Photon Freedom 101

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I just bought a couple of Freedoms and have really liked them for what they are- tiny well designed lighting tools. Well, after researching them for a while to satisy my curiosity, I put all the information I found together since I couldn't find it all in one place. I found some of the info on this forum, so I figured I'd share the final project here. I don't think its any new information, just all writen down together.

I hope its helpful/interesting. Its a little long-winded, but that one little button sure does a lot!:)

If you see anything wrong or think of anything to add, let me know.

LRI PHOTON FREEDOM:

ON/Full Power: (From OFF) Press & Release.

OFF: (From any mode except Signal mode) Press & Release.

Fade Up: (From OFF) Push & Hold till desire level. It will blink once when it reaches full power.

Fade Down: (From ON) Push & Hold till desired level. It will blink once when it reaches lowest power.

Blink Modes: Push & Hold for a few seconds (after reaching full power). First will be slow, medium, fast, and SOS. Keep holding to cycle through them and release at desired mode. You can also stop at each one and change to the next one by Pushing & Holding for a few seconds. Also, if you Release as soon as you reach the blinking modes (when it first flashes off) it will start in SOS instead of slow.

50% Mode: From OFF Push until "first light" and then Release quickly. You can now Push & Hold until it reaches the level you would like. It will be using half the power as usual, so "full power" is 50%. This effects all levels and the blinking modes as well. You can check that you are using this mode by setting it to "full power" and waving it back and forth. In 50% mode it will look like a dotted line (strobing). In normal mode it will be solid. It will return to normal mode when it is turned off.

Signal Mode: Press and Release quickly about 5 times. Now the light works like a momentary switch. Push & Hold until it turns off to return to normal.

Demonstration Mode: This is the way the light comes when new. You can also return to this mode by removing the battery(s) and then Pushing & Holding the switch as you put the battery(s) back in. In this mode none of the blinking modes will work, but all the ON/OFF and brightness controls will work. The light will also turn OFF after about 6 seconds. To exit this mode Push & Hold for about 20 seconds (till it turns OFF) or remove and replace the batteries without Holding the switch.

Tips for not draining batteries by accidentally switching ON: 1) Carry the light turned around in the necklace carrier so that the switch is protected. 2) Set the light in Signal mode when done using it. 3) Keep it in Demonstration Mode until you need one of the other functions, and then reset it when you can.

Covert Shield: A small black tube around the LED that eliminates side-light.

Color Advantages (the short version):
White: Most like natural light, good all around color.
IR(Infrared): For use with Night Vision equipment.
Red: Doesn't disturb night vision. Signal for danger/attention.
Orange: Compromise of Red and Yellow.
Yellow: Projects farther than red. Good general illumination.
Green: Our eyes see green light best, so we can detect many different shades. It is also very efficient.
Blue: Very Bright. Lights up an area well.
Turquoise(NightVisionGreen): Similar to Blue, but lighter.
Purple: Black-light effect.
UV(UltraViolet): Useful in a number of specialty applicaitons

Batteries: IR, Red, Orange, and Yellow should only be used with 1x2032. The rest can be used with 2x2016 (that's how they come) for higher output, or 1x 2032 for longer life.

Changing Batteries: Use a small screwdriver or other small tool to pop the back off. There is a tab close to the keychain hole. Then remove the battery(s) and replace.

Changing LEDs: Use 5mm LEDs. The Freedom gives 3 or 6 volts depending on the batteries used. Once you have taken the battery(s) out, the circuit board should come out fairly easily. It is "plugged" into the LED but isn't otherwise fastened in. Get the back edge started and then you should be able to pull it off the LED. The back of the LED will now be exposed. To remove it use a small tool to push it from the back. NOTE the polarity of the LED. Now cut the leads of the new LED to match the old ones and push it back in, paying attention to the polarity. Now replace the circuit board, batteries, and cover. They are a snug fit to keep water out, but with a little work it should be doable.

Freedom Trivia: Under the battery cap there are different "freedom quotes", such as "Freedom of Speech". It also says "Be Safe, always carry a Photon Microlight."

LINKS:
PhotonLight: http://www.photonlight.com/
Discussion Board: http://forum.photonlight.com/index.php

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Nice first post! That's a lot of info...good job. Now I can throw away my instruction sheet...lol. I love my Freedom too. The low setting is what I really like...comes in handy during the middle of the night.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, NeitherExtreme. My first light, after discovering CPF, was the granddaddy of the Freedom, the Photon 3. Still works great, but I've been considering the Freedom. Thanks for the rundown.

Geoff

strideredc

Enlightened
great post, i didnt know a third of that! teach me to read the instructions in future.
m

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Nice first post and welcome to the Light, NeitherExtreme :D

I've had my Photon Freedom for over 2 years and it has served me well. I actually do know all that information :p

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello NeitherExtreme, welcome to CPF. Thank's for these info, I didn't know the 50% mode, thank's for the tip.

The Photon is a great EDC, I have put tritium and GID powder on it and it is one the best beside-bed light that exist. It has the lowest possible setting of all my lights, wich is really helpfull to keep my night vision. Only downside: the clip. I had to put a carabiner held by a ti wrap on it to get the perfect fast-clip-on-fast-clip-off light.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the welcome guys! This sure is a dangerous site :naughty: but full of great information.

After all my Photon searching, I still have one unanswered question: If I run all the colors with 1x2032, will one color last longer than others (usable light, not looking for brightness here)? Or will they all be about the same, or is completely subjective (whatever color works for me)?

Any thoughts?

Cydonia

Enlightened
The 2032 cell has around 230mAh capacity depending on brand. The 2016 has around 75mAH. So you get 3 times the energy density in a 2032.
By swapping the two 2016's for a 2032 in any given color Photon, you should get a dimmer light running up to 3 times longer. Red and Yellow, which come with 2032 already, may have the longest run time. But I might be wrong... white led running from a 2032 may have more usable light longer. And yeah, I'm a big fan of LRI Photon micro lights..a harsh pusher of them you might say ;) If you don't already have the Photon in UV, try one out. Good 370nm UV. Then go bacteria hunting in the kitchen and bathroom at night! :) Seems the best prices I've come across for Photon's are at this page on batteryjunction. I prefer the cheap simple squeeze version for $5.49. Nothing to break :grin2:

Bearcat

Enlightened
I have a few Photon Freedoms and lots of Clones. I keep a Freedom and a Clone on my key-chain at all times. With all the flashlights that I have, they get used the most. I'm holding off buying a new AAA Cree key-chain light, until one clearly emerges as the best at a reasonable price. I want a reasonably bright light with a run-time like the Fenix EO. Maybe I just want a Cree EO that is twice as bright as a the regular EO, but with the same run-time.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
While at rest, I always keep my Freedom in momentary mode because I've had it come on accidentally, too many times in the pocket. It's a great back up to my AAA keychain light (currently millermod Arc).

Bozzlite

Enlightened
It seems like you are pretty much right on with the operating instructions NeitherExtreme.

You gotta be fast to get it to go directly into the SOS mode. BTW, the speed of the SOS signal is just about perfect. Much better than the sloooow SOS of the L1D CE.

I didn't know about the 50% mode. Don't see a reference to it in the instructions. I'll have to try it.

Mine came with a neat little hat bill clip and holder. I really like that.

Check at Battery Junction and see if they still have their sale going on the Photon Freedom. It was $9.95 when I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Great tip on that sale! I think I might pick up a green one since as far as I can tell, that's the most efficient color out there (the green leds are supposed to be efficient, and i know our eyes are most efficient at that color). I'll probably swap the batteries out for 1x2032.

Any thoughts on covert nose or not? (does it cut out too much of the light?)

vortechs

Enlightened
Hi NeitherExtreme, welcome to CPF! Thanks for posting the convenient summary of information about the LRI Photon Freedom microlight.

One thing that should be added here is some advice on how to change the LED in the Freedom. Here is a tread that has some tips: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/114298

A link to PhotonLight's web page and discussion board would be a nice addition:
PhotonLight: http://www.photonlight.com/
discussion board: http://forum.photonlight.com/index.php

There are some other trivia points that we could probably think of, such as noting that the back of the battery compartment cover of the Freedom has a one of a number of quotes about freedom.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeitherExtreme said:
...I think I might pick up a green one since as far as I can tell, that's the most efficient color out there (the green leds are supposed to be efficient, and i know our eyes are most efficient at that color). I'll probably swap the batteries out for 1x2032.
I always have an NV green with 1x2032 on a short bead chain around my neck.
NeitherExtreme said:
...Any thoughts on covert nose or not? (does it cut out too much of the light?)
Covert is the best for my uses.

"Discretion is the better part of valor." Unknown

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Thanks vortechs, I just updated my original post to include some of that. I didn't know about those quotes, I'll have to go check it out.

Thanks Sub_Umbra as well for your feedback. Seems like a green/covert with a 2032 will make a great compliment with a regular white Freedom.