Powerizer NiMH D cell?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Mine have been flawless so far, granted, they haven't had a huge amount of use. I run them through a full charge/discharge/charge cycle about once every 2-3 months, and they sit in stock mags waiting for power outages. Same goes for some Tenergy brand C size cells. My C and D size cheapo china cells have been really decent as far as consistency, and low self-discharge goes. They're the only NIMH cells I own that I can rely on to have juice in em, even after a month or 2. The rest are AA and AAA stuff, some powerizers, some tenergies, most of them have been ok, inconsistancy from cell to cell is showing up more and more with increased cycles, the energizer AAs are totally crap(from full charge to dead in 3-6 days resting), and some of my tenergy brand AAAs have totally gone dud on me.

For the money, I'm pleased with the Powerizer D cells. Though if you are willing to spend more, there are better cells out there worth a look.

Thanks mdocod,

The price caught my eye. I only need six to fill up my 6D mag ROP project. I've seen other D cells but it could cost me $75 instead of $36 to fill the bill and that seemed a little over the top for my first build. If you have other recommendations I'm all ears!

Thanks again

mdocod

Flashaholic
For a 6D ROP the powerizers will work fine, they can deliver that current without even breaking a sweat. expect over 2 hours runtime. Spend the money you save on a QUALITY charger instead.

A MAHA C808M is considered one of the best available for dealing with large capacity loose cells. I highly recommend spending the money there for your ROP charging.

I don't trust Maha. I've had one for several years and it has baked my batteries to death which is strange when you consider it had a temperature sensor on it. It has always been flakey. Sometime it would charge and sometime it wouldn't. Just recently, the original wall wart died! That's the only wall wart I've ever seen croak. For my new charger I'm going with the Triton2. That will give me the widest possible array of battery shapes, sizes and chemistries.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also had good results with cheap Powerizer D NiMH cells. I love the package deals from Batteryspace.com. I mostly use them in a 6D cd boombox and with the higher priced D cells a 6D set can often cost more than the boombox itself.

I've just ordered six from zbattery.com. $6 per cell was the best price I could find. Plus $7 shipping. I looked at some other brands and wondered at twice the price could the others honestly be twice as good? Perhaps they will last longer but will they take twice the number of charge/discharge cycles?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I'm wondering. The MAHA Powerex batteries cost twice as much for 10% more rated capacity.

Has there been a NiMH D (or C) comparison done recently?