• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Shark Advisory

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last batch of Sharks we just made have some of the converter boards improperly loaded capacitors C3, C5.

See this thread for more information. If you have one and you can move the capacitors yourself then both C3 and C5 are the same value so it doesn't matter which one you put in which spot.

If you have one that is loaded incorrectly please contact the Shoppe and we will work with you to get it replaced.

We are now sorting out the lot and weeding out all the ones that have C3, C5 improperly loaded and are correcting them.

I believe the time window affects all Shark Converter boards sold in the last month or so.

Wayne

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a few (4) sharks from you between yesterday and today....will you be able to sort it out before sending them out to me so that I don't have to waste time figuring out whats what?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one good one and one bad one on my last order. Message was sent Thursday using the Shoppe's Contact Us page but no response yet.

Ms_SS

Enlightened
Wayne just checked and corrected all the Sharks in our inventory. All Sharks shipped after Wednesday are fine.

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been reports on the latest version that is configured for 26V output that with no load the Shark tends to fry itself. I have not confirmed this. I would be careful powering up the Shark now with no load till this can be determined safe or not.

Wayne

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a DOA shark back. I've identified what's wrong. Resistor R4 is loaded with the incorrect value. This one measured 100k with the DMM.

The value should be 4.98k. The 100k sets Vout to be a couple of volts. The output will track the input will be the symptom of this wrong resistor. The Shark is ok and if the R4 is changed will make the Shark start working correctly.

If you get a Shark that has this symptom vout tracks Vin and if R4 is 100k you can:

1) Have the Shoppe send you a replacement (you'll need to send the DOA back).

2) Short R4. This will remove the voltage mode feature and you will no longer have open load protection.

3) Change R4 to a 4.98k. You'll have to source the resistor as it's probably not something I'd want to ship is a single 0402 resistor.

You might want to get a replacement as we are implementing the chageover to have all Sharks pre-loaded with the Copper C.

Wayne

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just rode my bike to the hardware store to pick up a small sheet of copper for heatsinking after blowing my second shark.
Upon opening the new shark I was pleasantly surprised to see it already had a new C shaped copped heatsink in place!

Would it be a good idea to thermal epoxy a disc of copper to the C to help further with heat?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just rode my bike to the hardware store to pick up a small sheet of copper for heatsinking after blowing my second shark.
Upon opening the new shark I was pleasantly surprised to see it already had a new C shaped copped heatsink in place!

Would it be a good idea to thermal epoxy a disc of copper to the C to help further with heat?

It's always a recommendation to mount the shark to as much heat sink as possible. The board by itself is not safe, even with the copper C attached. Additional heat sinking is required. Putting the whole assembly inside a box is not a good idea. There must be some way to move the heat to the outside real air. Trapping it inside a box is not recommended.

Wayne

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
-=:| edit - I discovered the cause new post below this |:=-

I removed the sharks from the sinks (which are still in the tube) and tested each of them individually and now none of them work. Something has gone terribly wrong. I feel like I just flushed $115 down the toilet. (3 blue sharks, one remora, 3 shark sinks, shipping). Is there anything you or the shoppe can do for me?

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I've just discovered the cause of my tragedy. In a brilliant move, I had the input poliarity reveresed. One single deadly mistake and poof, all three sharks fried at once. (No reverse polarity protection on these like there is on the shark bucks. Damn!)

I don't suppose there's an exchange/recycle program for humble modders with ten thumbs?