Commute from Downey to Riverside

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I posted a while back inquiring about good neighborhoods in Los Angeles. I appreciated all the helpful responses. My wife and I just signed a contract on a contract on a fairly decent apartment in Downey, and are finalizing preparations for our move.

Now I have a new question: My wife will soon have interviews for several jobs, including one in Riverside, about 50 miles away, and we're trying to decide if the commute is worth it. Has anyone on the forum experienced the drive from Downey to Riverside during the morning rush hour, and back during the evening rush? If so, how is traffic? What speed do you think you averaged, and how long should we expect it to take?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
How cool, I live right next door to you guys In Bellflower, CA :)

Drive to Riverside Is not that bad, there's lots of traffic towards the end though.
I used to go to Riverside about 2x a week to a friends house, used to take me about 1 to 1.5hrs. So, It's not that bad.
I have friends that work In Fontana.

For speed average :thinking: . I would say around 55-65mph.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd chime in here, as I live in Anaheim Hills. Depending on where in Riverside you're heading I'm probably a bit past the half way point for you. In the morning it can be hit or miss. Usually you'll slow down as you come around the hill by the Green River exit...which is just before Corona. People just seem to always slow down there regardless of any obstructions. Construction seems to be ever-present on all of the highways that hit the 91 in Riverside county, so that tends to add a bit of traffic now and then.

We first moved here when my father's job moved from LA to Ontario. His original commute, which was Long Beach to LA, had suddenly doubled. Moved here and the time was at least cut in half. Commute on the way home was even faster. This was also before all of the express lanes.

Figured I'd just throw in that info for shits and giggles. Good luck!