SF U2 Ultra Question.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I have recently purchase the U2 from one of the CPF member. I am awared of the tailcap issue. I was wondering who will I contact when there is an issue with mine? Does SF warranty covered international as I am in Australia? I have attempted to contact SF America a few times in the past through their webpage and no reply. What is the best mean to get their attention?

Also is there such thing as SF U2 none ultra and SF U2 ultra?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe SureFire have a phone number for international customers. It shouldn't matter that the product is 2nd hand. I'm not aware of SureFire requiring people to prove they purchased the product new from an authorised SureFire Dealer.

The U2's name is Ultra. Ultra2cell.

Al

LA OZ

Enlightened
Size15's said:
The U2's name is Ultra. Ultra2cell.
Al

Ah, that all make sense now. Same goes with A2, L2 etc.. Thanks.

I will search their website for the international number. I guess a phone call is better than emailing.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 2 tailcaps fail on me, but after I found out how to take them apart I applied a little grease to the moving parts and they both have worked flawlessly.

ja10

Enlightened
LA OZ said:
Ah, that all make sense now. Same goes with A2, L2 etc..

But the same does not go for the L4, L5, L6, L7, etc. Some of the names make sense that way, but others seem to just increment.

LA OZ

Enlightened
FlashKat said:
I had 2 tailcaps fail on me, but after I found out how to take them apart I applied a little grease to the moving parts and they both have worked flawlessly.

What tool do you need to take them apart?

SCblur

Enlightened
I think tailcaps are more or less akin to lamp assemblies, in that if it's a bad one, it will fail very early on. Therefore, if you've had yours for a while without any issues, I'd say you can be pretty confident it's going to continue to function properly. I don't want to spark yet another SF clickie thread, cause gosh knows we've run that one into the ground, but personally, I think it's a minor issue. I've had over 20 SF clickies without ever a single problem. There are several members here that have been less satisfied that I with them, but I think overall, what we perceive as a 'mass clickie malfunction' is rather a product of a vocal minority compared to a satisfied, but silent, majority.

I may be off base here, I'm just basing that off of my consistently good luck with them. Others may tell you otherwise from their own experiences.

Now, about SF customer support. I've called them twice. In my experience, they can be somewhat spotty with email support. Calling them, I think will yield better results for you. They have never asked me to provide proof of purchase. As far as I know, they will warranty any SF light, regardless of how many owners it has had.

Enjoy your U2, mine is my favorite light.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree SCblur that if it is working then you probably don't have to worry about it. For future reference on how to: If you are lucky you can unscrew it by hand. It will screw apart at the line that is about 4mm from the top. If not you can carefully wrap a heavy layer of tape around the top section and hold with pliers and the other side by hand. Be very careful not to scratch the tailcap.
LA OZ said:
What tool do you need to take them apart?

NickDrak

Enlightened
I have had my U2 for about 2 years now, possibly longer (or whenever they first came out with them). After about one year, the rubber button cover on mine fell off, but it still functioned fine. I called SF customer service, and they promptly sent me out a new tailcap that DID NOT work at all??? I called them again and explained my issue to them, and again they sent another tailcap to me. And again, this one did not work:thinking: I tried both of the replacement tailcaps on my 6P as well, and no luck there either. Eventually I took one of the replacement caps apart, and replaced the rubber button on the original tailcap, with one from the non-working replacement tailcap. It is still working fine to this day. I love the U2!!! Just wish SF would get their operation together regarding the U2 tailcap issue....

faco

Enlightened
I'm also from Australia and had a U2 clicky fail after about 6 months ( with only little use), so I emailed Surefire and 5 weeks later got a new clicky in the mail. Still working fine.......

faco

Enlightened
LA OZ said:
faco, did they respond to your email or they just mailed you the clicky?

Mate, they responded to my email within 24hrs to say the clicky is on its way. Surefire normally responds to emails so if needed give email a go.

I once called a retail shop in the USA to ask a few questions on an order, and they had no idea what I was saying, Our Aussie lingo is kind of hard for them to understand so I had to speak slowly. This is the reason why I emailed Surefire first, and it worked for me.

Enjoy your U2, it's a great TORCH :)