Cyclist in need of help!

phil000

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow CPF'ers:

My mother is about to start doing brevets on her bike (apparently 400 miles? over 20 hours?) and as this has been a goal of hers for a while, I would love to help her reach that goal, brightly and safely. She has a bike light that she wants to get but costs 160$! I know with the recent Cree deveopments that I can do brighter for cheaper and was wondering if you know where I could find:

Mounting hardware for attaching say a Fenix L2D or two
Any new cree bike lights?

I heard about one guy mounting a P1D in his helmet, which got me how he did it...

The search function was dead when I posted this, so please forgive me if this has been posted/asked before. I'm scrambling to get all this stuff together for her before her ride on Saturday (the 26th), so any information that you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks all,
Phil

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
phil000 said:
Hello fellow CPF'ers:

My mother is about to start doing brevets on her bike (apparently 400 miles? over 20 hours?) and as this has been a goal of hers for a while, I would love to help her reach that goal, brightly and safely. She has a bike light that she wants to get but costs 160$! I know with the recent Cree deveopments that I can do brighter for cheaper and was wondering if you know where I could find:

Mounting hardware for attaching say a Fenix L2D or two
Any new cree bike lights?

I heard about one guy mounting a P1D in his helmet, which got me how he did it...

The search function was dead when I posted this, so please forgive me if this has been posted/asked before. I'm scrambling to get all this stuff together for her before her ride on Saturday (the 26th), so any information that you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks all,
Phil

No Cree bike lights exist that I know of. The only way to get a decent bike light is to improvise. I use a Princeton Tec Apex modified with a Seoul P4 as a "helmet" light. It is sufficiently bright to be seen with and also to ride single track at night.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
I think Long John's super thread shall provide me with ample reading for tonight and tomorrow...:grin2:

I appreciate the responses I've gotten so far...you guys are so helpful, thank you all so much!

Phil

Last edited:

phil000

Newly Enlightened
Well here's the outcome: 2 L2d's and 2 of the omniclops lighthound clampies are on their way, thank you all so much :)

I will let you guys know the outcome of this so that you can add it to your long long Thread :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've used the twofish lockblocks with great luck. They're handy for holding lights, mp3 players, etc.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
Here is my helmet light.. I am using the Fenix L1D-CE flashlight.. I would say look at a handlebar mounted light and supplement with a helmet light.. I think the new P3d-ce would be a great choice because of the longer burn times you can get. The batteries are more costly using cr123's or you could carry a bunch of aa batteries for the l1d-ce.

To affix to my helmet, I am using a zefal doodad plus which is made to affix a pump to your bike but works well for attaching a flashlight to your helmet.. It can found in your LBS or online for about 10.00.. I am still waiting for my twofish bikeblocks that I ordered over a week ago to test out..

Here are some reviews of new lights..
http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php

I have included some pics of the light mounted on my helmet.. It weighs 2.8 ounces with battery and is a suberb supplement to anyone on the road..

Good Luck and stay safe..

http://www.geocities.com/mar10stuff/fenixlidhelmetlight.jpg

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of bike like is your mother looking at for $160? I remember paying that for my first bike like. It's a Planet Bike 15w Insight. (it's a great light, by the way) Is she looking for an LED or incan? How long does she need the light for?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Ditto what Long John said... there are some good threads on this subject - check out https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97113 for some ideas.

I like Buz's idea so much, I might pick up a couple for commuting purposes! :cool:

You may have her strap on one of those lights to the top of her helmet as that lets her point one light in the direction she is looking. All she has to do is go to her local bike shop and buy a couple of velcro straps that people use to attach pumps to their bikes.. like these:
img0005yt5.jpg

You can use them to strap any light from a PT Apex to a a small 1xCR123 / 1xAA or 2xCR123 / 2xAA lights.

Check out PT Apex attached to helmet using two velcro straps:
img1217eq4.jpg

A SF E1L w/ F04 beamshaper using one velcro strap:
img0011qs1.jpg
img0013ld2.jpg

Good luck to your mom on her ride!

Last edited: