Frustrating P1 D

lordrobs

Newly Enlightened
Since getting my P1 D at christmas its always been a bit hit and miss when switching it on. A twist of the head doesn't give a positive 'ON' instead it flickers and flashes at first and requires more of a twist to get it to stay on. This would be fine with a normal light but as teh D series relies on quick flicks of the head to change between modes its a PITA.

95% of the time I want to be using the light on medium, however because of the way it comes on I'm sometimes left thinking "Is this on medium or high?" If I check then most of the time it is on medium, sometimes I find that it was infact on high and other times I try to change to the next mode and end up on strobe or SOS :crazy:

Is there anything I can do to help ease the problem? I think its magnified by the bezel being very stiff to turn, is there anything I can do about that at all?

Thanks in advance :twothumbs

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I returned my P1D-CE, I found that it was easiest to first tighten fully, then back off a tiny bit so that I could turn it on and choose a level with short, precise twists. There was less of a chance for me to mess up that way.

Ritch

Enlightened
A Leef body for the P1 D could solve your problem. I have purchased 2 units for my early P1 D CE's, which had wobbling heads and turning on mostly was a "brightness level lottery". The P1 D head with Leef body is a great little flashlight. You can ride through the levels rapidly and trouble-free.

://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161462&highlight=leef

edit: To keep fair, there must be mentioned, that the later P1D CE's are better machined, changing the levels is rather smooth. You can read about in the CPF-P1D CE threads.

richard

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
got these flickering on all the older 2-way Fenixes and thus like the new D models for changing the levels via switch/circuit.

Did You try wiping any debrits off the treads + greasing with the conductive Nyogel?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I think I had a simular problem with mine. I took of the head and cleaned the surfaces, they where a bit dirty, and then I cleaned the top of the tube that make the contact with the head. applied some lube on the threads to make it easier to twist.

I had a invova X1 that flickerd when, had to scrape some coating that was on the sorface between the tailcap and the body, after that it worked perfectly!

Maybe its simple as that, otherwise I have no clue... :)

Last edited: