Wolf Eyes LED tailcaps

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Does anybody know if there are differences in output of the different Wolf Eyes LED tailcaps? There is a version for the 3.7-6.0V lights, on for the 9V raider series, and one for the 9-13V Rattlesnake series. I have a red tailcap in the 3.7V series, and a blue tailcap in the 9V raider series. The red tailcap is too dim to really be useful, but the blue is very nice. I'm wondering if the difference is just due to the color of the LEDs, or if it is becasue of the voltage difference. I could use a 9V red cap, but only if it is brighter than the 3.7V red. Anybody know? Thought I would ask--thanks for the help!!
-mike

Glen C

Enlightened
Mike, there is a difference, both between models and colours. Red is the dimmest, white brightest and blue, green being very usefully bright. The 6 series provide 3.5 lumens on a 168A, 5 lumens on CR123. The 9 series provides 5 on both. The M90 provides 5 on rechargeables, 7 on primaries.

So your red has everything against it, I am guessing 2 - 2.5 lumens, the blue is probably 5 on the Raider. Hope that helps. Glen

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they use the same resistor value for all the different caps, then the lower voltages would not supply as much current to the diodes and they would be dimmer. If you are brave, you could flash the cap with a 9v battery to see if it is brighter. It may fry the LED's so proceed at your own risk.

I have the rechargeable Rattlesnake model with the white LED tailcap and it is not that bright. It has the standard generic China led's which vary from lot to lot in brightness and tint. The tint is nice but I have seen brighter.

GreySave

Enlightened
Mike:

I have a red LED tail cap on a Raider. It's not going to light up a wide or deep area like a Kroma will, bit it provides a decent spot beam with dim side spill. It is useable, especially at the fairly inexpensive price, although I would have to say that it is less useable outdoors against the lawn, foilage, etc... Indoors.....Not bad.

I recall others with 6 Series lights commenting on how dim the LED tail caps were. I believe that one person said he had to hold it right up to what he was reading for it to provide enough light to read by. The 9 Series tailcaps are much brighter than that, so there may be a significant difference.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and try the red on the Raider. Alan: yea, I have to hold my 6-series red right up to the chart or whatever I'm reading. But as I said, the blue on the Raider is quite useful.
:thanks:

GreySave

Enlightened
Mike:

Just for grins I loaded the red LED tail cap on at lunch and went into the semi dark basement. Even though it was quite light it still threw a moderate sized spot against the far wall (about 50 feet). I also tried reading with it and while the hotspot is probably a bit too intense for that the sidespill lit up a ful page just fine. I think you'll be happy with it, especially given its modest price.

It is not the cleanest beam but again a good value for the money.