P1D CE or P2D

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
Please help me decide. They are very similar on paper. I am wanting to get one of these but i cant make up my mind. Does anyone have both of these lights and can make a comparison?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have both of them and vote for P2D. P1D is IMO too small to be kept safely in hand and tends to slip away. Additionally the twisty U.I. is nothing to write home about and you have in any case to go through levels to find the one you prefer. With P2 (and P3) you can always use it on low (head loose) or in turbo mode (head tight) without even knowing there are other modes.

The length of P2 is short enough for pocketing and long enough for a good hold. In this respect P3D (which I have too) is a bit too long for a pocket. So I EDC P2D.

winterzelt

Banned
Well I`ve got both too and if you are a freak like me with ultra light backpacking every gramm counts and it may not seem to be much but while the p1d-ce is only 28 grams the p2d-ce is 38 and that is when held in hand or carry in pocket a difference you can feel. The P1d-ce has also less parts which for me means less possibility of trouble. And if I had to give it to my father or other not experienced flashlight users the mechanism of the p1d-ce is far easier to explain in short time like an emergency. On the other hand the P2d-ce has the clicky and the perfect start directly in turbo or low mode which is a definite advance. And the head is compatible with the AA version. That`s why i have both , the p1d-ce for easy and very light and short emergency light and the p2d-ce for edc. Both are great though so you can`t go wrong( at least when you`re more lucky then me and get a well centered Led;(

skyline_man

Banned
go for the p1d ce. It feels more solid and looks better than the p2d ce. Also, it has no clicky so more reliable. After using the p1d ce and then using the p2d ce, i found that the p2d felt slippery and too big as an edc.

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Are their beam characteristics comparable? Does one have more spill than the other or more throw? Just curious.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They should have the same beam characteristic. The P3D-CE should have a bit more throw and spill then the P2D-CE due to being brighter overall.

LightScene

Enlightened
I prefer the P1D-CE because it fits easily in my pants pocket. I don't like a clicky on a small (1xCR123) light.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both......now I only have the P2D CE. The P1D is ok as a twistie only if the thread is nice and tight, if not, you will be changing levels accidentally and this can be frustrating, for me it is, sorry, it was too small. I prefer clicky switch to twisty.......and now I can get spare Fenix bodies with tailcaps for my P2D, such as L1D and L2D........only my opinion.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
P1D CE with Leef body from Lighthound... looks great and function is improved 100% with McClicky tailcap. Search the threads... this is the ultimate EDC!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
One thing to consider with the P1D-CE (which is the only one of the two that I have) is it's small size is really sweet to keep on a keychain. Screwing around with the levels (literally) can be a hassle though. It helps avoid it getting loose by using a thicker lube.

I'll probably pick up that new P3D when it comes out too. Is that gonna be screw or clicky?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P1DCE and a P3DCE and I want to get a P2D. I've just been spending so much on flashlight stuff lately I've been trying to restrain myself. I may just wait until something like a P2D comes along with even more output. That way I can enjoy my P1DCE longer and get more use out of it.

Anyone know if there are still leef bodies available for the P1DCE and if so can someone link me to a place where I can get one? :) So much for no spending more money... :)