L2D-CE tailcap mod

joerky

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

As you know, the fenix should be able to stand on the tailcap:
Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle

But mine got a problem to stand on a flat surface - because the switch is not plan enough. The rubber thing ist too big.

So i decidet to mod the switch.

I unscewed the silver ring and here are the pieces of the tailcap:
504293518_3aeb63c41f.jpg

You see 4 pieces and additional a piece i cutted from a bike tube. That piece fits on the rubber cap:
504293522_5053053fb1.jpg

So it comes a little bit lower in the tailcap - and the Rubbercap is now low enough that the tailcap can stand on a flat surface:
504293524_cb367aa3f6.jpg

Here it stands:
504293526_adf41e473d.jpg

That was easy and it kepps the waterresistance - because the additional piece is also made of rubber.

Greetings from Germany

Joerky

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, thanks.:)

I had the same problem with my P2D CE but when I started loosening the retaining ring inside the tailcap I noticed that it was too tight. In other words it had been screwed in too much. So I just took it out, put some silicone grease between rubber cap and metal as well as on the threads and when reinstalling the switch I just tightened the ring with a toothpick. The rubber booth was now perfectly flush with the body.
So before cutting a rubber washer as you did it is worthwhile just to check how far the retaining ring is screwed in. It may well be that in the factory they use a special tool for inserting and tightening the retaining ring and in some cases they may go too far. This pushes the switch inside the tailcap a bit too much.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see there are some parts that might need some silicon grease - will it void the warranty when I open the tailcap? How difficult is it to open?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all don't worry about the warranty, you are not really opening anything. When you look inside the tailcap you notice a metallic ring with two small holes: it is the switch retaining ring. You unscrew it with a pair of tweezers or pliers and you get the pieces shown in joerky's pics above. You just put some of the usual silicone grease on the lip of the rubber boot and on the threads, then put everything together avoiding an excessive tightening of the ring.

That's all.:eek:

orionlion82

Enlightened
My cap "puffs out" when the light gets hot, likely due to the expanding air inside.

i just unscrew the cap and let teh air out, and its fine.

it allso means its got a good seal.

i kind of like it because it indicates i can still get it wet without worry, and it really is no trouble to "burp" it...