Besides the Ultrafire C2, what Cree lights have really wide sidespill?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had put up my C2 a while ago after my D-mini came. Then I was playing with my M3 and forgot about it some more. Just for fun, I took it out again the other night and compared its beam to the others. It has a 25-30 percent larger sidespill making it much easier to navigate in confined areas.

What other cree lights have a super huge and bright sidespill?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I love that about the C2. I just compared in with about a dozen different lights...none have a wider spill. The only light I have that matches it is the Hemse from DealExtreme. It's an incan though, using a G&P 9V lamp assembly on 2 RCR123 cells.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Yeah, the C2 looks like a nice light. Too bad it's apparently not available from anybody here in the U.S. and both DX' and Kai's sites are apparently still mostly unusable due to the attacks.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The LOD CE and Draco both have a lot of spill with the Draco having the most of the two I believe.

The Terralux SSC P4 drop-in for mags has a massive beam when the flashlight head is removed. Not very practical though since it can be damaged easily.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
SEMIJim said:
Yeah, the C2 looks like a nice light. Too bad it's apparently not available from anybody here in the U.S. and both DX' and Kai's sites are apparently still mostly unusable due to the attacks.

Hi.

DX is working (somewhat), and as for Kai. Well only time will tell.

Both are aparenrtly using a single front door ssl portal , so any direct link to ex "cree fl's" sub page won't work, endless wait loop.

Both seem to have problems with linking between the ssl and the store DB.

Makes it somewhat unstable when trying to order without a "continue shopping" ssl relay in the cart section.

best of luck to both of them.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Northernflame said:
Hi.

DX is working (somewhat), and as for Kai. Well only time will tell.
For me: Traceroutes to both of 'em currently die before ever getting off CONUS. Haven't been checking KD, until today, but on those occasions where I have gotten a response out of DX, there's been a single "authentication" link. I'd click that and wait.... and wait... and wait... until finally just giving up.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Improovement to the c2 would be:

FWD Clicky.

Spring for the + (positive contact) to connect to protected cells.

Possibly a 2 mode . However with a head twist switch. I hate doubble+ clicking.

Some sugested a 2 18650 tube modele. Nice idea, however the idea would have to be to add more run time. Which will probably require a circuit mod.

The C2 already has an orange peel reflector.

Lastly to get rid of that horrid purple tint.

As for more side spill and still have throw.

Try lumapower hunter or:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3356

Enjoy.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
SEMIJim said:
For me: Traceroutes to both of 'em currently die before ever getting off CONUS. Haven't been checking KD, until today, but on those occasions where I have gotten a response out of DX, there's been a single "authentication" link. I'd click that and wait.... and wait... and wait... until finally just giving up.

At the moment dealextreme is running without the SSL server.

Both Kai and DX work better with firefox 1.5.0 or later.

Just remember to flush the firefox buffers and cookies first.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northernflame said:
Improovement to the c2 would be:

FWD Clicky.

Spring for the + (positive contact) to connect to protected cells.

Possibly a 2 mode . However with a head twist switch. I hate doubble+ clicking.

Some sugested a 2 18650 tube modele. Nice idea, however the idea would have to be to add more run time. Which will probably require a circuit mod.

The C2 already has an orange peel reflector.

Lastly to get rid of that horrid purple tint.
Well, I got a couple C2s -- one from DX (soft finish) another from Kai (Hard anodize). The Kaidomain one had the purple tint, which I didn't like. I ended up dropping the light engine from the DX C2 into the Kai C2. I also added a + end spring, and replaced the button with a forward clicky.

Aboslutely amazing light with those changes, I now use it more often than my Lumapower M1 (which I have since modded with a lens for pure throw).

Two batteries would extend runtime, though probably not 2 to 1. The light is fairly well current regulated, delivering around an amp to the emitter (I replaced hte emitter that was purple with a different Cree, and took some measruements) regardless of the battery used. Power drawn from the batteries appears to be constant as well, as the current drawn from reachrgeable 3.7V cells is less than the current drawn from regular CR123s, or 18650. So a longer tube would give it longer runtime out of the box. It would also stay in regulation better, as the light is a buck circuit (steps voltage down) and about halfway through the runtime on 1x18650 the driver falls out of regulation and starts getting dimmer.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
I have the Huntlight FT01 Cree and I am very impressed with the sidespill using the OP reflector. The sidespill is fairly bright throughout as well.