Peak LED Solutions directly and request their latest catalog on CD. Or just call them and ask questions. There aren't yet any Peak lights that have multiple levels, BTW.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. For me, I need a reliable, usefually bright, simple light that can power with minimal voltage. That's rules out anything that Fenix has to offer. Both the Peak Matterhorn and Arc-AAA P lights are great lights and will fire on minimal voltage. Neither is brighter than the Peak, however each will outperform Peak as it relates to output vs. runtime vs. most useage from a single AAA-cell.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a forum devoted to Peak LED flashlights here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=64

You may get more responses if you ask your question there.

I have an Arc AAA-P and several Peak lights including 3 Matterhorns. They are well made and employ 5mm LEDs, but aren't as bright as the new Chinese lights.

Peak sells P4 Seoul AAA lights, too, including the Pacific and Baltic models.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
swxb12 said:
100+ (10440 battery) lumens for most situations?
OK that I am ready to take the plunge and feed my LOD-CE a 10440 battery!:naughty:
where's the best place to order them, charger?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
dbhn - as GeorgePaul suggested, call Peak and get a 'catalogue' on CD. The people at Peak are really great to deal with and can help you with answers and explanations. Their website is very uninformative - forget about that. The new Peak AAAs w the Seoul led can be made to almost any brightness/runtime level you want [inversely proportional, of course]. If you appreciate top build quality, which I think is most important in small lights like a single AAA light, Peak is a very strong contender.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD-CE is a fantastic light, AAA or otherwise. I received one from Ray, (thanks Ray!), awhile back and it's become one of my favorites. So tiny and so powerful. I had been waiting for a great AAA light to come along and this fits the bill for me.

I personally don't need all those modes it has as I'm happy with just a low, low and a high. At least they're easy to access with the LOD-CE unlike the early, complicated interfaces of the luxeon sandwiches just a year or so ago.

Like others said, get a couple of 10440 cells with it and you have a winner. Stoked with a 10440, you'll rarely use high but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. Like some other folks, I mainly use low or medium and they work fine for me in most situations and the 10440 cell will power it for a good long time.

These non protected Li-Ion cells like the 10440 seem to last forever sitting around and with an extra 10440 at the ready, you'll have a great little light that will run a LONG time!

Peaks are excellent lights and the build quality is fabulous but these LOD-CEs just do it for me. The only other AAA light that I would consider would the improved model of the Photon Proton.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Liteflux LF2 for about a week (after EDCing a L0D-CE for a few months), and believe it is the best AAA light by far, especially for use with 10440 cells as it is actually fully regulated up to 5V, and has low battery protection. (It "blinks" when the battery is low, then eventually shuts itself off)

With my L0D-CE (now given away as a gift, the Fenix is better off of standard batteries), I've completely run down a 10440 accidentally as the head of the light got squeezed and pressed "on" in my pocket. In the case of the LF2, when the head is tightened the light is off, when loosened 1/4 turn, it is on user-programmable level one, and when loosened 1/2 turn, it's on level two. It's a bit tricky to program, but once done, it's perfect for those who want a no-nonsense two-level light with a low low.

More complicated features are accessed via sequences of switching cycles, including strobe and SOS (with user selectable frequency and intensity), a voltmeter (voltage under load in the last mode used), and a continuously variable brightness mode. The good thing about these extra features is that they are hard to "accidentally" activate for those who prefer a simple interface.

Last edited: