ARC AAA knurling too sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

patg

Newly Enlightened
Its sandpaper finish scrapes and wears everything that it comes into contact with- keys, knives, pocket lining, teeth. This is the biggest detraction for me on what is an otherwise really excellent light. I wish the knurling were more like you'd see on ratchet wrenches- coarse and not sharp.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi patg...

I personally prefer the finish the way it is, but I can understand your comments.

For what its worth, I have found that the finish will "smooth out" quite a bit, and be more along the lines of what you`re after, if you carry the Arc AAA in one of your trouser pockets with some loose change for a while.

You could also undoubtedly buff out the "sharpness" you`re objecting to by using some type of abrasive and/or grinding stone.

In any event, good luck to you!

Darell

Flashaholic
With such a small light, the sharp knurling is almost a necessity. If the thing gets wet, or you have cold hands, the extra grips comes in REALLY handy. Yes, it does abrade, but using a Kydex sheath can mitigate that issue.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I traded with my wife after the knurling on mine had worn down a bit from carring in my pocket with loose change and my wife's was still sharp. I like the sharp edge but they only were sharp for about 2 weeks then it was very similiar to a rachet, like described earlier.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The knurl has undergone several changes over the last 2 years. One of the features we changed was the geometry of each spike to make them wear better.

The Arc-AAA knurl has been used to file finger nails, remove sharp edges from wood or metal items and I have even heard of it being used once to get a car going again. The battery contacts had becomed fouled and the owner used his Arc-AAA to clean the gunk out of the contacts and was able to get back on the road again.

Peter Gransee

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Please DO NOT lessen the knurling of the AAA. If anything, it could stand to be a bit more agressive. I say this even though my AAA-LE tore up my lighter that I keep in the same pocket

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
When I first got my AAA-LE I made the mistake of putting it in the same pocket with my pager! It chewed it up pretty good, but I still like it sharp!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please keep it sharp.
And sharpen the knurling of the LS2 while you're at it.
In its present state I don't know why you even bothered.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by GJW:
In its present state I don't know why you even bothered.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ouch GJW! I specifically changed the knurl on the LS from the AAA so that it would be slimmer, less likely to tear things up (it's larger size makes it less useful as a file) and still provide plenty of grip. As you may remember, I tested the prototypes using wet ski gloves to turn it on and off.

Peter Gransee

mc

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Peter:
I specifically changed the knurl on the LS from the AAA so that it would be slimmer, less likely to tear things up (it's larger size makes it less useful as a file) and still provide plenty of grip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am very happy with the LS knurl, well done.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the sharper the better!

...as i've said before...

grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, these are lights, not knives..... Or are you guys hinting to PG to make a combo knive light in a super small super useful package?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.