TwinTask 3C vs Fenix L1D CE - Help

Liberty45ACP

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I'm still trying to work all the number out to something understandable. I currently have a TwinTask 3C. I'm looking for something more pocketable and with a good bit more throw & brightness. I've waded through some of the numbers on FlashlightReview.com, but can't be sure what they all mean. It looks like the L1D CE wouldn't be much brighter than the TT on high. Is that right? Thanks for your patience.

---Bill Tuttle

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Enlightened
First I would like to say Welcome to CPF Liberty45ACP. When I first read your post, I thought "Well that's ridiculous, of course the 3C Twin Task is brighter than the L1D CE." Then I got them both out and shined them on my white wall. Lo and behold....I think the L1D is a bit brighter than the TT.

If you want a more pocketable light than the 3C TT, with more brightness, I would suggest the Fenix L2D CE. It runs on 2 AA's and is substantially brighter than the L1D CE in turbo mode.

Better yet, get the L1D CE and order the L2D spare body. Simply switch the head and tail cap from one light to the other. Then you can have both. Or Vice Versa if you want the L2D holster. I really like the L1D CE. Very versatile light. 3 standard modes, low, med, high. It also has strobe and SOS mode.

Check it out at Fenix-store.com. Free shipping and a discount if you use the CPF5 or CPF8 coupon code. I hope that's right.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looking at the output numbers on FLR, the TT3C has an output of 12.8 on LEDs and 33.5 on the incan. The L1D-CE has an ouput of 44.5 on 1xAA alkie. With 3 volts in it (either 2xAA or 1x3V lithium AA [hard to find], - a 3.7 V Li-ion AA battery would be even brighter), it has an output of 88.

Thus, the L1D-CE basically kicks the TT3C's butt despite its smaller size: 33% more output on 1xAA, 167%+ more (i.e. factor 2.67 X more) on a Li-ion AA or 2x regular AAs (in a 2xAA body, L2D-CE has the same head). This is the incan - the difference is almost 3x grreater for the TT3Cs LEDs.

TT3C claims to have longer run time (5 hrs) at maxon the incan, but this is not confirmed by any measurements.

The brightness numbers are different are different but tell about the same story, the L1D-CE kicks butt. I have one and it is hard to do any better.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want throw + brightness at a budget, then this(Ultrafire C2, Review) will be pretty good(6000 Lux vs 1200 of the twintask 3C). Batteries, Charger,
About $35 total
Or this(Ultrafire C3, Review, 1200 Lux, about the same as the Twintask, $18)
They are all single mode lights though.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Hi Liberty45ACP, welcome to the Light...

In case you need even more positives, I'll add one :D
L1DCE is hard to beat for a pocket light. Brightness on a single AA is fantastic. With the 2AA body, it's even more versatile and brighter.

Liberty45ACP

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All. I wasn't sure how the LED stacked up against the incandescent in the TT. The L2D sounds like maybe what I want. At least at this point. :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
None of the Twin Tasks are noted for being much in the way of brightness.

I have my 1L and 2L with Krolls and on Led mode always. And I hardly ever touch my 3C.

I have a Fenix P1 (1 x 123 and single level output) that does all I need and takes up only a small bit on my belt!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I bought the 2L version of the twin task and the 3C version. They are both good, useful, bright enough for most things you would want them for and they are a good price. The fenix is going to be quite a bit brighter though. I wouldnt but the twin tasks anymore but now that i have them I still will use them.

BGater

Enlightened
I have a TwinTask 2D. My L1Dce smokes it IMHO.

I did use the TT a bunch back in December, though. We had an ice storm and was without power for 6 days. I put the generator in a pop up hunting hut, and left the shoot through windows open. I hung the TT from the roof with its lanyard, left the LED's on all night so I could just look out the back window see the fuel gauge without having to go outside. I could get several days on a set of batteries.