LD vs HD - practicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Enlightened
For those of you who have the LD and HD LSs. I find the LD very practical and the beam is already 'sufficiently' tight it seems. Ideal for walking around, working at close distances, etc. But of course, I'm still working under the old paradigm that LEDs are for close distance work.

So the questions:
1. For day to day EDM work, do you find the HD's beams more useful?
2. How much tighter is the HD's beam? How much side spill compared to the LD?
3. Any shots? I know Peter had one a while back but am looking for any others.

Thanks,
MO

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My $.02

In general, the HD puts more light in the hotspot and projects that hotspot further. For really close up work (under 7 feet), I do not think you will be able to tell the difference between the two unless you are using them side by side. Around 20-25 feet and on, the HD will light up an object much better than the LD. I'm not saying it is a good spot light, but you can definitel see the difference as the distance increases. As far as side spill goes, the HD is more than sufficient for walking around. I'm really growing attached to my LS2 blem.

Aloha!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HD SLS2 has a smaller & brighter hotspot than my LS1's. The best part is the side spill beam on the SLS2 is larger in diameter. So in my opinion it is more useful at close range and medium range illumination. The beam of the LS1 is just a blob that gets slowly dimmer as you move out from the center of the beam, then it just abruptly stops. The LS2 on the other hand has a definate hot spot.

Here's some pics:

slscomp2.jpg

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Sean,
Thanks for the pics. I think they definately show an accurate and practical application of the lights. I was wondering about the real differences in HD vs LD as well. I think by your pics and some of the comments I have read that the HD is the future for me. LSH Premium in early '03, better start saving up now.

Now if Santa would just hury up and give me my LS2 blem... I just can't wait to finally own an LS as I hold my "AAA" close.
grin.gif

LLLean

Enlightened
GREAT pix, Sean!! Much thanks. I have to say you always post really good pix.

I'm still trying to decide whether to get the LSH Premium or get that together with a LS1rev2.
I know what you all will say, but my brother will kill me if he finds out how much i'm spending on them.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Thanx Sean! I love the look of the LS2 beam. I agree hotspot is real useful.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean,

Great pix. I was surprised as well by the size of the LS2 side-spill and also by its intensity. Comparable to or even betters the SLS1 I have. I'll know for sure once I've dug up my lightmeter. Actually now that I think of it the spec sheets for the LD and HD do show more light in the wings of the HD than in the batwings hence the side spill should be brighter on the HD (all other things being equal).

Cheers.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should note that the SLS2 shown in the pictures measures 5% dimmer than my LS1 rev2 when I place them both on the sensor.

Now, if I measure them at 16" the SLS2 measures 5% brighter, since the beam is tighter.

But, as always, Brightness will vary.

moses

Enlightened
Sean,

WOW! THanks for going above and beyond to give us a sample.

One question: The HD is obviously much greener than the LS1. And my concern in this case is that the lower the battery drops, the greener it gets. Is it just your camera and the LS1 is really more blue/violet?

Thanks,
MO

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by moses:
Sean,

WOW! THanks for going above and beyond to give us a sample.

One question: The HD is obviously much greener than the LS1. And my concern in this case is that the lower the battery drops, the greener it gets. Is it just your camera and the LS1 is really more blue/violet?

Thanks,
MO
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They all vary, so the next batch of LS2's may be bluish instead of greenish. Since the LS2 doesn't really get dimmer until it goes into moon mode it won't get greener. I change the battery when it goes into moon mode so I haven't paid attention to it to see if it's greener in moon mode.

The pictures are pretty accurate as far as color of the LS1 tint. The SLS2 looks less green and more white in person to me. It's not real obvious unless you are doing a side by side comparison, or if you are a green tint hater.
wink.gif

I prefer the slight green tint to blue/violet because it appears brighter to my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.